Greenest desires
Jan 7, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #16 of 49
I went to New Orleans this weekend and bought a couple NOLA metal classics:

Eyehategod Dopesick
Acid Bath Paegan Terrorism Tactics

Dopesick is really a stoner/drug music classic, a severely tortured blast of hardcore influenced sludge metal that nears being pure noise in its intensity an chaotic presentation. What Melvins would sound like if Buzz shot speedballs...

Paegan Terrorism Tactics, like the allmusic.com review suggests, is stylistically all over the place. I hear elements of prog rock within the sludge, with a great acoustic number rounding out the proceedings. Augie Martell's voice is a welcome change to the shredded vocals of most other sludge metal vocalists, melodic and sounding great.

You really can't go wrong buying either release, but I would warn you to be prepared for Dopesick, as it really is an INTENSE album.

Jan 7, 2010 at 8:14 AM Post #18 of 49
Electric Wizard owns this thread!

407_photo.jpg

"Come My Fanatics..." and "Dopethrone" are essential stoner doom listening IMO.

3761.jpg

album-dopethrone.jpg

This year, I've been spinning Shrinebuilder's self-titled debut a lot. How could you possibly go wrong with a lineup of Wino, Al Cisneros and Scott Kelly? You can't.

I could almost see smoke billowing from my speakers, drowning me in a hypnotizing smoky haze.
biggrin.gif

Jan 7, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #20 of 49
I seriously considered a road trip to Austin (7 hours away from where I am) to go see Shrinebuilder, because that's the closest they came on tour to me. I'm very interested in hearing that record, but it hasn't drifted by me in a record store just yet.

Jan 9, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This year, I've been spinning Shrinebuilder's self-titled debut a lot. How could you possibly go wrong with a lineup of Wino, Al Cisneros and Scott Kelly? You can't.

I could almost see smoke billowing from my speakers, drowning me in a hypnotizing smoky haze.
biggrin.gif

I guess im not paying attention to the scene much since this is the first I heard of this project. WoW! but if i were to conjure up a supergroup from my youth I would replace Wino with King Buzzo...and probably throw in Dale crover on drums. I saw quite a few shows where Asbestos Deth/Sleep opened for Neurosis @ Gillman St...... those were the days.

Jan 13, 2010 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 49
Just picked up the two disc combo set of Iron Monkey's self-titled debut and their first full length CD Our Problem. Obviously very Sabbathy, sounding good, but as another reviewer put it, they wear their influences on their sleeves, approaching but not quite nearing a sound of their own. A good purchase if you like the stoner rock genre, and since they were contemporaries of Eyehategod, they get compared frequently, but I think Eyehategod's sounds were more visionary and out there, where Iron Monkey stayed fairly close to stoner rock orthodoxy.

Feb 1, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #23 of 49
Finally pulled the trigger and bought Acid King - III from iTunes. Tracks from this CD have come up often when I use last.fm on a "stoner rock" tag station, and I have loved everything I have heard.

If it's straight up Sabbath doom you want, these guys have it in spades, but they put a particularly cool vibe on it, and Lori Crover's (Dale Crover of the Melvins wife) vocals take the music into the stratosphere. Highly recommended.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:11 PM Post #27 of 49
How about a "heroin music" thread with Lou Reed and Mazzy Star for starters?

Or, "music to drink by" with Tom Waits and Johnny Cash?

I always think of stoner music as more "Rastafarian", but that's me I guess.

Feb 18, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #28 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always think of stoner music as more "Rastafarian", but that's me I guess.

I can just see the surly look on the face of a stoner when you you say to him "you've got to lively up yourself"
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:41 AM Post #29 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
seminal:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Excellent stuff...they seem to take a few notes from black metal in the sort of underproduced sound.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #30 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by rehabitat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...and the final incarnation of Celtic Frost was arguably some of the finest doom/stoner metal of recent times:

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Good God that was brutal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back