Groove Glide
Jul 15, 2005 at 9:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Remedial

100+ Head-Fier
Have any of you guys ever used this stuff?

How does it stack up against the other stuff out there (other than VPI's and Nitty Gritty's)?

I do plan on investing in a Nitty Gritty as soon as the cash flow surges, but I just needed something to suffice for now.

Is this product a good idea?

Jul 16, 2005 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 8
This doesn't answer your question... but I've found that a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water is great for cleaning filthy thrift store records. 78 collectors use white vinegar to clean 78s, but it works good on vinyl too. Rinse with distilled water afterwards.

See ya
Steve

P.S. Your fingers smell like pickles though...

Jul 16, 2005 at 4:58 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
This doesn't answer your question... but I've found that a 50-50 solution of white vinegar and distilled water is great for cleaning filthy thrift store records. 78 collectors use white vinegar to clean 78s, but it works good on vinyl too. Rinse with distilled water afterwards.

See ya
Steve

P.S. Your fingers smell like pickles though...

Interesting combination. Might experiment one day. Don't know how good it might be for the records in the long run, though.

Anyone ever actually used Groove Glide, though?

Jul 16, 2005 at 7:40 PM Post #4 of 8
I only use distilled water, photoflo and white vinegar. They seem to do everything I need... But I go very easy on the photoflo. Most stuff packaged as being for records is too expensive for me. (I have a LOT of records to clean.)

The advantage of white vinegar is that it is distilled, and it rinses off completely with distilled water. This means that nothing is being left behind on the records.

See ya
Steve

Jul 16, 2005 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot
I only use distilled water, photoflo and white vinegar. They seem to do everything I need... But I go very easy on the photoflo. Most stuff packaged as being for records is too expensive for me. (I have a LOT of records to clean.)

The advantage of white vinegar is that it is distilled, and it rinses off completely with distilled water. This means that nothing is being left behind on the records.

See ya
Steve

So, you mix in photoflo along with the distilled water and white vinegar?

I had read some article about using photoflo before.

Where'd you find the photoflo and how many parts do you include?

I guess there should be a post for homemade record cleaning solutions for those who can't afford VPI's and Nitty Gritty's.

Jul 16, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Photoflo is a surfectant. It prevents water from beading on photographic film. It also will float the dirt out of grooves. I use it with distilled water, not with white vinegar. A couple of drops is enough for a quart of distilled water. Photoflo is best for simple dust. Distilled vinegar is best for the crusty stuff on beaters. You can get photoflo at a camera store that has darkroom supplies.

See ya
Steve

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Remedial,
i have some Gruv Glide laying around. it is a treatment for new/clean records. i've used it in past but quickly tired of it as vinyl playback is already labor intensive enough and i couldn't be bothered to perform yet another task to spin music. i also couldn't detect a sonic difference and i'm not sure that there is any empirical evidence to suggest that it prolongs stylus/vinyl life. i prefer my vinyl to be vestal.

Skoal,
Corey

Jul 17, 2005 at 1:48 PM Post #8 of 8
As soon as I receive a record in the post, I treat it with GruvGlide. I also use inner-poly and outer-poly sleeves on all of my records, so all of my records are pretty much immaculate. One of the best features of GruvGlide is the anti-static properties - any specs of dust just fall off the vinyl.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back