Grover SR MK IIs
Sep 13, 2004 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Gopher

Member of the Trade: LampizatOr Audio
As some of you may be aware, cablemaker/audio gear manufacturer Grover has been at work perfecting his Silver Reference cables. Through a stroke of luck (and generosity on Grovers part) I've had the priveldge of spending the last week and a half with these interconnects and have thus far been extreemly pleased. They had been burning in 24 hours a day for 5 days on my Meridian before I shipped it off to the new owner, and I am pretty confident they are now optimal and these are some of my impressions so far:

These cables are a definete step up from the SRs. While frequency extension was already great both ways with the origional silver references, I feel it has been improved on both extreemes with Grovers new creation, as these cables seem to provide an airier top as well as a deeper, more solid bottom.

The solidity these cables dispay is not, however, limited to viscreal bass. It seems from top to bottom there is a greater density/richness to the music passing through them.

If I had to compare them with something I'm familiar with, it would be the Bogdan BSSRs. I know Grover has been working to best those highly acclaimed cables and I feel that the MK IIs at very minimum equal them, as they seem to share more then a few common traits. I know hearing the Bogdans for the first time I was impressed, for instance, by the bass information I was previously missing out on, and the Grovers are right there retrieving the commonly overlooked detail, in fact. I feel the cables sound pretty similar but with the Grovers having a denser (which is more pleasing in my system) presentation.

Overall the SR IIs are excellent cables, and IMO are THE cable to buy. His SR Is already killed the much more expensive Acoustic Zen cabling I had in my system (Matrix References and Hologram Bi-Wires) and the SR IIs are even better!

I truly believe the value these cables represent is unbeatable--so much so that I use his cables almost exclusively in my system (Grover SR II on CDP, Grover SR phono on VPI Scout, and SR speaker cable)... Run, don't walk for this deal!

Sep 13, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 53
Gopher, thanks for your impressions (my wallet may not thank you)

What about price for Grover SR II interconnects? Same as SR I or ?

Any possiblity of pictures? If not description of physical appearance, materials.
cool.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkAngel
Gopher, thanks for your impressions (my wallet may not thank you)

What about price for Grover SR II interconnects? Same as SR I or ?

Any possiblity of pictures? If not description of physical appearance, materials.
cool.gif

DA,

I'm not sure if Grover has decieded on a new price yet, so I don't want to say anything there, but the physical appearance is very similar. The only distingushing marks between the SR and SR II are the feel of the cables (SR IIs have the stickier feel of the speaker cables) and there is a period after the "SR" on rca conector.

Ohh, and the connectors seem to fit a little more snugly

Sep 13, 2004 at 7:55 PM Post #4 of 53
Gopher said:
Quote:

... Ohh, and the connectors seem to fit a little more snugly ...

A little more snuggly
blink.gif
... I thought my original SR's were snug enough!
biggrin.gif

Wonder if there is an upgrade path like he offered previously???

Thx for taking the time to report on this upgrade and any further comments on performance would be appreciated ... Gord SW Ont.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 53
Gord SW Ont said:
Gopher said:

A little more snuggly
blink.gif
... I thought my original SR's were snug enough!
biggrin.gif

QUOTE]

Yeah they actually took off some of the gold plating on my amp when I removed them lol.

Biggie.

Sep 13, 2004 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 53
hmm perhaps mine simply loosened up over time and these new ones were hard to get on in comparission... in fact, I'm willing to bet thats it.

Disregard the 'snug' comment

Sep 15, 2004 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 53
I keep hearing more and more good things about Grover's IC's, at some point I'm going to have to get my hands on a pair to compare to the Nitrogen's.

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:43 PM Post #9 of 53
I just talked to Grover and his pricing will be as follows:

I have decided to upgrade the older SR to the new standard for $25 plus shipping. The price of the new SR is the same as the older SR. $110-.5 meter, $125-1 meter, $150-2 meter.

Sep 15, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by warubozu
Where can one get their hands on a set of Grover SR II, do you have a link to a website?

Grover has no website, send him e-mail and tell him what you need he will respond with info to complete sale:

groverhuffman@hotmail.com

I will get pair of my old SR I upgraded to SR II, and purchase another 1 meter SR II pair. I like the upgrade feature and the price.
biggrin.gif

Here is photo of older SR I interconnects, very light and flexible:
Photo SR I

Sep 15, 2004 at 9:42 PM Post #12 of 53
FYI picture DA's snap shot with a period after the SR and you have the new ones.

Sep 16, 2004 at 11:16 AM Post #13 of 53
Damn DA it looks like you've got some serious crap from the looks of your photo album. How many sets of speakers do you have?
tongue.gif

From what I remember the Grover speaker cables do not come with any connectors. Is that correct? Can they be added as an option? What's the pricing on the speaker cables?

DA are you currently using the Grover speaker cables? Any performance comments?

Thanks,

Rob

Sep 16, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #14 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROB968323
Damn DA it looks like you've got some serious crap from the looks of your photo album. How many sets of speakers do you have?
tongue.gif

From what I remember the Grover speaker cables do not come with any connectors. Is that correct? Can they be added as an option? What's the pricing on the speaker cables?

DA are you currently using the Grover speaker cables? Any performance comments?

Of course I still have the Grover SR speaker cables, sound amazing for the price. Grover will strongly recommend no terminations which he believes degrades speaker cable sound. I originally told him I "must" have spade connectors, but he said just try bare wire first (he was right).
Grover just puts silver wire through center hole of 5 way speaker binding post.....I like to bend small "J" hook to mount around binding post. Price back then was @$200 for 8ft pair, not sure what current price is.

This is all discussed in much detail towards the end of original Grover thread posted by Pigmode here:
Grover

Speakers.........yes I have several pairs
tongue.gif

Last couple years I have had great success using monitors and single quality sub woofer for 2 channel. My reference speakers are Tyler Taylo Monitors (modified with 6 ohm tweeter resistor) but also have:

GMA Europa
Von Schweikert VR1
PSB Stratus Mini

Sep 17, 2004 at 1:52 PM Post #15 of 53
DA

Does that bare wire on the end of the speaker cable hold up well? It seems to me like it's real easy to destroy that bare wire...then you're kind of screwed.
icon10.gif

Just so that others know...the speaker cable is $24 per stereo foot.

Has anyone tried Grover's digital cable? Is this the same cable as his ICs?

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back