Greatest Director in the History of Cinema
Feb 24, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #61 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, someone mentions Bunuel and Herzog.

I didn't completely forget about him!

Quote:

Originally Posted by J W /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like everyone listed on the poll. Bergman would probably be #1. I also really like Robert Bresson.

duh, and also Herzog.

This is a superb list, though I'm unfamiliar with Sam Peckinpah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is my top 10 movie directors of all time:

1: Akira Kurosawa
2: Robert Bresson
3: Luis Bunuel
4: Michelangelo Antonioni
5: Werner Herzog
6: Jean Pierre Melville
7: Frederico Fellini
8: Orson Welles
9: Sam Peckinpah
10: Joel Cohen

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #62 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry to burst into this forum like that but I am a Kubrick fanatical and this got me "out of the woods" :)

Since you state a personal opinion I see no contradiction between your comment and those results.

Even if it may sound like a fallacious argument, the fact that Kubrick's films filled me with so many elaborated delights and the fact that I reckon the directors listed here as the major ones (John Ford would also fit, as Jean Renoir and Roberto Rossellini), lead me to believe that I may have perceived something that you have not rather than a lack of maturity in my tastes.

BTW 2001 and clockword orange are his absolute best IMO (in that order): 2001 is impossible to top (still IMO).

I totally get it that an author, director, artist, etc. can connect more directly with some people than others (hence the diversity of responses here). That said, I'm not a Kubrick fan at all and get very little from his films. 2001 is easily topped, in my opinion, by the recent indie film, "Moon", which clearly takes some influence from the former. Sam Rockwell is great, and the soundtrack by Clint Mansell is also excellent. Where I find Kubrick's films lacking is that they occur to me as cold and impersonal with no one for me to really connect with. Perhaps that's part of the point, but I'd rather spend my time in other ways myself. They just don't click with me.

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #63 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I totally get it that an author, director, artist, etc. can connect more directly with some people than others (hence the diversity of responses here). That said, I'm not a Kubrick fan at all and get very little from his films. 2001 is easily topped, in my opinion, by the recent indie film, "Moon", which clearly takes some influence from the former. Sam Rockwell is great, and the soundtrack by Clint Mansell is also excellent. Where I find Kubrick's films lacking is that they occur to me as cold and impersonal with no one for me to really connect with. Perhaps that's part of the point, but I'd rather spend my time in other ways myself. They just don't click with me.

I respect your opinion and you stated it well. Sorry I have got a little carried away :wink:

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #64 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I respect your opinion and you stated it well. Sorry I have got a little carried away :wink:

Oh, I didn't think you got carried away at all. I appreciate people speaking there passions openly and thought your post was well-said. I just thought to provide a different perspective. I have enjoyed some of Kubrick's films. "Full Metal Jacket" and "The Shining" come to mind. There's not doubt he's a great director and that his films will remain classics. They just don't click with me.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #65 of 85
A difficult choice between Scorsese and Kubrick but I gave my vote for Scorsese. He has just an insane amount of great movies.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #66 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, and I do love Jarmusch's work as well, though didn't care for Ghost Dog much. I liked his early stuff...Stranger than Paradise, Mystery Train, Down by Law...just great!! If you haven't seen it, check out the TV series John Lurie did called "Fishing with John" in which Jarmusch is one of his companions on one episode. Tom Waits is not to be missed in that series...hilarious!!!

Yeah, Fishing with John was great. I can go to my grave knowing that I've seen Tom Waits put a fish down his pants. You know, for seasickness.

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, Fishing with John was great. I can go to my grave knowing that I've seen Tom Waits put a fish down his pants. You know, for seasickness.

i had every episode recorded, but seem to have misplaced them. i loved the episode where John Lurie and Willem Dafoe go ice-fishing in Maine. they never catch a fish, Willem starts hitting on John, and at the end they both die.

brilliant.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:29 AM Post #69 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you guys please list some recommendations for kurosawa? i have heard of rashomon and seven samurai.

An attempt at listing my favorites in descending order...

Ikiru (my favorite movie ever from anybody)
Seven Samurai
Yojimbo / Sanjuro
High and Low
Madadayo
The Bad Sleep Well
One Wonderful Sunday
The Hidden Fortress
Red Beard
Throne of Blood

I've seen most of Kurosawa's work and it's almost all good. I know Ran is missing from my list, only because it is so demanding to watch. The only film of his I have seen and come away not liking is The Most Beautiful, which is basically a WWII Japanese propaganda film. Other than that, I would suggest starting with his more popular works and if you enjoy those, start watching teh rest fo his work, most of which is excellent.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:32 AM Post #70 of 85
Hitch or Kurosawa. So hard to choose.

Feb 28, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #71 of 85
I'm surprised that kubrick got so many votes, while he's influential, I did not perceive him as revolutionary as some of the other directors listed. But all listed are amazing, and the choice is near impossible.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #72 of 85
My vote goes to Sam Newfield cuz it's all about quantity not quality
wink_face.gif

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0627864/

Feb 28, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #75 of 85
I don't know why I'm resistant to say it, but it may be Stanley Kubrick—at least of this poll's list. My first thought was that Martin Scorsese's work has been pretty consistent, but I feel like his more recent films have dipped quite a bit.

I'm glad folks have mentioned Mike Leigh, Luis Buñuel and Werner Herzog, though I'm more into Herzog as a maker of documentaries. I don't know if Michael Haneke warrants inclusion, but I've liked much of what I've seen. Over time Roman Polanski has made quite a few great films also, all the more interesting because like Kubrick and Scorsese, they manage to be both creative and mainstream. Akira Kurosawa and Federico Fellini were pretty consistent, too.

I think Joel and Ethan Coen will be on that list in a couple of years. Their films are getting consistently great. Also, as mainstream filmmakers go, I'll put in a plug for Clint Eastwood.

One other name to throw out there, from China: Jia Zhangke

Users who are viewing this thread

Back