GS-1000 review in HI-FI Choice December issue
Nov 17, 2006 at 7:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MTL

100+ Head-Fier
To cut a long (well, in fact not so long: it's after all just one page...) story short: they do quite like it.
Here's their summing up:
Pro:
Detail, neutrality [sic!] and musicality all exceed what we had previously thought possible. Admirably unfussy about partnering equipment.
Con:
Once heard, can induce lasting depression regarding almost every other hi-fi experience. Ear pads can make your ears feel warm after extended listening.
Conclusion:
This may well be the finest electricity-to-sound transducer in the world. If you don't want to be haunted by the suspicion that your interest in audio is terminally superficial, you absolutely must hear a pair of these.

Nov 17, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #2 of 8
Just read it in Borders. 95% valur rating. I'd say they were spot on. Interesting comment about the passing pro musician. They didn't say if it was some jobbing session guy or a minted star though!
tongue.gif

Nov 17, 2006 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 8
Yep - that seems spot on.

Audiofiler, myself, yellowfella seem to be the only ones vouching for the GS's here on A'gon. Well, except for MarkL who gave a great review of them. It's nice to get a positive sanity check since so many headfiers think they suck.

Thanks for the info about he review
gs1000.gif
They are part of my 3 keeper phones. The rest of my phones have been renderred irrelevant including the RS-1.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:49 PM Post #4 of 8
I hold the GS1K in higher esteem than many here, but I eventually sold them because I bought them expecting and soon found out the following isn't true... "admirably unfussy about partnering equipment." I didn't want to invest in new equipment to support it so to the for sale forum they went. Anyone who has listened at a meet will find out how shockingly different especially the midrange can sound paired with different amps. It's not subtle (mids nearly disappeared with a Mapletree, pushed foward with a MPX3, in between with the Zana Deux, etc.). Haven't seen the article to know what equipment was used for testing, but I'd take that statement with a block of salt.

Nov 17, 2006 at 10:58 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hold the GS1K in higher esteem than many here, but I eventually sold them because I bought them expecting and soon found out the following isn't true... "admirably unfussy about partnering equipment." I didn't want to invest in new equipment to support it so to the for sale forum they went. Anyone who has listened at a meet will find out how shockingly different especially the midrange can sound paired with different amps. It's not subtle (mids nearly disappeared with a Mapletree, pushed foward with a MPX3, in between with the Zana Deux, etc.). Haven't seen the article to know what equipment was used for testing, but I'd take that statement with a block of salt.

I agree with you in regards to that statement too "admirably unfussy about partnering equipment". I guess that negates my spot on statement. This really suprised me becuase I thought the GS-1000s used the same driver as the RS-1
confused.gif
which seems to sound good out of almost anything.

Nov 17, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #6 of 8
I originally thought it was the soundstage that were causing my eventual dislike of the GS1000. But at the recent meet I tried the GS1000 pads for an extended time on my PS-1 and found this to be the perfect headphone for me. It didn't change it's sound signature but just opened things up more and kept all the fun and excitement of the PS-1. The harmonic mids were still there and much better than the GS1000 and it also had the quickness to handle rock.

It think it's just the way the GS1000 driver was tuned vs the new pads and soundstage that I don't like. I assumed you couldn't do rock and have a bigger soundstage but the PS-1 w/GS1000 proved me wrong. I think the GS1000 was purposely tuned much more neutral to handle classical and other genre's that the RS-1 didn't excel in. I believe if John wants to make a RS-1 with soundstage, it's possible. Not sure if it will happen but he does call the new line a Statement Series which could imply more than one headphone in this new category.

After that meet I kind of drop out of here because I realized I had the perfect setup for my taste. The only thing I'm waiting on is to buy a set of the GS1000 pads. As far as I know they're not available separately yet but if anyone knows where I can get them, let me know. Thanks.

Nov 18, 2006 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I also agree, re: source equipment. Some have reported here that the GS-1000 has harsher highs than the RS-1.

Recently, I had an RS-1 and the GS-1000 in the house, and out of a PS Audio GCHA, the highs on the GS-1000 were just awesome! Smooth, airy, extended, and not harsh or artificial sounding at all!

To me, midbass is still a slight issue. Out of my Zhaolu amp, it's not so bad. But it's accentuated through the GCHA. If I could get the highs of the latter with the bass of the former, I'd be in Grado heaven. As it is, I'm just on Cloud 9
biggrin.gif

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone who has listened will find out how shockingly different especially the midrange can sound paired with different amps. It's not subtle (mids nearly disappeared with a Mapletree, pushed foward with a MPX3, in between with the Zana Deux, etc.)

These were my impressions too, with the exception of the ZD which is the only one I have not heard from that gang. The differences are less than subtle..
Like an AT-AT walker wearing a Veterinanian's cone
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep - that seems spot on.

Audiofiler, myself, yellowfella seem to be the only ones vouching for the GS's. Well, except for MarkL who gave a great review of them. It's nice to get a positive sanity check since so many headfiers think they suck. They are part of my 3 keeper phones. The rest of my phones have been renderred irrelevant including the RS-1.

yup, null.
I have never owned a non electrostatic phone that compelled me to want to push all other phones out of the boat and off the premisis like the GS does..Irrelevant is correct. I reach for these more than any other phones..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back