Greetings and queries re: Marshall Monitors, Topping NX1A and Topping NX4
Mar 17, 2017 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Thor Hugo

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I've been gifted with a pair of Marshall Monitors and I am new to this milieu.

My musical equipment and experience is what's presented by an iPhone 6 Plus, its standard earbuds and a set of Awei earphones I bought for less than a dollar off a mall stand some 5 or so years ago. Oh! and a JBL Charge 3 bluetooth speaker.

My taste in music is eclectic, although my iPhone contains mostly classical and jazz. I'm also quite fond of R & B from the 70s and 80s.

Since I received the headphones I've been reading articles, guides and popular review threads here and in other sites to try to understand the language, gear and other related technicalese. At least now I think I know the use of certain adjectives to describe sound as perceived through the Marshalls. I'm also now aware that they could be made to sound better by a suitable amplifier.

If I may, I have a question or three:

Would the Marshall Monitors and the Topping NX1A (connected to the iPhone 6+) make a good setup? How about the Topping NX3 and/or the Topping NX5?

What other portable amplifiers would (with a +/- $100 budget) make the Marshalls sound really nice?

I notice there are threads here on the Topping NX1, the NX2, NX3 and even the NX5 but none on the NX4, a recent portable DAC cum amplifier. It seems to offer a certain fascination for me. Has anyone ever tried it?

Looking forward to your replies, input and other advice,

Thor Hugo

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 3
I've read this thread and silly, stupid me forgot about the thread starter by H2OFidelity. His measurements and the sound characteristics as described by the other posters that follow indeed answer my first question as to whether the Topping NX1A will pair well with the Marshall Monitors.

@natto, thanks!

My teen daughter who is into rock however keeps borrowing the Marshalls which seem suited to the genre and I can take the hint.
rolleyes.gif
  Now if she could also take mine about listening at very loud levels...
smily_headphones1.gif

This means I'll be looking for another set of cans (hmmm--feels weird saying that) and that also means I shall be looking for an amplifier that's a bit more flexible as regards synergy with its prospective headphone mate. Perhaps a combo DAC/amplifier even. I've been considering the FiiO E18 Kunlun but I'm quite fascinated by the Topping NX4 paired with accurate, neutral headphones. The latter DAC/amp has not been reviewed in HeadFi yet. Makes me feeling very adventurous and very nervous at the same time--my new year's resolution was to start saving.

Stay within a budget...stay within a budget... That's my mantra for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back