Great small speakers?
Sep 26, 2003 at 5:53 PM Post #46 of 55
A lot more, maybe yours was a much better choice, I have no doubt of that, but as "el cheapo" man I am, I always take into consideration the costs, as the returning, what is maybe 40.00 when you are expending 400.00, BTW if you do not have this option, and have to sell them becasue you do not like them, how much you will loose, speakers are not an R-10 that maybe you will sell it for the same amount, as otherwise there is a two months waiting period, most of the times you loose more on the reselling....I will give them a try, sooner or later, the reviews are very favorable for them.....

Sep 27, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #47 of 55
Sov, give the guy a break, he already bought speakers and doesn't need someone telling him he should have bought something else. He's happy with his purchase and doesn't give a rat's ass about what you think
tongue.gif

Sep 27, 2003 at 4:21 AM Post #48 of 55
lol, well anyhow I'm pretty sure that they're totally different beasts from the Totems.

Totems Arro:
http://www.totemacoustic.com/english...Stand_arro.jpg
height: 34
width: 5
depth: 7

Axiom mt60:
http://www.axiomaudio.com/img/prodpi...irGrillOff.jpg
height:37.5
width: 9.25
depth: 15

Also, generally speaking, I found that floorstanding speakers were on a step (or two!) below bookshelves in terms of clarity (detail).. For example, PSB, Energy, Dahlquist, were all nice sounding but weren't up to par with the smaller Totem Rokks in terms of precision (details you can hear, don't know the exact term...). Even higher priced floorstanding weren't as good! BUT, the bookshelves lacked the lower end, completeness of the floors.

The arro seemed like a good compromise between floorstanding and bookshelf, offering unbelievable (unbelievable is the right term: You don't believe it!!!) base for their size and the detail of the smaller Rokks. Still less base than lets say KEF's, Paradigm or Titus, but still, better than the Rokks and good enough for my taste and I'm sure my condo neighbours! Detailed, natural and neutral sound (not too much highs or lows), immersive, were all things I was looking for, which the Totems filled every need
cool.gif

So I don't think selling them is going to be a problem: They're mine and I'm keepin'em
tongue.gif
Hehehe, actually I took my time when shopping and found pretty much everything I was looking for in the Totems. A bit higher price than first planned but anyhow, no one will starve or will have to wear ragged clothing because of it
wink.gif

Besides, I think Sovkiller just wanted anoter opinion before he orders his pair of Axiom
tongue.gif
("I will give them a try" except maybe if he was talking about the totems?)

I think its a bit the loss of Axiom that they don't have any demos anywhere... they might have been really good, but I wasn't about to shell out ~50$ to demo a speaker... Plus the hassle of ordering, going to collect (I work during the day by bus/metro) it at the post office, repackage, go back to the post office to ship back, etc...

But just for the sake of discussion, anyone ever compared the Axioms to the Monitor Audio S6 or Totems?

Sep 27, 2003 at 5:10 PM Post #49 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by vrao81
Sov, give the guy a break, he already bought speakers and doesn't need someone telling him he should have bought something else. He's happy with his purchase and doesn't give a rat's ass about what you think
tongue.gif

That is true, but when I made this post, I have not read yet the whole thread and I have no idea of that he already had gotten the speakers, my fault, I'm too lazy to read the whole thread, but anyway as he "wisely" stated I was looking also for some feedback of the Axioms, is a way of talking man....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
BTW i think you are comapring a 3 way with a 2 way one, they have even an smaller ones that should be a more fair comparison, for good or bad...m40ti 490.00

M40BeechPairGrillOff.jpg
floorStand_arro.jpg

Sep 27, 2003 at 9:16 PM Post #50 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by GirgleMirt
I think its a bit the loss of Axiom that they don't have any demos anywhere... they might have been really good, but I wasn't about to shell out ~50$ to demo a speaker... Plus the hassle of ordering, going to collect (I work during the day by bus/metro) it at the post office, repackage, go back to the post office to ship back, etc...

FYI (and for Sov, too), if you visit the Axiom forums (http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/ubbthreads.php?Cat=), they have a thread where people have volunteered to host auditions of their own equipment to those interested. Here's the link to the thread itself, if you're interested:

Audition Axioms In Your Area

Oct 1, 2003 at 1:34 AM Post #52 of 55
Thanks but there is none on my area, NJ...the nearest is in Long Island, about two hours from here.....

Oct 1, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #53 of 55
I went to domes AV, and I had a quick listen to the new Studio 100 V.3s (paradigm), and they kick major ass, it feels like a subwoofer is being used even if it isn't, they are supreme, but alas, they look foul compared to the old ones, especially with that gaudy silver phase-plug type dust cap...it ruins the Paradigm's stern, calm look, they are $2200/pair, but I think they're well worth it, if their other studio models are like those, then they are the best things ever...well, besides the Nautilus 801s...hehe

They also have Totems there, and they look kinda strange, not having grilles and all, but I didn't get to listen to any
frown.gif

Oct 2, 2003 at 8:20 PM Post #54 of 55
yeah...funny how you didn't like the paradigm's? I can't recall ever reading a bad magazine review of them; particularly the reference series. hmph...but just goes to show you the "different strokes for different folks" cliche, and/or the effect of associated equipment and room acoustics and musical taste.

Oct 2, 2003 at 10:25 PM Post #55 of 55
They sounded nice, but I think the room was a little too sound-treated, and they sounded deader than usual, but I do think the V.2 model looked far suprerior than the new V.3, I explained why already, but They're designed to have the grilles on, so it doesn't really matter, you just don't get the stunning look like with nautilus 802s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back