Grill-Fi?
Apr 9, 2008 at 5:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Teraflame

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a good grill for as cheap as possible (Can I get away with <$60?
rolleyes.gif
). Going to mainly use it for steaks and hotdogs, I don't imagine grilling a turkey anytime soon.

Apr 9, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 27
Get a cheap ufo charcoal grill if you want to get away with under $60. It's not a bad way to cook your food and it's very very multipurpose. You can grill with the grille on, or grill directly on the coals or use a skillet directly on the coals. I've even used my wok on the coals before.

Especially if you're using it as a steak grill, I wouldn't go gas for a low budget.

Apr 11, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #3 of 27
Agreed, cheap charcoal grill is the way to go on that. I have two grills, a cheap charcoal one I use for burgers, hot dogs, etc., and a large one with a smoke box for other things. Can't beat a cheap charcoal grill for most quick and easy grilling uses.

Apr 11, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 27
Apr 11, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 27
CharBroil? Every CharBroil grill I've ever owned has ended up burning itself up or having parts break. I've had both Charbroil gas and charcoal grills from Home Depot... I hated all of them.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 27
Well, all I can do is speak from personal experience with the one I have. I received one for Christmas, two years ago, and have grilled with it one to three times a week, year round, and it has held up as well as can be expected. And really, we are talking about sub $60 grills here, not heavy iron, $1000 grills that last for decades.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #8 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by captainzoli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, all I can do is speak from personal experience with the one I have. I received one for Christmas, two years ago, and have grilled with it one to three times a week, year round, and it has held up as well as can be expected. And really, we are talking about sub $60 grills here, not heavy iron, $1000 grills that last for decades.

3 years is about the shelf life for a charbroil. I'm merely suggesting to the OP that by spending a few extra $$ on the $60 weber, it will last longer and he will save money long term by not having to replace the grill.

The weber comes with a 10 year warranty.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 years is about the shelf life for a charbroil. I'm merely suggesting to the OP that by spending a few extra $$ on the $60 weber, it will last longer and he will save money long term by not having to replace the grill.

The weber comes with a 10 year warranty.

I think you are absolutely right with your assessment.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 27
HoboGrill.jpg

Can usually get them for free.

Even as a second top rack for keeping things warm.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HoboGrill.jpg

Can usually get them for free.

Even as a second top rack for keeping things warm.

LMAO... I suppose there's always THAT option.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:47 PM Post #13 of 27
I guess on another positive note for that grill is that you do not need to turn your steaks to get the cross-hatch grill mark pattern. That feature is built into the shopping cart grill.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #14 of 27
Agreed that charcoal grills are the way to go. I've been using a $30 Aussie charcoal grill recently and getting quite good results. Be sure to use good charcoal and light using a chimney starter to keep everything tasty. There's nothing like the taste of lighter fluid to ruin a good steak. Personally, I like using Green Egg (or any brand really) lump charcoal to cook steaks, burgers, hot dogs and anything else that needs seared. It burns hotter and gets going a lot faster.

Yay for my 100th post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back