Griffin Earthumps (PICS)
Feb 28, 2006 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xluben

500+ Head-Fier
Just got my hands on the Griffin Earthumps for $16 (shipped) from:

PROVANTAGE

Here's the pics I promised:

Right now all I have to say is that I love the design, and if they got these into Target/Apple Stores (like many of their other products) they'd probably sell out very quickly (just due to price, styling).

I am going to wait and post my thoughts on their sound a little later when I have more free time and I've listened to them a bit more (right now I'm kind of on the fence, sound-wise).

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #2 of 14
cool... wating for your impressions
biggrin.gif

Burn that book!!! Gawd I hated that class
biggrin.gif

Garrett

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 14
Hahaha, did you HAVE to put them on top of a book that showcased how much smarter you are than me?

icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
cool... wating for your impressions
biggrin.gif

Burn that book!!! Gawd I hated that class
biggrin.gif

Garrett

It was easy through the first exam, which I should have gotten 95% on but I lost 7% for some incorrect notation!
rolleyes.gif
Now it is getting much harder very quickly.
eek.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
The straight 3.5mm plug looks like a Sony EX70/71's plug. Very small and discreet.

The straight plug is actually smaller than the straight plug on the Sony's.

Feb 28, 2006 at 12:56 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by afbug
Wow so small?
eek.gif
It looks like my E888SP's plug.

Pic

They probably come from the same fabrication house in asia

Feb 28, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #8 of 14
I bought these for my sister a couple weeks ago (school bookstore had 'em). I haven't tried them out (I'm not keen on the idea of sharing earbuds, let alone canalphones), but I was impressed with the design and what you get for the price.

Have you had a chance to listen to them yet? How do they sound?

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:44 AM Post #9 of 14
To start off here's pic comparing the Sony plug (top) to the EarThumps plug (bottom):

Next:

I listened to them for a few hours while studying and I have learned a few things:

First, the headphone out of my (vintage) Marantz Model 2240B reciever is VERY powerful and VERY bassy.
Second, these headphones aren't half bad (but not great).
Third, my recabled, modded EX71's do sound much different than stock.
Lastly, I really do hate the EX71's (more than I thought).

(I should note that all thoughts expressed in this post are from listening through my 5G iPod not my Marantz reciever)

The first time I put these headphones in was a few seconds after I had been listening to my Super.fi 5EB's. This probably wasn't a good idea. I thought they sounded very strange. Muffled with a wierd hollow-ness to the mids. It was immediately noticeable that they were bass heavy, but not shrill like the EX71's.

I think I should have started with physical characteristics, but it's not too late, so I'll do them now. I love the design of these things. Small, portable, but (they seem) much more durable than the EX71's. The cord is similar in diameter to the Sony's (thicker than the Super.fi's) but it is much 'tougher' (a little stiffer, but feels much stronger).The earbuds themselves are about the same size as the Sony's but made of hard, shiny plastic (not silver with rubbery stuff around it). I like how they look/feel, but I think some may find it to be a 'cheap' look (plastic).Also they seem to have a metal mesh filter (similar to the MD33) at the bottom of the stem. They also have a small hole in the back of the earpiece (like the EX71's 3 holes) to increase bass (I assume).

The eartips are much thicker, firmer than the Sony's, but not as thick/firm as the clear Shure's. They provide a very good seal, but are a little less comfortable (than the Sony's or Super.fi's). They are a little bit larger than the Sony's, so this may be why I find them less comfy (mediums are a little too big, smalls are too small).Before I started studying (listening) I decided to try out the Sony/Super.fi tips on them. I was very disappointed to find that they dont' fit quite right. It is hard to explain, but the rubber of the eartips ends up pushing into the body of the earpiece when the eartip is all the way on. They do work like this, but I decided to just stick with the stock tips.

After a few hours of listening I became accustomed to their sound and rather like it. I like good bass and I think these are decent. It is just as plentiful as the Sony's but noticeably tighter/less flabby. But it's no where near as good as the Super.fi's. The highs are non-fatigueing (I hate harsh highs), and the mids are a little hollow sounding/not super clear, but not terrible (especially compared to the Sony's also lacking mids).

When I decided to take a break from doing homework I went and got my girlfriend's EX71's to do some A/B testing. After about 30 seconds I took them off and was amazed how horrible they sounded. The highs were just killing me and the mids were worse than I remember (but they sounded quite a bit more clear, probably due to the emphasised).Then I tried my recabled/modded EX71's and they sounded MUCH better than the stock ones (I didn't even realize my mods made that much of a difference sonically), but they were still brighter (harsher) than the EarThumps. With the Treble Reducer EQ on my iPod I actually like my EX71's a bit more than the EarThumps, but compared to stock EX71's with no EQ, I prefer the sound signature of the EarThumps.

Overall thoughts: At first these come off a bit muffled/muddy with strong bass and non-fatigueing highs. After a bit of use, I don't think the hollow/muffled mids are that bad, but not something most audiophiles would be content with. I think they are a VERY good alternative to the EX71's (especially if you hate harsh highs). They are also a one-piece, Y-shaped cable and cost half as much.

I did not spend much time comparing these to the Super.fi's because there is just no point, the 5EB's are much better in every way (except they are a lot bigger). I wouldn't even compare these (sonically) with the KSC75's because they're not in the same league. If you're just looking to get rid of your iBuds these may be great for you. I think they are a good alternative to other low end earphones if you; hate harsh highs, don't like two-piece or y-shaped cables, or want something really cheap.

