grrr is it just me?
Jun 7, 2004 at 4:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

MikoLayer

1000+ Head-Fier
as much as i LOVE the sound from my AV-710, there is a strange glitch with Asio4all. whenver something else gets played on top of mp3s, the mp3 stops playing if you know what i mean. this gets quite annoying when i try to browse on the web listening to music as some of sites have built-in sound effects suck as clicking soudns
mad.gif
Is this supposed to be a well-established trade-off when using ASIO? or is there a way around it?

my machine is a athlon mobile 2400 @ 2.12, 480mb ram (IGP takes up 32mb) and ASIO4all buffer size is set @ 1200 samples with 4 KS buffers. Thanks in adavance!
600smile.gif

Jun 7, 2004 at 4:14 AM Post #2 of 10
That's because foobar is locking your samplerate, and windows changes it. To fix it, go to your control panel, and disable all of the system sounds and junk. viola!

-Z

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:40 AM Post #3 of 10
i have my winXP tweaked to the max, that includes disabling the sound scheme as well. the problem is tho some websites and forums have 'click' noises when you press a button and whatnot...

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 10
Select something else than the Chaintech as you primary sound playback device in the control panel.

This way you loose all system/IE sounds, but should still be able to select your sound card in Winamp, Foobar and most games.

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by halcyon
Select something else than the Chaintech as you primary sound playback device in the control panel.

This way you loose all system/IE sounds, but should still be able to select your sound card in Winamp, Foobar and most games.

yeah, i thought of that too but i cant spare neitheranother irq nor physical pci slot for a secondary sound card (antec aria SFF case user here...)

well i ended up figuring out what was causing the problem. it wasnt the websites, it was the google toolbar making ticking noises when it blocks a pop-up. strange, i been thinking cuz i already had 'play sounds in web pages' in IE advanced properties disabled. now i can do stuff on the internet while enjoying the music
biggrin.gif

my question still stands tho, is it just the way ASIO is? didnt have this problem with waveout...

Jun 7, 2004 at 5:52 PM Post #7 of 10
It depends on how the card works.

One some cards, there is no general mixer so you can only have 1 type of sound API at once. ASIO and no directsound/waveout. I know on my RME, if I was listening to ASIO out and a windows sound were to come on, I would get this crazy noise.

On other cards with a complex mixer like the emu, you can have multiple sounds from difference sources at once.

Jun 8, 2004 at 5:20 AM Post #8 of 10
You can try this:

Applications may still try to play sounds through your "pro" soundcard, so it is recommended that you disable this.

Go to Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Hardware Tab > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties > Audio Devices > (highlight your soundcard from the list) > Properties, and check the "Do not map through this device" checkbox.

http://www.musicxp.net/tuning_tips.htm #10

Jun 8, 2004 at 4:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

i have my winXP tweaked to the max, that includes disabling the sound scheme as well. the problem is tho some websites and forums have 'click' noises when you press a button and whatnot...

Simple: switch to Mozilla or another non-crappy browser.

Quote:

yeah, i thought of that too but i cant spare neitheranother irq nor physical pci slot for a secondary sound card (antec aria SFF case user here...)

You must have an onboard soundcard. Just enable it and set it as the primary.

Jun 8, 2004 at 8:45 PM Post #10 of 10
thx for suggestions, but i am already with the newest version of Firefox. some of sites refused to work well, which forces me to use IE in tandem (and it was those very sites that i used to have trouble with)

i do have an onboard sound card, but things get kinda iffy with IRQ as i have dual video cards + tv tuner and using standard pc (ACPI irq sharing = yuck)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back