Ground Post?
Jan 2, 2007 at 4:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bhjazz

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm looking for a ground post similar to what one would find on a phono preamp. It needs to have, at the very least, a locknut/nut on the back end so it stays in. I have only found one available at PartsConnexion, but would consider some less costly alternatives if they exist!

Many Thanks!

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 11
What are you mounting this to? And how cheap does it have to be? Use your imagination here....goto the hardware store and goto the nuts and bolts section....you can definitly find something that will work.

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:48 AM Post #3 of 11
I've definitely done that! No, this will be a replacement for a ProJect Phono Box that I plan to sell later this year so it should look pretty close to stock. I am pretty amazed that it appears to be quite the special item.

Here's a link to the original Phono Box. The original post did not even have a nut on the back, it just sits in the stamped hole and provides a dicey connection to the ground plane. Neato! (Oh, by the way, after it fell out, it got lost as well. Good riddance!!!)

Jan 2, 2007 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 11
Of course it is special! Only phone stages even require a grounding post and since record players arent that popular outside the audiophile circle....

phonobox.jpg

Is this the one you have or the newer MkII?

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Ha. Yeah, that's the one. I've also looked at binding posts as well, and I'm getting closer. Still, those usually have plastic caps so I'm almost there...

Jan 2, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #6 of 11
So did you just lose the part that screws into that hole? Or is it broken off? I need to know the thread size you have there. Basicly just make a new one! Get some aluminum stock from the hardware store. Have them cut it about an inch in length, than thread the end to fit in that hole. You have a metal lathe right?

No im kidding...! Seriously...measure the thread size...than goto the harware store and you will find all sorts of neat stuff that will be the correct thread size that can screw into that hole! Seriously...im not joking...

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #7 of 11
dual post. My 'net connection is teh poo tonight...!

Jan 2, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've definitely done that!

I just want a matching part with a lock nut on the back side.

Jan 2, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 11
Of course not! The reason the stock part fell out was because it just drops into a hole in the metal. As I said earier: I want a similar ground post that has a nut and locknut on the back.

I'll keep looking, then. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back