GS-1 W/ DACT...
Sep 2, 2006 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

TomH

100+ Head-Fier
Was worth every penny and the short wait for construction.

Absolutely stunning as pre-amp in my 0/1 rig. I'm still trying to figure out and analyze in exactly what ways it so completely trounces my previous basic (Rotel RC-970BX) preamp but for now I'm too busy enjoying the sound with my mouth hanging open and a huge grin on my face. Never expected a preamp to make this much difference in an SS system but it does.

Voices and cymbals are just gorgeous and the rest is tight and clean, no bloat, and tons of impact without any harshness to be found. Totally silent background. The match with the Naim as source, RB-980BX as power amp and B&W CM2 (concept 90) speakers is excellent.

Later I'll try to get around to actually plugging in some headphones... but this is too much fun. It would be pleasantly ironic if a headamp got me back into more CD sourced loudspeaker listening by getting out of the way of the Naim and letting the RB-980BX do what it is so good at.

And, this thing is a work of true art and craftmanship. Housing, face plate, switches and knob, jacks, feet, all high quality, functional and attractive.

The packaging was the best I have seen in the industry - tight bubble wrap encasing the amp and sealed neatly with tape, then tons of foam peanuts, then sealed serialized inner box, then tons more peanuts, then outer box; power cord wrapped in plastic and placed outside of the inner box.

Very high value for money and the best I have heard from my SS system. Kudos and thanks to HeadAmp.

Sep 2, 2006 at 12:20 AM Post #2 of 7
And thanks to everyone at Head-Fi for all of the reviews, information and suggestions - would have been hard to find and decide on this purchase (and many others sadly for my wallet) without this excellent forum.

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 7
Welcome to the best quality in the biz, nobody gets the small things right quite like Justin.
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 7
******* I'm so close to selling my beloved Millett for the GS-1 it's not even funny now
frown.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
Listen before you leap, as that will be quite the change in sound signature (although with your 0404, it should really wake up the 650's, if that's what you want from them).

Well I've been using an external DAC over the past year, and have a D02A on order. I think the safe and smart move is to wait until that gets in before selling off any ger.

Sep 2, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 7
Had the chance to plug in the HD650s and K701s today. Wow, the 701s sound nice out of the GS-1. I think I'm discovering I like the Lambda Pro/701/HD600/B&W type of balance. The 650s are nice but that bass
basshead.gif
and there is not quite as much headstage as I like. Count me as one who feels the 650 smoothness with the 600 balance would be the cat's meow.

So far my favorite combos are GS-1>RB980BX>B&W or Lambda Pro, and GS-1>K701. I wasn't really fully appreciating the Naim until the GS-1 arrived, now I'm even more glad I did so much A/B between CD players on good loudspeaker systems at the local shop.

Back to the music!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back