Greetings! Also, why do my Monoprice 109927's blow away my AKG 240's?
Jan 19, 2018 at 7:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Gallatin

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone, it's great to meet you.

After a move (and a heck of an adventure in the Rockies for four years) I got my Delta 66 sound card working on my older Windows music machine. I bought the sound card in 2000 for around $350, and I've found the converters still sound great, and it adds a lot of punch and clarity to my headphones.

Well, I decided to do a side by side with my $8 Monoprice 109927 earbuds (Amazon) and my AKG 240's, and Seinheiser 201's.

I'm shocked at the results.

The $8 earbuds have better neutrality, yet are also more engaging and clear than both the AKG's and the Seinheisers (I paid $100 for the AKG's back in 2008).

Apparently sometimes you don't get what you pay for. On my Android and on my iPod, the Monoprice don't seem to have such a big gap (but still sound superior). But on the Detla 66, it's stunningly obvious. Very impressed.

Can anyone tell me if the 109396 Monoprice earbuds on Amazon are the same sound quality as these 109927? Thanks.

BTW, I'm using the stock tips on the Monoprice's.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2018 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 4
The $8 earbuds have better neutrality, yet are also more engaging and clear than both the AKG's and the Seinheisers (I paid $100 for the AKG's back in 2008).

Apparently sometimes you don't get what you pay for. On my Android and on my iPod, the Monoprice don't seem to have such a big gap (but still sound superior). But on the Detla 66, it's stunningly obvious. Very impressed.

You're not comparing comparable items there. The Monoprice has higher sensitivity, which means it's easier for whatever you're plugging them into to drive, therefore you're farther from amp distortion and clipping. They also have higher isolation, which means that you don't have to crank it up as much (also contributing to staying farther from amplification limits) and whatever you can hear isn't being obscured as much by ambient noise.

Think of it as having a 4cyl engine that you initially tried with a Camry, then you put the engine into a Caterham 7 chassis.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #3 of 4
True, it is odd to compare earbuds to over-ear. But they just sound better to me, and I can't stand most earbuds. Either way, it's amazing to have my Delta 66 back. So much better than my Android and iPod (running iTunes on the PC). I'd forgotten how good it was....like someone took a heavy blanket off my music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back