GS-1000 And HD650 Conclusions!!
Feb 23, 2007 at 11:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
Well, after listening to both Cans, and swapping between EMP and M902 for a while now.

I concluded that I prefer:
1. GRADO GS-1000 from m902 (Rich, Fast, transient, Texture, Clean, focused, details, blackly and cleanly background, Amazing Timber)
2. My Sennheiser HD650 from Earmax Pro(Nice, blurry, warm, Lush, seducting!)

When I hook up Grado GS-1000 into EMP, It feels like I'm trying to convert my GS-1000 to be more like HD650. But I still prefer HD650 with EMP combo though MUCH BETTER SYNERGY!!

When I hook up HD650 into M902, it doesn't sound as good either, the warmth, midrange is missing, becomes boring.

Grado is always great in terms of details, texture, attack, energy, focus, exciting.(Masculine Side!)
Sennheiser is always great in terms of smoothness, emotions, Laid Back, musicality(Feminine Side!)

Let's face it:
Let man be a man!
Let Woman be a woman!
Don't try to TransGen-Your-Can-Around!

I sold my Beyers! so I don't know which category I should put the Beyers.
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 19
asexual!
wink.gif

you should try pairing Grados with a different tube amp, preferably one with a pretty high current. i thought tubes were just a nostalgia thing until i heard a real one. Grados will sound mushy with some amps, so that may be why you don't like the EMP combo'd with it. but they can be just as lush without sacrificing the awesome detail if you find the right match. i haven't heard GS-1000s before, so i might be wrong... but i've never heard a Grado that doesn't sing with a good tube amp.

edit: 500th post!

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 19
LOL

Grado a man - Sennheisser a woman.

Nice take on the two different cans
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:18 PM Post #4 of 19
well, i can't argue with your impressions...but i agree with the whole tube amp thing for the GS1000.

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado is always great in terms of details, texture, attack, energy, focus, exciting.(Masculine Side!)
Sennheiser is always great in terms of smoothness, emotions, Laid Back, musicality(Feminine Side!)

Maybe I'm confused on my genders, but I'd flip the assignments.
icon10.gif
For me, Senns are more masculine because they're Barry White smooth and bassy. Grados are more feminine for me because they're brighter and more energetic. I don't know what women you know, but most women I've known have been more on the energetic side
icon10.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #6 of 19
Well "can confusion" isn't uncommon here. For instance, some Senn folks think that the HD650 can rock! Yeah, if this is your idea of Rock-it, Man...
shatnerfront.jpg

But to be fair, Grados doing Classical, well...

pevc.jpg

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well "can confusion" isn't uncommon here. For instance, some Senn folks think that the HD650 can rock! Yeah, if this is your idea of Rock-it, Man...

But to be fair, Grados doing Classical, well...

You have to go there....don't you
very_evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif

OK, being a HD650 fan I have to say HD650s rock. Specifically, I can't think of anything but the HD650s for:

massive_attack_main.jpg

shins.jpg

my Grados, I like for:

1794f.jpg

AerosmithKravitz_250.jpg

So share the love! I even mix my genders for electronica!!!
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:42 PM Post #8 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Depends on how the metal/rock/industrial/... song is, some rock songs don't sound so great indeed but celldweller - frozen sounds wonderfull on the HD650, allthough the song is quite bassy
tongue.gif

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

It's Ying and Yang; It's Mars and Venus. One would have hard time to live without the other.
biggrin.gif

Regarding the synergy for GS1000, IMHO, there are more hybrid and SS amps to have better synergy than pure tube amps. GS1000 needs the current, but not too much warmth comparing to other grados.

gs1000.gif
(A grinning criket)

Feb 23, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 19
I think Jahn was being politically correct because the GS-1000 does classical like the best of them. It's those little Grado phones that can't do a Symphony.

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:13 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there are more hybrid and SS amps

gs1000.gif
(A grinning criket)

What is Hybrid Amps?
Any examples of great Hybrid Amps? I think I'm still not quite sure about this one.

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

What is Hybrid Amps?
Any examples of great Hybrid Amps? I think I'm still not quite sure about this one.

I'm no amp engineer. You can use the analogy of the mix of both SS and tube designs.

Melos is a well know brand for hybrid, with Grados. Robm321 can tell us more about his "Baby".

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:32 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm no amp engineer. You can use the analogy of the mix of both SS and tube designs.

Melos is a well know brand for hybrid, with Grados. Robm321 can tell us more about his "Baby".

Music Fidelity X-can amps are hybrids and the Melos and others - the Melos, what can I say... it is an amazing headphone amp to say the least. It can drive every headphone including the K-1000 - I have to bow down to Jahn and others, however, who have the "gold" version... there's always a bigger fish isn't there?
cool.gif

Feb 24, 2007 at 1:37 AM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davesrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, being a HD650 fan I have to say HD650s rock. Specifically, I can't think of anything but the HD650s for:

massive_attack_main.jpg

nuff said!!!
600smile.gif
600smile.gif
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back