GS-1 Synergy with Sennheiser HD650's?
Jun 29, 2005 at 6:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

akwok

Headphoneus Supremus
Anyone have any impressions of the Headamp GS-1 synergy with the Sennheiser HD650's? I'm thinking of purchasing the HD650's, and leaving it with the stock cables for now; would they sound alright with my current config?

Thanks

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
Anyone have any impressions of the Headamp GS-1 synergy with the Sennheiser HD650's?

It's good, I like it a lot more with them than I did the earlier stock versions of the Headamp gear. What do you think of the GS-1 so far?

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:11 AM Post #3 of 27
am i the only person who really likes this guy?

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:13 AM Post #4 of 27
The GS-1 is still burning in; I can't really make a valid A/B since I forgot the sound of my Gilmore Lite (it's been two weeks and I only listened to it for about 10 minutes!). Huge improvement from the Pocket Amp V2, but that's a given.

I was hoping that it would somewhat tame the brightness of the SA5000's, but it didn't really; although I like the brightness sometimes, it gets fatiguing.

I was under the impression that the HD650's sounded terrible with the GS-1, I think I read a post here by someone regarding this topic. If they do sound good though, I might just buy them on an impulse tomorrow (my dealer doesn't have stock until Thursday/Friday, and can't quote me an accurate price until then).

EDIT : Them aftermarket cables be extremely expensive! Worth it? The stocks can't be that bad.. can they? ~$600 USD on the HD650's with cables, eep.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #5 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dano1122
am i the only person who really likes this guy?

Ahh hello Dano! I see you have both the SA5000's and HD650's.. do they compliment each other well, or do you favor one over the other in listening sessions?

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

I was under the impression that the HD650's sounded terrible with the GS-1, I think I read a post here by someone regarding this topic. If they do sound good though, I might just buy them on an impulse tomorrow (my dealer doesn't have stock until Thursday/Friday, and can't quote me an accurate price until then).

EDIT : Them aftermarket cables be extremely expensive! Worth it? The stocks can't be that bad.. can they? ~$600 USD on the HD650's with cables, eep.

I think that might have been in reference to earlier version of the Gilmore's. I haven't listened to them a lot with the 650s but what I've heard has been quite good. That is assuming that you like the sound signature of the Senns. I would suggest that you wait to get the cables till after you've had a good chance to break in the Senns and are sure you like them. The upgrade cables will improve on the Senns sound but they're subtle, they won't make you love the Senns if you hate them stock though they might tip you from ambivalent to liking them.

Jun 29, 2005 at 6:27 AM Post #7 of 27
Alright. I am still considering the HD650's, and .. hmm. It's the last thing on my list of upgraditis items, so I don't know yet. It's a pretty hefty investment; the GS-1 I -needed- and wouldn't be a waste, because I could use it with other headphones / future headphones. Ditto with my DAC. But another pair of headphones.. I dunno.

Now the begging question is.. DAC1 w/ SA5000 or CI VDA-1 w/ SA5000 AND HD650.

Jun 29, 2005 at 7:31 AM Post #8 of 27
I have a GS-1 and I have tried it with the HD650. However, my comparison is probably biased by the fact that I am so used to hear them together with a MPX3. The GS-1 and 650 are a good fit, but the MPX3 more so, but it is only just in the bass region you find any differences worth mentioning: I listen mostly to orchestral classical music and the decay of bass notes in large spaces is then of importance to me. The MPX3 just manages that a bit better, holding on to the reverb for just that little appreciated extra long time and with more ease and air. But really, in absolute terms, the GS-1 has a very good extended and controlled bass. However, during the burn-in period, the GS-1 struggled in that department with the 650s, but I seem to be the only GS-1 owner here to have reported that. Most of the reports have talked about an exaggerated bass during that period.

As to aftermarket cables. Well, I have only tried the Cardas, and it is supposed to have a quite gentle influence on the phones - but I have mixed impressions. If you ask me, the stock cable appears to have a very good synergy with the 650. It is also important to keep the nature of the 650 in mind. The metaphor "sitting in the middle of the concert hall", in stead of the front row, is a good one IMO. The sound seems to get a lot of freedom to develop, and spacious details the possibility to find their way to you in a “natural” manner, not forced. An aftermarket cable will most probably alter the balance of the cans. For good or worse, that’s up to you to judge. I’m with gpalmer here: Try them with the stock cable and see to it that they get a proper burn-in first.

Jun 29, 2005 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Alright. I am still considering the HD650's, and .. hmm. It's the last thing on my list of upgraditis items, so I don't know yet. It's a pretty hefty investment; the GS-1 I -needed- and wouldn't be a waste, because I could use it with other headphones / future headphones. Ditto with my DAC. But another pair of headphones.. I dunno.

Now the begging question is.. DAC1 w/ SA5000 or CI VDA-1 w/ SA5000 AND HD650.

The GS-1 is very synergistic with the sennheiser headhones in my system. However, I actually like the hd600 slightly better than the hd650. The 650 has a little to much bass for my taste and doesnt sound as open as the hd600. I would consider the hd600 if you want to save some cash. The refurb hd600's from Amazon are a very good deal.
600smile.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:38 AM Post #10 of 27
Too late.. won a pair of HD650's on eBay today, just have to pay (waiting for quote on shipping) and then they're MINE!

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:46 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Too late.. won a pair of HD650's on eBay today, just have to pay (waiting for quote on shipping) and then they're MINE!

Congrats big guy! From your posts you wouldn't have been happy without it so all you have to do now is sit back and enjoy when they get in...
tongue.gif

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:48 AM Post #12 of 27
We'll see.. hopefully there's nothing else to upgrade, because I'm very happy with my setup right now; maybe an aftermarket cable for the HD650's.

Perhaps I might like the HD650's so much that I sell the SA5000's and purchase bloodwood woodies + matching stand, and a nice Mobius.. :p.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:50 AM Post #13 of 27
Man akwok, you're addin a new piece of big-baller equipment to your rig every week!

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:53 AM Post #14 of 27
Hopefully not anymore after this.. because I have literally no money left.

Jun 30, 2005 at 4:55 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Hopefully not anymore after this.. because I have literally no money left.

Stop eating!
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back