Greatest Director in the History of Cinema
Feb 19, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #31 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by pcf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Others to stay away from: A.I.; The color purple....
If you have to watch Schindler's List, make sure you pause the DVD before it gets to the scene of Liam Neeson crying uncontrollably and spelling everything out.
But I do love Jaws and Indiana Jones.
regular_smile .gif

And Poltergeist!
That's my favourite Spielberg.

Others to stay away from: Jurassic Park and Munich (ugh)

He have made several good movies, I'll admit that, or at least entertaining movies, but in general they're all extremely shallow. Pure Hollywood

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:08 AM Post #32 of 85
Quote:

Others to stay away from: A.I.; The color purple....
If you have to watch Schindler's List, make sure you pause the DVD before it gets to the scene of Liam Neeson crying uncontrollably and spelling everything out.
But I do love Jaws and Indiana Jones.
regular_smile .gif

i rather enjoy AI, but i havent seen the color purple, though i did not like the book when i read it in high school..

Feb 19, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #33 of 85
Quote:

Alfred Hitchcock for me.

Me 9.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #34 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
can you guys please list some recommendations for kurosawa? i have heard of rashomon and seven samurai.

The Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
Ikiru
Yojimbo
Kegemusha
Ran

Watch these ones first in that order if you can and after that you can check his other movies.

Feb 19, 2010 at 5:18 PM Post #35 of 85
wali's recommendations are pretty much most of what I'd say. You can add Sanjuro to the mix too, probably. Also should point out that I think the title should be "Kagemusha".

If you have a pretty good grasp of Japanese culture, Akira Kurosawa's Dreams was quite enjoyable. It's a little bit of a mixed bag, however, because it's a series of shorts and it really does not try much to explain some of the cultural allusions that are in the stories, making it a little harder to approach.

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:24 PM Post #36 of 85
Certainly those are a group of great directors in the "classic" sense. None have directed films among my top 10 or even top 20 so I'd be hard pressed to choose among them. My list would be far more eclectic:

Wim Wenders
Paul Thomas Anderson
Jeunet/ Carot
Roy Andersson
Mike Leigh
Noah Baumbach
David Lynch
Jim Jarmusch
Terrance Mallick
Errol Morris

I'd much rather watch a film by any of these directors than by any director on the poll.

Feb 19, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Seven Samurai
Throne of Blood
Ikiru
Yojimbo
Kagemusha
Ran

Watch these ones first in that order if you can and after that you can check his other movies.

Also check out these wonderful films:

Red Beard
Stray Dog

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by craiglester /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of the modern directors I rather like David Fincher's work.

Speaking of modern directors, I sort of don't like how I wasn't able to include anyone who came to prominence over the past 3 decades. Would a "Greatest Director in Modern Cinema" poll be too redundant? I was thinking these might be the choices if ever:

Christopher Nolan
David Fincher
David Lynch
Hayao Miyazaki
Joel & Ethan Coen
Paul Thomas Anderson
Quentin Tarantino
Steven Spielberg
Wong Kar-wai
Woody Allen

Scorsese would easily qualify for this but he's already in the last one so there...

Feb 20, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by fuseboxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Speaking of modern directors, I sort of don't like how I wasn't able to include anyone who came to prominence over the past 3 decades. Would a "Greatest Director in Modern Cinema" poll be too redundant? I was thinking these might be the choices if ever:

Christopher Nolan
David Fincher
David Lynch
Hayao Miyazaki
Joel & Ethan Coen
Paul Thomas Anderson
Quentin Tarantino
Steven Spielberg
Wong Kar-wai
Woody Allen

Scorsese would easily qualify for this but he's already in the last one so there...

i also think that Guillermo del Toro should be included on that mondern list, if only because of Pan's Labyrinth

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also think that Guillermo del Toro should be included on that mondern list, if only because of Pan's Labyrinth

This is why I think these directors weren't on that list. The ones on the list have a complete body of films that they can be judged by and I think most of them are already departed, so they are finite lists. If Guillermo del Toro produces nothing but crap from here onward ... well ....

After the "Sixth Sense" I think everyone who have thrown M. Night onto their list, now.....

Feb 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #45 of 85
I think Bergman would be the director who's movies I would appriciate the most in total because I loved his style and that his movies were so subtle and poignant, but I voted on Kubrick because of his excellent record, and not only that but look at the diversity.

- Paths of glory, and Full metal jacket for warmovies
- 2001 for sci-fi
- Barry Lyndon for period/costume drama
- The Shining for horror
- Dr Strangelove for satire

And then Lolita, Spartacus, A clockwork Orange and Eyes wide shut in addition.

I can not think of any other director that made "so few movies" that has made a serious impact on so many genres, so in all the choice for me was easy on this one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back