Ground loop issue suggestions with PC?
Jun 3, 2018 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ericx85

100+ Head-Fier
---EDIT-- Found the problem!
The hum was apparently coming from having my TV's sound bar connected to the DAC via a RCA to 3.5mm converter. Once I disconnected that from the DAC, the humming in the speakers and headphone amp vanished. Mods can delete this post if they'd like. I feel a little silly for not thinking of this sooner.

Wondering if anyone has an idea to solve my ground loop issue. The loop is present on the speakers as well as the headphone amp.

Heres the setup:

6 components plugged into a single power strip
PC
DAC - Yggdrasil
Headphone Amp - Lyr 2 (upgrading soon)
Monitor
2 bookshelf speakers - KRK Rokit 6

DAC is getting audio through an optical spdif through the sound card in the pc. Putting 3 to 2 prong adapters on the speakers/headphone amp kills the hum completely(I understand that using these is not ideal which is why I'd like to solve this)

The speakers are connected to the DAC atm through XLRs (Mogami golds). However, when I try to use the speakers without the 3 to 2 adapters and unplug the XLR from the speaker, the hum goes away. There still is however a very quiet hiss in the speaker, not a hum when I do this(this is probably normal). This also happens when I unplug the RCA connectors from the headphone amp. Hum goes away.

I've plugged the speakers by themselves into different outlets, XLR still connected. Hum exists still.

Removed optical link from DAC, still had the hum. I've tried powering the DAC off, the hum still persists in the speakers and headphone amp with the DAC off.

My only last clue is I have dirty power in my house. Would a hum x help? Does it effect sound quality?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back