Greatest rock 'n roll drummers...
Oct 14, 2002 at 8:45 AM Post #16 of 48
Terry Bozzio from Bozzio/Levin/Stevens and some other Magna Carta (label) projects. amazing drumming, incredible fills.

Bill Bruford (King Crimson, Yes, Earthworks). my alltime favourite drummer. want to knwo how incredible he is? buy King Crimson - Disciplne. hardly any cymbals, polyrythms all over the place. not quite "just a drummer".

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:58 AM Post #17 of 48
I'll second Ginger Baker. Toad, Do What You Like - classic stuff!

Oct 14, 2002 at 10:45 AM Post #18 of 48
I'll go with Peart..one of my favs.
Keith Moon had style...anyone lately destroy a drum set?
Charley Watts for his enthusiasm for rock and roll...Mick Fleetwood? I really liked Steve Gadd on Steely Dan's Aja..
You guys missed Stuart Copeland....the dude who defined the off beat rim shot...
Buddy Rich?
Alex Van Halen(Hot for Teacher)
I am sure there are more...but just listening, I think I could pick out Neil Peart and Stuart Copeland by ear.
md

Oct 14, 2002 at 10:55 AM Post #19 of 48
neil,
Hmmmm...okay..Neil Peart to my ears has the fastest drums in the world! When I want to audition how drums sound, I break out Rush. The snap and speed at which he approaches his drums is amazing. Peart is on a mission!
The fact that he writes the lyrics only makes him more of an icon.
md

Oct 14, 2002 at 11:35 AM Post #20 of 48
personal favourites:

Dave Lombardo (Slayer/Fantomas)
Pete Sandoval (Morbid Angel/Terrorizer)
Dave Witte (Discordance Axis/Human Remains)
Duncan Redmonds (Snuff)
the various drummers for A.C.
biggrin.gif

Oct 14, 2002 at 1:23 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver
Terry Bozzio from Bozzio/Levin/Stevens and some other Magna Carta (label) projects. amazing drumming, incredible fills.

Bill Bruford (King Crimson, Yes, Earthworks). my alltime favourite drummer. want to knwo how incredible he is? buy King Crimson - Disciplne. hardly any cymbals, polyrythms all over the place. not quite "just a drummer".

Bozzio was awesome on Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop as well as the tour. He is probably the most underrated drummer around.

Bruford rules. Red by King Crimson is a great show off piece.

I also like Alan White of Yes.

Oct 14, 2002 at 2:36 PM Post #22 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by Braver

This group is awesome. What other artists on that label would you recommend? The only other I've heard is Attention Deficit, who I recommend -Tim "Herb" Alexander who I mentioned earlier is their drummer, this was one of his post-Primus groups.

Oct 14, 2002 at 5:43 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by neil
Smashing Pumpkins Jimmy Chamberlin - fantastic. Also has great touch, speed -- not nearly the tempo precision of Peart; however, I'm inclined to believe that they weren't playing to any sequenced/click tracks/metronome.
biggrin.gif

Tool Danny Carey - this guy made a deal with the devil. He's so damn good, that if you haven't heard the entire Lateralus yet, and you're into rock drumming, you're a very very deprived individual. [/B]

Uh, those are the two I was gonna say.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hrmm, guess I have nothing to add hehe.

Biggie.

Oct 14, 2002 at 6:04 PM Post #24 of 48
A few of my favorites:

Rick Lee -- Ten Years After

John Bonham -- Led Zeppelin

Adolfo de la Parra -- Canned Heat

Ginger Baker -- Cream

No little coincidence that these are some of my favorite groups.

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:02 PM Post #26 of 48
Quote:

Originally posted by tehpressman
This group is awesome. What other artists on that label would you recommend? The only other I've heard is Attention Deficit, who I recommend -Tim "Herb" Alexander who I mentioned earlier is their drummer, this was one of his post-Primus groups.

well, Tony Levin can be found on some other Magna Carta releases, but I only know Liquid Tension Experiment. I don't know if you know DreamTheater, but if you do, you should already own one if not both LTE albums! if you don't, check Scenes From A Memory, then LTE2. all involved are at the top of their game. if you want to hear more Levin, check Peter Gabriel, King Crimson (from the 80s) and his solo work (yes, a solo bass player). he's also on one Paul Simon album, but I'm not sure which, as well as a couple thousand others
wink.gif

another one connected to DreamTheater is MullMuzzler, with James Labrie. I only know a couple of songs, but it's good stuff.

Trent Gardner bores me, but you might like him, a lot of people do. Terry Bozzio plays drums on the Explorer Club albums.

once you've checked LTE, you might want to hear some more from Jordan Rudess, he has two albums released on Magna Carta. he's a great piano/keyboard player.

but B/L/S and LTE are the only ones from whom I actually have CDs. tho not from Magna Carta, you should seriously consider checking Tony Levin - Waters of Eden.

Oct 14, 2002 at 8:38 PM Post #27 of 48
Vinny Appiece from DIO
Carl Palmer from E.L.P
...although it's jazz-rock fussion - not rock'n roll, I can't help not mentioning Billy Cobham when speaking about great drummers
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 1:39 AM Post #28 of 48
When I first saw markl's post, I was going to say John Bonham and Neil Peart.

But after reading the thread, what struck me was that every drummer listed was basically a rock drummer. If you've ever heard music from other cultures that have drums and percussion, you realize how limited many rock drummers are
smily_headphones1.gif
Just something to think about
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2002 at 2:33 AM Post #29 of 48
Well, the topic was 'Greatest rock 'n roll drummers...' -- but, yeah, I agree. There's this guy, Tumombo Sene-Sese, who does the beats for the raindance for this Zulu tribe near Kinshasa, whose work I really admire. He even makes his own equipment. Amazing stuff.

kerely

Oct 15, 2002 at 6:13 AM Post #30 of 48
I like this guy called Machine. He must be some sort of session guy, because I see him on lots of albums!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back