Ground loop hum with iPod
Dec 21, 2005 at 12:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mackenzo

New Head-Fier
I am using the audio output from the dock port of my iPod Photo as an input to a portable amp (Ray Samuels Hornet), and then to my headphones. In this configuration, I get a severe ground loop hum when I touch the metal part of the iPod. I have four iPods, but it only happens with the Photo, which is the one I use. Any ideas on how to get this fixed?

Thanks,
Ken

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 13
Is the line out clean through other docks?

See ya
Steve

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
Is the line out clean through other docks?

See ya
Steve

No, it makes the same hum when I use a Sik Ram dock.

Dec 21, 2005 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 13
With my HeadRoom Home and either an iPod Nano or Video I also get a hum that won't go away. I even lifted the ground on the amp, but it's still there. If I hear anything from Apple, or on the net, I'll let you know.

Dec 21, 2005 at 2:13 AM Post #5 of 13
I posted on the Apple Discussion board. I, too, will let you know if I get an answer.

Ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by ServinginEcuador
With my HeadRoom Home and either an iPod Nano or Video I also get a hum that won't go away. I even lifted the ground on the amp, but it's still there. If I hear anything from Apple, or on the net, I'll let you know.

Dec 21, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mackenzo
No, it makes the same hum when I use a Sik Ram dock.

There is probably something wrong with the dock port on your iPod. You need to take it in for servicing. It probably isn't a grounding problem. It's a short in the connector inside the iPod.

See ya
Steve

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Any idea how much an Apple repair for this might cost. I am out of warranty, and wonder if it is cheaper to just buy a new one.

Thanks,
Ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
There is probably something wrong with the dock port on your iPod. You need to take it in for servicing. It probably isn't a grounding problem. It's a short in the connector inside the iPod.

See ya
Steve

Dec 21, 2005 at 8:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Do you have your Dock plugged into either AC or your computer? If both your iPod and Hornet are running on batteries, then there is no possibility of a ground loop -- there is no ground! Thus the hum is due to a electrical problem in your ipod's dock port, as Bigshot suggests.

However, if you have been using it this way with the Dock plugged into either your computer, and/or your Hornet plugged into AC, try rinning the whole thing on batteries and see if it's clean.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:30 PM Post #9 of 13
It happens when the Hornet is plugged into the AC only. It can be made better or worse by fiddling with the dock connector (either Turbo's or Sik).

Thanks,
Ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
Do you have your Dock plugged into either AC or your computer? If both your iPod and Hornet are running on batteries, then there is no possibility of a ground loop -- there is no ground! Thus the hum is due to a electrical problem in your ipod's dock port, as Bigshot suggests.

However, if you have been using it this way with the Dock plugged into either your computer, and/or your Hornet plugged into AC, try rinning the whole thing on batteries and see if it's clean.

Dec 21, 2005 at 11:55 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

It happens when the Hornet is plugged into the AC only. It can be made better or worse by fiddling with the dock connector (either Turbo's or Sik).

Thanks,
Ken

So if you run them both on batteries (NO AC connection at all), there is no hum, regardless of fiddling with the dock connector?

Dec 22, 2005 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 13
Yes, the hum is only when plugged in. After some rough playing around with the dock, I seem to have gotten rid of the hum. What does that mean?

Ken

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
So if you run them both on batteries (NO AC connection at all), there is no hum, regardless of fiddling with the dock connector?

Dec 22, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Yes, the hum is only when plugged in. After some rough playing around with the dock, I seem to have gotten rid of the hum. What does that mean?

Ken

Bad connector / loose ground /dirty contacts ?

Dec 22, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Ken

Well, to me, that would indicate that the Hornet's AC power supply is generating the hum. I would say that with total confidence exept that you say that if you fiddle with the dock connector the hum goes away. That would indicate that the only problem is with a bad dock connector on your iPod. But in that case, you would still have the problem when running all on batteries, which you do not.

Seemd to me that the Hornet's AC supply does not like something about the dock connctor.

If you connect the iPod to the Hornet via the iPod's HEADPHONE out, with the Hornet running on AC, does it hum then?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back