Lastly, I can't say it enough how much I love the physical design of these earbuds. They are pretty much what I believed the EX71's should be (one-piece, normal length, durable, Y-shaped cable, small size, durable earpieces). You can see how similar they are to my recabled EX71's:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=151377

I think these are a great headphone for people who aren't into headphones.
biggrin.gif
They design is great, and the price is super low, but they leave something to be desired (sound-wise) to the discerning user.

Hope everyone enjoyed that! Let me know if you have other questions.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 14
I can get 'em for $15CAD at my University bookstore. They look pretty cheap, and they probably sound bad (as the previous canalphone mod for the stock iBuds they made would indicate).

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
I can get 'em for $15CAD at my University bookstore. They look pretty cheap, and they probably sound bad (as the previous canalphone mod for the stock iBuds they made would indicate).

They do not sound as bad as the EarJams (I have those too), but if you already have other headphones it's not realy worth it (even if they're really cheap).

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:16 AM Post #12 of 14
Yeah, no doubt.

For IEMs I got the:

SuperFi5.Pro... you know the deal...

Sennheiser CX 300... I've taken a huge liking into these things. The bass extends deeper and louder than the Sony's and is more accurate. The midrange is definately not recessed and the high end is resolved very nicely with no sibilance really (after about 48hrs of some hardcore drum and bass break-in). Honestly, THIS is the budget IEM to buy. It's better than the SuperFi.3 or the ER-6is.

Sony EX51LP... first generation with the tough hard cable, not the grippy one that disintegrates on the new gens. I ripped out that paper filter because I found the highs to be sibilant (ie. the "s" sound and cymbals grainy and shrieky). I just took some cotton balls and rolled them up. It toned down the high end very nicely. The sound is very nice. Powerful bass, highs are nicely there but a little grainy. I've also found these to be very durable.

Panasonic HJE-50... first canalphone I bought but I only probably used it for like 4hrs because I ripped the extension cable and I've never used them since. They sounded ok... bass was punchy but not very loud or deep and the mids were fairly recessed. Highs were ok.

I know that these Griffin headphones will sound like utter sheit but I'm still tempted just to see for myself...
rolleyes.gif

Btw, thermo is one of the gayest courses ever. The whole course was just looking at turbines, heat exchangers all while simulataneously looking up values off of like 40 pages of heat and pressure charts/curves. I have no idea why they wanted the EEs to take that course as a prereq.

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamP
Yeah, no doubt.

For IEMs I got the:

SuperFi5.Pro... you know the deal...

Sennheiser CX 300... I've taken a huge liking into these things. The bass extends deeper and louder than the Sony's and is more accurate. The midrange is definately not recessed and the high end is resolved very nicely with no sibilance really (after about 48hrs of some hardcore drum and bass break-in). Honestly, THIS is the budget IEM to buy. It's better than the SuperFi.3 or the ER-6is.

Sony EX51LP... first generation with the tough hard cable, not the grippy one that disintegrates on the new gens. I ripped out that paper filter because I found the highs to be sibilant (ie. the "s" sound and cymbals grainy and shrieky). I just took some cotton balls and rolled them up. It toned down the high end very nicely. The sound is very nice. Powerful bass, highs are nicely there but a little grainy. I've also found these to be very durable.

Panasonic HJE-50... first canalphone I bought but I only probably used it for like 4hrs because I ripped the extension cable and I've never used them since. They sounded ok... bass was punchy but not very loud or deep and the mids were fairly recessed. Highs were ok.

I know that these Griffin headphones will sound like utter sheit but I'm still tempted just to see for myself...
rolleyes.gif

Btw, thermo is one of the gayest courses ever. The whole course was just looking at turbines, heat exchangers all while simulataneously looking up values off of like 40 pages of heat and pressure charts/curves. I have no idea why they wanted the EEs to take that course as a prereq.

We sound so similar. I have the Super.fi's (but mine are the 5EB) and they destroy <$100 canalphones. I took the paper filters out of my EX71's and put in rolled up earbud foam, which helped the highs a ton. I guess I just bought the EarThumps to see what they sounded like even though I didn't have very high hopes. I don't have the Panasonics or Senns, but both seem to get recommended a lot (especially the Senns, lately). I think I should have picked up the CX300's if I was really looking for a good backup earphone.

Thermo was pretty easy when it was just the first law. Closed systems aren't too difficult, but now it's systems of several devices (heat exchangers, turbines, compressors, diffusers, combusters, etc.) and it's really starting to get tough. We also have to use a thermodynamics program called EES, which is a total pain to try and learn. I am an ME major so I have to take Thermo II and III after this
eek.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
We sound so similar. I have the Super.fi's (but mine are the 5EB) and they destroy <$100 canalphones. I took the paper filters out of my EX71's and put in rolled up earbud foam, which helped the highs a ton. I guess I just bought the EarThumps to see what they sounded like even though I didn't have very high hopes. I don't have the Panasonics or Senns, but both seem to get recommended a lot (especially the Senns, lately). I think I should have picked up the CX300's if I was really looking for a good backup earphone.

Thermo was pretty easy when it was just the first law. Closed systems aren't too difficult, but now it's systems of several devices (heat exchangers, turbines, compressors, diffusers, combusters, etc.) and it's really starting to get tough. We also have to use a thermodynamics program called EES, which is a total pain to try and learn. I am an ME major so I have to take Thermo II and III after this
eek.gif

the more I read the more it looks like the Sennheiser CX 300 is the KSC75 alternative for me.

Yikes thats a lot of thermo. I concentrated on machine design so only needed that first semester....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back