Great (state-of-the-art) IEM setup for home environment?
Apr 21, 2018 at 6:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello everyone.

Looking all-arounder IEM setup for music and movies. I would prefer best possible isolation and good comfort for multi-hour sessions.

• Source: a Linux machine.
  • DAC: I have one (Electrocompaniet ECD-1 which is on the warmer side) but new ones can be suggested.
  • Wireless setup? I have to say, I'm intrigued at the thought. I don't know what is possible from a linux setup, but wireless would certainly be nice.
While I've been listening to dynamic rigs for the last 8.5 years without upgradeitis, I'm interested in Shure KSE1500 setup, mainly because the stat sound has its benefits. Sadly it seems that KSE1500 is not a perfect setup. Nonremovable cable and nonremovable battery for a €2500 setup seems a bit inconvenient. These things are supposed to last 10 years! The battery is guaranteed to go dead in that time span.

Well it doesn't have to be KSE1500, in this case. I don't know if Bluetooth is a bad format for audiophiles but seems a bit strange it doesn't offer it.

Anyway, I'm looking for an absolute killer setup (IEMs + amp + wireless transport if applicable) for all kinds of music and also movies.

• My current rig offers lean but no-fat bass and just gorgeous, clear treble, and very nice dynamics. Would like to get the same properties in the IEMs. No boomy bass crap allowed! And I want some serious sparkle in the treble department. No early roll-offs please.
  • Customs or universal, same to me. I hear customs don't necessary offer the absolute best in sound isolation so they aren't a must for me. Then again, good comfort is a big plus.
  • Budget: let's go big. €3k will not be a problem, especially if the money goes more towards the amp (the more durable component of the rig, I imagine)
  • Again, all serious listening will happen on a linux machine, not on the phone.
  • I'd like to hear about your stories about great synergies.
  • PS. Doesn't have to be portable setups. If you know this great 15 lb tube amp that goes perfectly together with a Shure IEM, it's fair game. In this case I sure would require it'll work with a longer cord as well.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #2 of 3
nonremovable battery
theres not a whole lot of user removable battery stuff around

wireless transport
it's 2500 usd but you could go for a chord hugo 2, i believe it is bluetooth capable, but it isn't exactly small compact size for portable use.

you should check out this thread, the shoot out is not up to date anymore because a lot of companies announced entirely new lineups for this year, but it is a very good reference that you should definitely read through.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fli...al-high-end-portable-audio-discussion.826876/

as always, you should demo everything if you can. and you can ask directly on the thread for recommendations.

I hear customs don't necessary offer the absolute best in sound isolation so they aren't a must for me.

the benefit of customs is in both isolation and comfort. if you wanted a universal with similar levels of isolation, you'd have to use uncomfortably large foam tips which will also muffle the sound. if you want, i highly suggest going the custom route.

tube amps and iems tend not to mix, iems pick up a lot of noise.

I hope you find what you are looking for, I can't give any recommendations because I don't have much experience with the new releases. A lot of members on the shoot out thread have gone to canjam singapore and ny, so they have tried the new line ups, some have purchased things too. definitely go check it out

edit: what does the akg k1000 sound like?

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 3
I think I'll study current custom offerings with a close eye. The amps don't have to be portable although I suspect there are reasons why there are no 10 feet extension cords for IEMs. :wink:

edit: what does the akg k1000 sound like?

It's heaven. Unlike normal cans, with K1000 the music seems to materialize out of nowhere. It has been outpaced by most modern gear in resolving power, but it represents music to you like a piece of proper hifi gear. :) The bass is very lean and rolls off quickly, but there's plenty of quality with what you get. The midrange could be less recessed. The real prize lies in the high notes which are rendered with such sparkle, yet unfatiguingly. Very much the most speaker-like headphones you can buy.

(I'm interested about the MySphere 3, the spiritual successor to the K1000 but then again, in an urban environment I would greatly like the isolation.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back