Group test winners ...
Jun 15, 2012 at 9:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

estreeter

Headphoneus Supremus
OK, if we can put our normal skepticism about the mags aside, I'd actually like to hear this recommended combination from our friends at Hi-Fi Choice, even if the sum total is probably above my budget:

Source:      Roksan Radius 5.2 and Nima Tonearm / Rega Saturn CDP
Amp :         Naim Nait XS
Speakers:  Argon Amphion 1 Standmount

For those who like a bit more bite in the treble (no thanks ...ymmv), the Totem Rainmaker was a close second - the also-rans were the Dynaudio Excite X16, Spendor SP3/1R, Dali Mentor 1 and Quadral Aurum Megan VIII. Having previously owned the Dali Mentors, I agree with their criticisms, but the rest is anyone's guess. Just wanted to document this before brain fade kicks in. The Rega Apollo is a legendary CDP - dont know much about the Saturn - and I've long wanted to hear the Nait. Back to your normal programming.   
biggrin.gif

The link to the group test can be found on the Amphion website for those who have come this far - I salute your perserverence !   

Jun 16, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 5
I had a naim system for a decade and heard the xs. Very dynamic, tonal balance is good and timing(prat) is great but not good with sound staging. Not sure about the new xs but naim system are supposed to be left powered up at all time for optimal sq.

Jun 16, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 5
I've read that about Naim gear - they also work hard to promote  all-Naim systems. I guess thats just good business. 

Jun 16, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 5
I had a Naim system with a Linn LP12 TT many years ago.

Good souding gear but seriously overpriced. I actually think Cyrus gives many of the Naim attributes but without the Naim weaknesses.

Jun 16, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #5 of 5
I've read that about Naim gear - they also work hard to promote  all-Naim systems. I guess thats just good business. 

They used to come only with din input/output, and even the speaker cable choice is restricted to naca5. Only non-Naim components commonly used then was Epos es14 speakers which was voiced for Naim and Chord cables.

Good thing is I don't waste as much time mucking around with hardware combinations and just listen to the music. Most regular non-audiophile source sounds good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back