Groovalizer Portable
Apr 14, 2004 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ReDVsion

Headphoneus Supremus
I was hoping my Sharp 4-pole earbuds would be enough of a step up for my portable needs (so I wouldn't have to buy etys/shures), but it turns out that while they are technically better than my koss plugs, they don't groove, and I finally realized that for portable useage, that's what I need.

I need suggestions for earbuds/canalphones/closed/open phones that are easily driven by a portable (and later possibly a Xin SuperDual/Micro), that have the "groovalizer" sound like my K240 Studios do. I would prefer a closed headphone since I will want at least some isolation (and canalphones are finicky with my ears). Price isn't really an issue (I wouldn't think), but I'm not going to be spending an exorbitant amount.

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:50 AM Post #3 of 21
I figured as much... unfortunately it's probably the only one that would suit my tastes, but it too expensive for me to buy ATM. Maybe the e3 might be another option... Now that I think about it, though, I'm probably more interested in a full-sized headphone rather than an in-ear solution.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #4 of 21
There are always the Sony V6.. which sorta grooves, but it's really not a full enough of a sound to make a real emotional connection with the music for me. It's just punchy and pretty well detailed, not quite there.

There are all the Audio Technica headphones, which all have a very balanced presentation, but they're not fully "grooving" either because they're not as bassy and warm as the E5c. They are very good, and very enjoyable, but I wouldn't say they "groove" as much.

Maybe DT770-80's would be down your alley, kicking bass and lower ohms than the 250 version... might be easily driveable, but I really don't know. Never personally tried them.

Lastly, Ultrasone HI-650 DVD or Trackmaster might both be very good options. I heard the DVD version has a really slammy and full bass, while the trackmaster is more balanced.

Edit: almost forgot, HD25-1 seems like a good choice as well.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:26 AM Post #5 of 21
V6s and the DT770s are out. I didn't like the V6s when I heard them (although not in the best environment) and weren't all that comfortable. I think the DT770s will have too much bass... my K240S has enough, and I wouldn't want to have any more than they provide, even in a portable situation. I suppose a wee bit more wouldn't be all that bad, but not preferable.

HD25-1? How do they sound? (edit: never mind... I think searching ought to give me enough info
biggrin.gif
). Is there some other model of the HD25 that I should be avoiding here? (hence the "-1")

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:32 AM Post #7 of 21
Also, I thought the DT 440 might be a good option should I choose open headphones. Any opinions here?

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ReDVsion
Also, I thought the DT 440 might be a good option should I choose open headphones. Any opinions here?

The DT440 is a nice headphone, but they are quite bulky - not the greatest choice for portable use.

Apr 15, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #9 of 21
porta pros
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2004 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by lindrone

Lastly, Ultrasone HI-650 DVD or Trackmaster might both be very good options. I heard the DVD version has a really slammy and full bass, while the trackmaster is more balanced.

I think that is a great suggestion, IMO the DVD's are very "groovy" the can get me rocking out to the beat of a song in a way the CD3000 just doesn't, and they are great for going portable.

You can look up my recent review of the Ultrasones for more of my take on them.

Apr 15, 2004 at 6:29 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Patrickhat2001
I second the recommendation for the 25-1s--they're great small portable phones with a nice grooven sound and they're also easy to drive.

Or third it, if you're keeping track
biggrin.gif

OK, so I'm looking at either the HD25-1, HFI-650 DVD, and *maybe* the DT 440 (just because I'm interested). Next question being, where can I get the best prices for these headphones (in the US)?

Apr 15, 2004 at 12:32 PM Post #14 of 21
Found the HD25-1 for $119. I think Meyer might also be the best place for the DT 440s ($155) although it'd be nice if I could find cheaper.

Apr 15, 2004 at 1:14 PM Post #15 of 21
The Ultrasone 650 DVD Edition have a very exciting sound and a huge bass slam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back