Green Ear Syndrome.....
Nov 19, 2009 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oktapod

Head-Fier
Hi folks, apologies for the cryptic topic title. I'm talking about my Shure E2Cs which are three years old. I've used them a fair bit but never ever abused them. They work for me and provide a good-enough sound, isolation and comfort for iPod listening and I had no plans to replace them.

However, a few weeks ago, I started to notice a strange thing - occasionally, when I'd been wearing them, I'd have a green mark alongside my ear. As if something in the cable was exuding a dye, or something had leaked onto the earpiece.

I checked the earpiece and could see a small amount of green colouration, cleaned it up and that was that. A couple of days later, it happened again. COuldn't explain it.

I thought to myself; maybe there's something in my skin reacting to the cable. Didn't make a lot of sense - why had it started now? Couldn't really see any reason why this would suddenly happen after a couple of years of satisfactory use.

Then I spotted it: a small break in the insulation in the cable, just where the natural dressing of the cable forms a curve. I could see copper. And it had oxidised. Greenly.

I checked the other side: same story.

So, I have two breaks in the insulation yet have never abused nor stressed the cable. I am always careful to store the headphones when not in use and I never pull them out by the cables. Nevertheless, they have worn out.

Two things spring to mind: is this a one-off or is it a known flaw, and if so do I have any redress against Shure?

Note that I'm otherwise very happy with the headphones and have taped up the broken parts of the cable insulation in the meantime. I cannot hear any degradation in sound quality, so they're still working - but the tape on the cable looks unsightly and I'm not totally happy with the fact that they've worn out despite being looked after.

Anyone else had this happen to them? Anyone chased up Shure? Any luck?

Thanks,

John

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #2 of 12
Shure hasn't proved that they know how to make good quality cables by a long shot. Happened to one of my mics and scratch needle. Bleeds iron all over my vinyl ^^

Nov 19, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #4 of 12
My two guesses: corrosion, or mold. How does the green stuff smell?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 12
Seems like normal wear and tear. Cables can only last so long, hencewhy replaceable cables are becoming invaluable in the market for long-run durability.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 12
bluishgreen usualy indicates copper oxide from the cabling, meaning that the cable seal is broken,

depending on the IEM, i would replace the cable or start thinking about RMA,

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 12
Shure doesn't even make the e2c anymore.

Copper doesn't always oxidize but when it does, it can produce large amounts of it. Unfortunately your case is pretty bad.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #10 of 12
Your sweat can erode away the insulation given time. Combine that with friction with your skin.

Nov 20, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #11 of 12
Thanks folks.

So, my plan is now: live with them until they die (which may not be so far away I'm guessing) and then replace with...

...and that's the next question: what's a good in-ear with decent isolation for around fifty quid ($75ish) - can go a bit higher if it's worthwhile, but this time I want replaceable cables...

Nov 23, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 12
I've had the same problem with my last 2 pairs of E2c's (the first pair was still under warranty so Shure replaced them with the 2nd pair for free).

I take really good care of my headphones also (case them when not in use, etc). After enough use, the insulation just starts to break down. On both pairs they split on the bend over the top of my ear (both sides) and on a couple spots a little farther down on the cable.

I have patched them with some liquid electrical tape, which works well enough if the crack in the insulation isn't too bad. It will help keep it together. Even with it, they will eventually get worse. Also, you wont be able to case them anymore because the liquid tape is fairly stiff. Trying to case it will cause it to crack and will likely make your insulation cracks worse.

I'm basically in the same boat as you - just holding out until they are no longer usable. At least my first pair was replaced free. Between the 2 pairs, I've had them for about 5 years, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth.

Replacable cables would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back