Group Buy on cheap hopsital grade (green dot) Quail power cords.
Feb 22, 2004 at 2:28 PM Post #31 of 220
These things look mighty cool! I'll let you know when I get a box load of cables. All of you. Then, it will be both our responsibilities to contact each other (you and me) and we'll exchange shipping addresses as well as shipping costs. So, expect some deliveries by May 2004?
confused.gif

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:40 PM Post #33 of 220
I am interested. But I need to figure out how many I need. When do you need to know by?

Feb 22, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #34 of 220
Quote:

Originally posted by Demolition
I recall reading a well-written post describing this effect at Audio Asylum. Can't find it now but, as I remember it, the theory goes that power cords with ferrites constrict the current bandwidth leading to your system. This is most noticeable with amps as their capacitors go through their drain/recharge cycles. If you get a particularly powerful transient (loud musical passage perhaps?) during one of these cycles, the amp will try to draw extra power. However, because a ferrite increases the inductance of any cable that it's looped around, it could cause a delay in the capacitors recharging. The resulting voltage sag causes the sound to either distort or sound dull or lifeless down the line (i.e. in your headphones or speakers). That dullness is what people mean when they say "constricted dynamics".

Of course, I've never noticed this because I don't have the so-called "golden ears" that some people do. My ears aren't sensitive enough to detect a momentary dynamic drop such as that.

As for ferrite use on computer power cords... the added EMI/RFI rejection will be a benefit.

-- I've found the Audio Asylum thread that I mentioned earlier. It will explain better what I was trying to get at.

Thanks, tortie. I'm in for three (3). I have some non-audio equipment that would benefit from the extra EMI/RFI protection.

D.

Edit: added the Audio Asylum link.

I think that if you power supply is properly designed, you will have the power you may need for any transient in the music spectrum, and if the caps are big enough will supply that power in the right moment, I had used ferrite all my life and with or without, I hear no difference, remember also that a good power cord is that last tweak to make on a system, most of the times if the system is not extremely efficient you will not notice anything even from an ultramegabuck cable....

Count me with two please....(2)......maybe later on I could pick up more if someone withdraw, but for now I do not have use for more...

BTW tortie I lost the copy of the Stereophile magazines, you sent me, after a format c: do you still have them, how about the new ones

Feb 22, 2004 at 4:35 PM Post #35 of 220
Quote:

Originally posted by Ph34rful
I am interested. But I need to figure out how many I need. When do you need to know by?

Just let me know within the week or before we reach the order limit of 100 pcs. I would like to do these in batches of 100 pcs. so that I wont have a hard time with money & information collection.
biggrin.gif

Sov,

PM me your email address again so I can send you the old stereophile copies. I will post when the new edition arrives.

Feb 22, 2004 at 5:43 PM Post #38 of 220
Quote:

Originally posted by soundboy
I am ignorant....so this power cord will plug into the back on components with that has a detachable IEC PC outlets? Is this PC OK for an integrated amp?

I would also like to know this? wondering if I can use it with my nec cdr...

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:10 PM Post #39 of 220
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
I think that if you power supply is properly designed, you will have the power you may need for any transient in the music spectrum, and if the caps are big enough will supply that power in the right moment, I had used ferrite all my life and with or without, I hear no difference, remember also that a good power cord is that last tweak to make on a system, most of the times if the system is not extremely efficient you will not notice anything even from an ultramegabuck cable....

It seems you don't really hear much differences between power cords and interconnects. I have the exact polar opposite view in my experience in making cables.

I don't like ferrite beads at all. They restrict the sound.

As for a good power cord being the last tweak, you can say electricity IS the source so to me it should be one of the first tweaks.

--Lan

Feb 22, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #43 of 220
We need a name for the PCs, and in honor of our former leader, I proposed called them the "Tortie-Quails".......
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back