GS-1, PPX3, or RS-1's
Dec 13, 2007 at 12:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Paxonator

Head-Fier
Ok I've decided that there's still something missing from my music at times. There are days where I turn the volume a little higher than other and would love to have just a little more kick as well as more intimate vocals. So I’ve got it down to these three choices basically. I can try a new amp that will drive my 650's better or try the rs-1's.

I don’t' have the chance to audition these amps nor have I every listened to a tube amp. I'm going strictly off reading opinions in threads for my choices. So as you can see I have a modded 0404 as my source and a PIMETA amp right now. My music is about half FLAC and MP3's. Now I've always loved the looks of the singlepower amps and from what I’ve read it might suite my needs. And for SS the GS-1 seems like a good fit. And not having heard anything better than a PIMETA I have no idea of what kind of sound quality I will gain which leads me to buying the rs-1's for those days.

So any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I will wait and buy any of the 3 items used when they come up for sale. From what I see they are all around the same price. Thank you for your time.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 8
the RS-1 will give you the kick and a more intimate sound, but there will be a much different timbre to the midrange. You could try the D5000, it's more intimate but also very close to the same tonality of the HD650's midrange.

the GS-1 and PPX3 would be good, but i don't think they give the HD650 that extra push.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #3 of 8
I have the GS-1 and the RS-2. The GS-1 and the RS-2 seems perfect match for each other. The RS-2 has an aggressive yet controlled sound coming from the GS-1. This combo was very popular in the UK meet. If you like electric guitar, then I think going for the GS-1 is the right way to go.

However, on the opposite side of the coin, my RS-2 has a gentle, smooth side that was bought out by the Single Power Extreme. The RS is a great jazz can for intimate performances, and the RS-2 + tube really bring out that aspect of the RS-2.

Ultimately, I don't think you can go wrong either way. The sonic differences between those two excellent amps are subtle and I am sure you will like either. Be warned that having good amplification may bring out flaws in the records or source that previously went un-noticed.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #4 of 8
You know what, I just realised I totally mis-read your question. To the answer of your original question, I don't think you should buy the GS-1 for the HD650. The GS-1 do a good job with the HD650, but there are better amps for the HD650 at that price range.

The Graham Slee Solo Green was agreed to be the better choice in the UK head-fi meet. You should also consider buying the Oritek Modded Zhaolu with his new headphone stage which I consider much better than both the Solo Green and the GS-1.

I am leaving my original reply stand since I think it's valuable for potential forum members.

Dec 13, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #5 of 8
I was thinking the same thing about not giving them the push the need. I think it would have to have a texture knob or something on it like the ppx3 slam does. So I'm kind of leaning towards the rs-1's, I am able to get them new for $750 CAD. But I think i'll still go used incase they are not what I expected. I remember there being someone from Saskatoon (about 3 hours away) with the GS-1 I believe, but i can't remember his name.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:05 AM Post #6 of 8
I would definitely get the RS-1 used. In addition to the cheaper price, the old style RS-1 retains the button which imo looks much better than the new buttonless RS-1.

However, to give you an additional data point, the HD650 can sound downright aggressive when paired with the right amp. One of GS-1's downfall imo is that it makes the HD650 sound too bright and aggressive to my ears. However, when paired with the right music, that setup can sound excellent.

Dec 13, 2007 at 10:54 AM Post #7 of 8
Well I snagged a pair of RS-1's that came up for sale. So we'll see if these are what I've been looking for. If not I'll have to continue my search.

Dec 13, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 8
bright and aggressive? Sounds like complete opposite of the 650. I dont The 650 never gets objectively bright (only relatively) since it is considered quite dark and slow...Certainly never fatiguing. Adding a little bit of brightness and energy should make it more 'neutral' while retaining the familiar smoothness.

the graham slee solo is considered highly transparent from what i have been reading. THAT is an expensive piece of equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back