Great sound with isolation?
Aug 28, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dogbane

Banned
I am absolutely blown away by the sound of my HD650s. Unfortunately, there are times when I am bothered by outside noise while listening to them. Is there something out there that offers sound of equivalent quality but also isolation?
Note: I have read that some of the high end "closed" headphones (such as D5000 and W5000) really don't isolate, even though they do sound great. I prefer the degree of isolation offered by studio cans, if that is possible.

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 9
How about building an isolation booth?
smily_headphones1.gif

FWIR, a closed Beyerdynamic would isolate well.

What sound card or other equipment are you plugging your HD650 into?

Aug 28, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #4 of 9
8.35D Monitors have superb isolation and I would be surprised if you wouldn´t preferr these over the HD 650 but then I am surprised quite often
wink.gif
Anyway it´s the cheapest headphone I could recommend to you. I haven´t heard any closed or open headphone in it´s price range being close to it. In fact it´s one of my all time favourites.

Beyers like DT 770 Pros are super comfortable and have almost as good isolation but for me is a clear downgrade in sound quality. I would certainly pick the Hd 650 over that. DT 880 marketed as semi closed I doubt isolate all that well correct me if I am wrong?

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sound card or other equipment are you plugging your HD650 into?

I started with an Onkyo CD changer and an Onkyo stereo receiver. I have upgraded the receiver to a Little Dot MKV (which arrives today-I am very excited!) I will eventually replace the changer with an entry-level audiophile CD player from the likes of NAD, Cambridge Audio, or Marantz.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I started with an Onkyo CD changer and an Onkyo stereo receiver. I have upgraded the receiver to a Little Dot MKV (which arrives today-I am very excited!) I will eventually replace the changer with an entry-level audiophile CD player from the likes of NAD, Cambridge Audio, or Marantz.

Playing with those new toys does sound like fun. It also may help your search if you make known your budget for buying these headphones.

Aug 28, 2009 at 8:55 PM Post #7 of 9
DT250 or good canalphones or Ultrasone HFI series : exactly which of these has the sound you want is for you to decide, but all will give you good isolation. Dont know how many have gone from open phones to closed and been entirely happy, but thats the best I can do.

Aug 28, 2009 at 9:01 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT250 or good canalphones or Ultrasone HFI series : exactly which of these has the sound you want is for you to decide, but all will give you good isolation. Dont know how many have gone from open phones to closed and been entirely happy, but thats the best I can do.

Some of the closed hps like the Ultrasones and the GMPs, sounds like an open design. Or even better.
smile.gif

Aug 31, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It also may help your search if you make known your budget for buying these headphones.

I suppose up to maybe $350-$400, though less would be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back