Grounding loop ugh the bane of my existance
Mar 31, 2008 at 8:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

r3cc0s

500+ Head-Fier
Howdy
So I picked up a Jolida JD100A, semi modded with new tubes and dampening and upgraded RCA

Being as thrilled as I was, I also picked up some new IC's and a nice silver DIY power cable which as this device is.. a 3 pronged cable

Attached it to my HPA-1 headphone amp and as it has 2 RCA's also attached it to my Conrad Johnson CAV-50's which power up my Totem Hawks

Now what do I get? Noise hum hum and it has created static to the point where my Jolida doesn't track properly when connected

I had narrowed it down to being the ground as both my HPA-1 & my Conrad also use the 3 pronged power cables

What I did, was grabbed a computer power supply cable and removed the "ground" prong
Instantly my problem was SOLVED!! W00T! right?
Yes, but what about my new power cable?

I could just remove the ground and put a piece of tape over the hole to prevent arching... but man those ends costed me like $40 bucks a piece

I can't even find a cheater plug around here, where I live as they are now considered dangerous and don't apparently fit certain electral guidelines

Oh well, in the interm as I do work IT, I found a Server power cord which can accomodate 20 AMPs of power... it's a fat person, but I'm willing to rip the ground off of this freebie before I do that to my other cord

Power conditioning apparently isn't the problem in this case, as I do have one and it is a even grounding according to the sine waves

What have you guys done?

My HPA-1 apparently though 3-prong'd as well has a transformer which is accomodating to the Jolida

Thanks!

Mar 31, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 6
Connect a wire to ground (the center screw on the power socket faceplate in the wall) and touch it to the chassis of your various components. You should be able to ground just one or another of them and solve the problem. Just attach the ground wire to a screw on the chassis of the offending unit.

See ya
Steve

Mar 31, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Hrm...
So in the case of the CAV, I'll go and find a speaker cable and attach one end to the "ground knurl" and the other end to the face plate

can't wait till I get home to try, and hoping I won't have to destroy my sweet sweet "looking" power cables

Apr 1, 2008 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 6
After switching the power station with a server cable, it appears the grounding issue magically went away, still using 3 prong'd cables for both the Jolida & Conrad Johnson AMP

As these cables are 14guage... then I decided to look up what they were... and they end up to be 14 guage 20 AMP Volex cables

Well anyways, the power station cable was the stock cable for the HPA-1 headphone amp, and I noticed after removing it from the setup, the hum went away... so likely a bad "stocker" power cable from the head amp which is now running off a good Volex one

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by r3cc0s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well anyways, the power station cable was the stock cable for the HPA-1 headphone amp, and I noticed after removing it from the setup, the hum went away... so likely a bad "stocker" power cable from the head amp which is now running off a good Volex one

Thanks for the update... I've been meaning to buy some shielded Volex 17604 cables to test, and now it's even more tempting.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back