GS-1 or GRAHAM SLEE SOLO?
Mar 16, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 14
Hard to say, as I haven't heard the Rotel, or even read about it much. Where do you live? Someone in your area might own one, you can find out by checking the Meets forum. Also keep in mind that HeadAmp has a 14-day return policy, so you could theoretically buy the GS-1 and return it if you don't like it.

The GS-1 is very transparent, it'll effectively pass through the sound coming from the Rotel.

Mar 23, 2008 at 2:04 PM Post #8 of 14
The solo leans towards wamth? You mean SS warmth? I've always been told it's the exact opposite. I love it for it's realism. I do have the green solo, but I wouldn't describe it as even slightly warm. I do use Hd600s though.

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The solo leans towards wamth? You mean SS warmth? I've always been told it's the exact opposite. I love it for it's realism. I do have the green solo, but I wouldn't describe it as even slightly warm. I do use Hd600s though.

What's the "green" solo? I've seen this referenced before, but see nothing about it on their web site. And yeah, some SS is definitely warmer than other. And some tube amps are pretty neutral.

Tim

Mar 23, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarkovsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree. The Solo is a detailed, lean and cold sounding amp to me. I prefer the GS-1 .... and I have always thought the GS-1 did an excellent job paired up with the 701.

Mar 23, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the "green" solo? I've seen this referenced before, but see nothing about it on their web site. And yeah, some SS is definitely warmer than other. And some tube amps are pretty neutral.

Tim

Hi Tim

The "Green" Solo is designed to sound great with a switch-mode wall wart (the green/ecologically friendly power supply).

It really does sound good!

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 14
Welcome Braddo. As you can see, consensus in the world of sound is sometimes hard to find. I agree with an earlier poster that going to a meet is the best way to determine your own preferences. And bring your 'phones.

Mar 23, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Tim

The "Green" Solo is designed to sound great with a switch-mode wall wart (the green/ecologically friendly power supply).

It really does sound good!

Thanks Josh. Does the regular Solo have an internal power supply or a larger, dedicated external one?

Tim

Mar 23, 2008 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by tfarney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Josh. Does the regular Solo have an internal power supply or a larger, dedicated external one?

Tim

The regular Solo can be bought w/ an inexpensive PSU or a much more expensive PSU. According to Graham Slee the Green Solo with its switching wall wart performs at the same level as the regular Solo w/ the expensive PSU.

I have only listened to the Green Solo and it is a very nice amp, specially at the introductury price of $490 plus S&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back