Greatest Heavy Metal Drummers of All Time?
Dec 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The band that started it all:

Bill Ward from Black Sabbath...without him, all other Heavy Metal drummers would have NOWHERE to start!

I can't believe no one mentioned him.

Actually, the GREATEST DRUMMER OF ALL FREAKING TIME opened the path for Sabbath: John Bonham from the greatest rock and roll band of all time (Led Zeppelin for all you younger folks)!

darthsmile.gif

3253.jpg

Yes, I like Black Sabbath with Bill Ward and Ozzy a lot.
Actuallly, in the 'rock drummers' poll mentioned in the original post
I had also put Bill Ward, and - forgive me, brothers - Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
as the only two heavy metal drummers.

By the way, we've also had a poll: Black Sabbath with Ozzy or Dio?

reunionband2.jpg

Black Sabbath reunion, 1997- 1999.

But what about Vinny Appice who replaced Bill Ward during the Dio era?
Just asking, 'cause I've never accepted Black Sabbath with Dio and Vinny Appice.

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3253.jpg

Yes, I like Black Sabbath with Bill Ward and Ozzy a lot.
Actuallly, in the 'rock drummers' poll mentioned in the original post
I had also put Bill Ward, and - forgive me, brothers - Lars Ulrich (Metallica)
as the only two heavy metal drummers.

By the way, we've also had a poll: Black Sabbath with Ozzy or Dio?

reunionband2.jpg

Black Sabbath reunion, 1997- 1999.

But what about Vinny Appice who replaced Bill Ward during the Dio era?
Just asking, 'cause I've never accepted Black Sabbath with Dio and Vinny Appice.

beerchug.gif
L3000.gif
popcorn.gif

Actually I am a fan of both versions of Black Sabbath: Ozzy/Bill and Ronnie/Vinny.

Ozzy had the personality, but Dio has the best metal vocals ever. I think Kirk Hammett backs me up on this one. Heaven and Hell is definitely one of the greatest metal/hard rock albums of all time.

So my props to Vinny and Ron!!!

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Actually I am a fan of both versions of Black Sabbath: Ozzy/Bill and Ronnie/Vinny.

Ozzy had the personality, but Dio has the best metal vocals ever. I think Kirk Hammett backs me up on this one. Heaven and Hell is definitely one of the greatest metal/hard rock albums of all time.

So my props to Vinny and Ron!!!

Yes, obviously Dio has a way better voice than Ozzy,
but I still prefer Black Sabbath with Ozzy in it.

Regarding your ' .... but Dio has the best metal vocals ever. ...'
have you seen Greatest Heavy Metal Singer??

Note that I've excluded four great heavy metal singers: Bruce Dickinson, Ronnie James Dio, Rob Halford and Geoff Tate.

Apropos Heavy Metal drummers.

No one mentioned the Lord of Drums (aka Lars Ulrich).
See for instance here: John Bonham vs. Lars Ulrich.
John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) was a hard rock drummer
and Lars Ulrich (Metallica) has been a heavy metal drummer.

beerchug.gif

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

The band that started it all:

Bill Ward from Black Sabbath...without him, all other Heavy Metal drummers would have NOWHERE to start!

I can't believe no one mentioned him.

Actually, the GREATEST DRUMMER OF ALL FREAKING TIME opened the path for Sabbath: John Bonham from the greatest rock and roll band of all time (Led Zeppelin for all you younger folks)!

darthsmile.gif

Um...dude, same page, a few posts above yours i said

Quote:

I have to consider the original masters of metal Sabbath and give Bill Ward my nod for being so legendary and important in this genre, and really laying it down and not being too focussed on speed and complexity.

Dec 15, 2009 at 9:39 PM Post #36 of 43
Bill Ward played the drums on Heaven and Hell which is one of my favorite Sabbath albums. Vinny played the drums on Mob Rules and Dehumanizer.

Dec 18, 2009 at 9:03 PM Post #40 of 43
I don't know what their definition of heavy metal or progressive is, but Dream Theatre is considered progressive metal by lots and lots of people. Rush hasn't really been progressive since about 1981 but I guess once you're labeled with that, it sticks. And for crying out loud, can't they spell Neil correctly? They probably pronounce his last name Pert too. Sheesh.

Dec 18, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah Mike Mangini. Didnt he have a record for fastest something? Don't remember what it was for though.

Highest recorded BPM doing a single stroke roll, if I remember correctly. I remember watching the video.

Dec 19, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #42 of 43
Always been a huge fan of Frost from Satyricon's drumming style. Within the blackmetal genre, he's a badass. As a drummer myself, his speed, stamina, and creativity are impressive.

wloeti.jpg

Dec 20, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #43 of 43
Based on recordings then for me it has to be Ed Warby of Gorefest (also plays on many of Arjen Lucassen's projects). I can't believe he hasn't been mentioned already.

Based on shows I've seen live it has to be Terry Bozzio who I'm classing as a metal drummer since I seen him filling in for Dave Lombardo when Fantomas toured the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back