Grieg's "Peer Gynt" - best performance and recordings
Nov 19, 2009 at 3:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AdamWysokinski

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,
The question is addressed to all Grieg lovers. What are in your opinion the best performance and recordings of the wonderful "Peer Gynt"? Since there are many of them, I'd like to start my collection with the best ones.
Thanks for any help,
Adam

Nov 19, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 12
London Philharmonic Orchestra if available.
smily_headphones1.gif
I like their performance and quality of the recording with Ronan O'Hora as the pianist in Grieg's Piano Concerto.

Nov 19, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #5 of 12
The version by Estonian National Symphony Orchestra with Paavo Järvi is a special favourite of mine; it's a really fresh and dynamic performance. "In the Hall of the Mountain King" sends shivers down my spine!

x2 for the Beecham version above too, when a slightly gentler interpretation is needed.

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 12
Frankly, I don't think I've ever heard a bad version of the suite from anyone. The music isn't terribly difficult, and if the conductor gets out of the way and let the musicians play it's magical. But there are two recordings I wouldn't want to miss out on. The Beecham on EMI is an essential library cd. The other is the Marriner on Hanssler Classics. It's not the larger, more complete version he made for EMI, but the two suites and a few other pieces. If you really like the piece you need the complete version on a 2-disk set from Unicorn. Per Dreier and the London Symphony with the Oslo Philharmonic Chorus -- so you know that the pronounciations are correct. Good luck finding it.

Nov 20, 2009 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 12
Thanks all of you for the recommendations, fortunately all of these are available in jpc. I'll give my comparison when I get them.
Thanks again,
Adam

Dec 7, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by gilency /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lucia Popp, Neville Mariner with The Academy of St Martin in the Fields with the Ambrosian Singers.

This is probably my favorite as well, but I like this one a lot, too:
411FTQVS4QL._SS500_.jpg

Feb 8, 2016 at 10:51 AM Post #9 of 12
I am looking at Peer Gynt right now to buy.

I have selected the Paavo Javri one on Amazon, plus the Karajan one. There is a major difference between the two though.

The Karajan starts with the Morning mood pice. Then has the parts divided by suite no, etc. E.g Suite No 1, parts 1-4.

However the Jarvi one has a completely different order, and four more pieces. E.g morning Mood is part ten in this version.

I think the Jarvi version is as the play is performed. I think the Karajan version is as Greig wrote the pieces.

Anyway, the Karajan recording seems a little quiet. The Jarvi might be more a play version and has singing, however I think I prefer just the music.

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #10 of 12
Not the complete suite, only excerpts but my all time favorite :
Chesky records,
Alexander Gibson "A concert tour"
cheskyrecordscd62.jpg

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/Concert-Tour-Alexander-Gibson/dp/B000003GDG/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1455031562&sr=1-1&keywords=chesky+records+Alexander+gibson
new $2.78
wink.gif

Feb 9, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #11 of 12
Yes thank you. I worked it out after writing here.

The Karajan copy has two suites from Peer Gynt. Musical pieces without any of the singing movements. Then two other works which are not from Peer Gynt.

The Paavo Javri is a performance of the play.

I heard a performance of it last night on Classic FM. I can't recall the conductor, but it was performed by The City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra (CBSO). Nice performance.

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #12 of 12
I bought the Karajan version and I put it on for the first time. The morning movement is first on this version. Very nearly brought tears to my eyes. I think it would have had I not been typing on my PC at the same time.

I know it doesn't rate on one of the best recordings of all time. However I think the best rated recordings are of the musical play. Whereas the Karajan just has two Peer Gynt suites; plus two other music. Holberg Suite, and Three Orchestral Pieces from Sijurd Jorsalfar.

I like Karajan from his Beethoven's 6th Symphony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back