Grey Poupon aficionados?
Mar 3, 2007 at 11:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Welly Wu

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I bought some gourmet pretzels today and Grey Poupon Spicy Brown Mustard on a whim. WOW! This is the most intense mustard that I have ever tasted in my life. Tears welled up in my eyes and my nose was flaring! I'm going to make some deviled eggs soon by following the recipe on http://www.kraftfoods.com/greypoupon/ . We have fine coffee, tea, beer, wine, cheese, and why not mustard threads? If you like mustard and you are in the supermarket, then look for some Grey Poupon and try it on some of your favorite foods like hamburgers, hot dogs, pretzels, etc. It is really gourmet mustard and easily one of my favorites.

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 18
nothing beats french's yellow mustard on pretzels...some comfort foods should remain ghetto and not frou-frou'ed up...
however, at sierra nevada brewery in chico, ca they had a sausage sampler with assorted mustards as dipping sauces...quite tasty..
does grey poupon contain wine?

Mar 3, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 18
I love that stuff. Great on sandwiches, especially ham.

Interestingly enough, "Cooks Illustrated" magazine did a tasting of various brands of Dijon mustard, including several from France. The American made Grey Poupon was the clear winner. It's made in strict adherence to the original French recipe. Good eats for sure.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 18
Since all I ever use on my sammiches is mustard, I love trying out different types. I may have five or six different types in the fridge at any given time.

I've recently grown quite fond of a coarse-ground spicy mustard with garlic. Yum. It's a store brand available locally.

My old standby is a sweet 'n' spicy mustard by Woeber's. It's not really exotic, but easy to find and pretty good and it goes great with turkey or pastrami.

The only time I use the plain yellow stuff is if I'm out of everything else.

Mar 4, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 18
Honey mustard and pretzels is always good. Can't say that I've ever had Grey Poupon.

Mar 4, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #6 of 18
The grey poup isn't bad, but it doesn't have horseradish. Far superior is "Ass Kickin" (tm) mustard which has horseradish and habenero peppers.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by daycart1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The grey poup isn't bad, but it doesn't have horseradish. Far superior is "Ass Kickin" (tm) mustard which has horseradish and habenero peppers.

Yikes!! that must be pretty hot.

Yeah I love Dijon mustards, and honey mustards. I don't care much for the plain yellow stuff.

Take a kaiser roll or baguette, slit it open cram a big bratworst, heap o'kraut a little kechup, dijon and red onion.

Mmmmm!!!

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #8 of 18
I love dijon mustard. GP is a good mustard but so far, the best French style mustard that I've ever had is Maille. In my opinion, this stuff is better.

Here's what the product looks like.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...ode=ur2&page=1

I also love to cook with Dijon mustard. You can just add it to a little bit of olive oil and marinate chicken or pork and then grill it, or pan fry your meat with the Dijon mustard marinade. Don't add salt since it's already has salt.

It's really excellent and the French do this too. Cooking with mustard gives you a different dimention of great flavor. Glad you are enjoying Grey Poupin. Good stuff.

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #9 of 18
I love moose-turd! When I was growing up my Grandfather kept many different types in his house. Gramps also did the same thing with peanut butter too. I am very fond of both, must he hereditary.
icon10.gif

Mar 4, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #11 of 18
Unlike Ketchup, which can only really have a few variations (i.e., stuff mixed in), there must be hundreds/thousands of mustards out there. if you are ever in a high-end gourmet store, take a peek at the mustard section, and it is amazing. Certainly, the French have been doing this for generations, but you can find choices from many countries, as well as a lot of home-grown stuff.

That being said, I was in an African restaurant in Holland 5 years ago, and they served ginger ketchup as a condiment. Haven't been able to find it in a store ever since. Has anybody aver heard of that?

Mar 4, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #12 of 18
i'm a big fan of mustard.

the one i keep coming back to is Mister Mustard "Hot"... it's classic american deli mustard with a kick.

Mar 4, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 18
Grey Poupon has a coarse mustard, but it has no garlic. Check the website. Take some Ritz crackers, your favorite cheeses, and a tiny bit of GP and it is a snack to savor for sure. The spicy brown will make you almost cry. It's that good.

Mar 17, 2007 at 2:02 AM Post #15 of 18
I bought some more Grey Poupon Dijon Mustard with Wasa multi-grain and light rye crackers along with Organic Valley Monterrey Pepper Jack cheese. This is sinfully delicious. Got it all from Whole Foods in my town. I also bought a Bodum Brazil French Press maker and I am waiting for my Dillanos coffees to arrive tomorrow.

This is my favorite mustard so far. Pungent, rich, smooth, and utterly great with most all snacks and sandwiches.

Highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back