Greatest Bass Playing...(acoustic/electric)
Mar 10, 2011 at 11:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 104

Syan25

Headphoneus Supremus
My Recommendations:

Any Stanley Clarke circa 1970-1982 - Return of Forever. School Days, Stanley Clarke - he does both acoustic and electric

Any Ron Carter on any jazz record...but for me - it's with the Miles Quintet...

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #2 of 104
Dave Holland
Charles Mingus
Danny Thompson
Phil Lesh
Jim Ferguson
Jaco Pastorius
Miroslav Vitous
Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen 

so many more and so diverse, too!

- Ed

Mar 10, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #7 of 104
What about Edgar Meyer? He is a genius though in a completely different way of playing - old albums he did in the 80's with RCA if I remember correctly which are no longer around - shame really - they were brilliant!

Mar 11, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 104
Another great album of bass playing:

David Izenzon - on Ornette Coleman Trio's At the Golden Circle...

Mar 12, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #12 of 104
      Michael Manring - Soliloquy (the album)

*Solo bass (fretless and more than a normal bass - to be spesific: the zon hyperbass)
*Superior technique
*Presents great journey through the album
*and the list goes on.

I do not post normally, I'm generally a reader. But I had to use this opportunity to share these pieces of art (tracks i mean).
Wrote those facts just to get you a little excited so I'm not revealing %100 of it. Just a great great album with sincere pieces of melodies.
Nothing on the album feels like it's there for just filling. Just original, organic pieces. I hope that as many people would listen to it.

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #14 of 104
…was looking for something else and came across this…is it just me, or is there sort of a resemblance between Jack and Beck Hansen?

Mar 12, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #15 of 104
Some solo bass performances I return to from time to time:
  1. Miroslav Vitous - Emergence - A soft-spoken album that came out around the time new age music became a genre, but there's a sense of struggle and challenge that elevates it above the usual sort of head-nodding noodliness. I have to qualify this - it's not a great album, it's an interesting failed experiment. As such, I prefer it to many safe successes.
  2. Victor Wooten - A Show of Hands - I feel weird about complaining that something's too playful, but that's about the case here. Wooten's showing off how all-over-the-place he can be. But when he's not indulging in virtuosic wankery, he's playing music that's compelling like you wouldn't believe.
  3. Rob Wasserman - Solos - The musicianship is excellent and the music is somewhat conservative. But new ground doesn't have to be broken at every step all the time, right?

Some bass solos on other albums:
  1. Jaco Pastorius' turns on Weather Report's 8:30 and Joni Mitchell's Shadows and Light - taking cues freely from a crazy-mad array of sources which all become Jaco's own, perfectly illustrating how good artists borrow and great artists steal.
  2. Charlie Haden's extended solo on "Two Folk Songs" from the album 80/81 by Pat Metheny - it still haunts me in my dreams from time to time, it was the melodic eye of a musical storm.

As far as bass as a part of the rhythm section, there are many good performers that other people are mentioning. So I want to highlight a lesser-known: Jane Dodd's work with The Verlaines. The early albums (especially Bird Dog) are nothing short of amazing specifically because of her contribution - nimble, melodic, involving, and working as a perfect complement to a band surging through pop songs with complex meters and changes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back