Greenest desires
Feb 19, 2010 at 8:12 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Guidry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good God that was brutal.

yeah, but wait until you hear the rest of the album. I admire the fact that they seem to have retained their original guitar tone, slowed the pace and created just about the heaviest sound imaginable. The layers of distortion update their sound and make it quite unique. At least try to d/l "Os Abysmi Vel Daath" and "Synagoga Satanae", these tracks are the definition of heavy imo.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #32 of 49
Btw if you find Sunn a bit tedious try "Altar" - the album they did with Boris a couple of years ago. The music is a little more structured and some of it quite beautiful. Actually it's a superb release and it introduced me to both artists, whom I now admire.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #33 of 49
My problem is with Black One, admittedly the only Sunn O))) recording I have heard. I also don't much like Boris because their noise is too harsh, i.e. too much high frequencies, and it is very tiring to listen to.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #34 of 49
I agree with you about the qualities you described in the two bands that can make them difficult to enjoy. Sunn can be tedious at times however I find some of their tracks have a unique meditative quality that I quite enjoy. Yes Boris can be screechy and fatiguing to listen to, but their output is quite varied and there are gems to be found.

The majority of artists are inconsistent in their work and that keeps things interesting. My subjective experience of an artists work may be the opposite of the next guy, even though we both admire the same artist, but for different reasons.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:04 PM Post #35 of 49
bought Altar on your recommendation...I like it better than Black One (which is not saying much) but I still don't think that the whole is worth much. I am getting away from purely experimental music anyway, and I generally only like this sort of barely structured drift jamming when it comes from artists like William Baskinski, Tim Heckler, Oophoi, Loscil, and the like. Perhaps a few more listens will yield more interest, but at this point, I doubt it.

On the plus side, I have been listening more and more to my Iron Monkey Our Problem CD and I have been rather having fun with it. It's just the sort of sludge rock that I like.

Feb 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #36 of 49
Give it time buddy. I didn't think much of it at first, but it's a grower. I actually prefer more experimental type stuff but ymmv. I find traditionally structured rock music quite boring unless it's something really special.
Good luck with it!

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:33 PM Post #37 of 49
Placed an order on the Southern Lord website to buy some CD's they had available on the big doom sale and I got

Earthride - Taming of the Demons
and Vampire Circus

as well as

Lair of the Minotaur - Carnage
and The Ultimate Destroyer

Listening to Earthride now, basically Maryland doom, sort of like St. Vitus if they had better production techniques. Not bad, just not remarkable.

Lair of the Minotaur has a strong death metal/thrash metal element to it, and they revel in the images and excess of metal. *** the first song on Carnage is called "Juggernaut of Metal". I believe it's tongue in cheek, it's technically competent, and very fun to listen to.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Mar 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #38 of 49
Cathedral - The Guessing Game

265349.jpg

Track listing:

Disc 1

01.Immaculate Misconception
02.Funeral of Dreams
03.Painting in the Dark
04.Death of an Anarchist
05.The Guessing Game
06.Edwige's Eyes
07.Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine

Disc 2

01.One Dimensional People
02.The Casket Chasers
03.La Noche del Buque Maldito (aka Ghost Ship of the Blind Dead)
04.The Running Man
05.Requiem for the Voiceless
06.Journeys into Jade

Stoner doom vets Cathedral unleash their new album March 26th via Nuclear Blast. As always, the surreal/fantasy theme for the cover art is something you'd see while tripped out.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #39 of 49
That Earthride video was painful to watch/hear. That is everything that sucks about contemporary doom. Boring riff, weak drums(can see better drum fills at a high school battle of the bands), predictable solo but most of all that singer is like a will ferrell character....except not funny. This is Stoner doom by the numbers and these guys cant count. This is the kind of performance where I make my way to the bar or outside the venue before the first song is done.

Mar 9, 2010 at 1:06 AM Post #41 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cathedral - The Guessing Game

265349.jpg

Stoner doom vets Cathedral unleash their new album March 26th via Nuclear Blast. As always, the surreal/fantasy theme for the cover art is something you'd see while tripped out.
biggrin.gif

I'm curious about this one too Azathoth, but I pretty much left Cathedral alone when they turned into a biker rock band. I really prefer their earliest pure doom releases.

Mar 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

I think many of their songs are samey elbuzzard but I think they do show some signs of originality on their CD's.

Gave them a listen recently. I guess my post was a bit harsh. Still, this stuff does nothing for me. Especially when there is so much better stuff out there in a similar vein.

Speaking of samey, Just picked up the 2009 Om release "God is Good". I know its closer to repetitive psychedelic than doom but wow. How am I still interested in this riff four albums in? Dunno, but I'm hooked.

Mar 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #43 of 49
Quote:

Surprised to find out that one of the hottest bands in sludge/doom nowadays is from nearby Baton Rouge, Louisiana...

They are called Thou...here's a link to their last.fm page.

Very slow, early Melvins style sludge with rough, black/death metal style vocals. Nice on your Beyer DT-770's...!

Thou is really good. In terms of sludge, I would say they are one of the best around right now. However, nothing tops EHG.

Apr 29, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #44 of 49
A couple friends at work recently introduced me to the stoner, doom, sludge scene via bands like Zebulon Pike, Sleep and my personal favorites Shrinebuilder and Brant Bjork's "Jalamanta".

This has been like going down the rabbit hole for me as I've been poking around websites and such looking for more that interests me. So far stuff I've come across that that has caught my attention includes, Ancestors, Asteroid, Witch, Black Math Horseman, Gomer Pyle, Cosmic Vishnu. I tend to prefer cleaner vocals although I have to admit Isis has really grabbed me as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back