Great Sealed Set of Cans for Under $300
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

kayodoc

New Head-Fier
Hey guys! I've been a long time reader of Head-Fi and decided to make an account as I need some assistance with a good set of sealed cans. My max budget is under $300 (preferably around $200) and I'm looking for a set of around-ear, closed back headphones that can provide good flattish sound quality, good isolation (little noise in: loud roommates, bus ride, plane, etc), and a detachable, or relatively short, cable. For reference as to what sound I like, I'm currently using a set of Goldring DR150s and LOVE their sound. Thanks in advance!

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #2 of 17
Soundmagic HP100 would be a great neutral-"ish" option. What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #3 of 17
I mostly listen to EDM, classical, and rock. Do the HP100 provide good sound isolation? I've also been looking at the Mad Dogs; but being at the top of my budget would like to consider other options before making the buy.

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #4 of 17
The HP100 and Mad Dog both provide great isolation, but you will need a hefty amp to drive the MD.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:05 AM Post #6 of 17
I'm not a big fan of IEMs which is why I'm looking for around ears. How do the DT770, AKG K550, and ATH M50s compare? I know they don't have detachable cables but would I be able to get them modified (and would it even be worth it?). I'm open to more suggestions though! :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 17
How would the Mad Dogs do unamped? I've been reading a lot and it seems pretty split with people on one side saying an amp is necessary and others saying it sounds great without an amp straight from a PC/iPhone.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #9 of 17
How would the Mad Dogs do unamped? I've been reading a lot and it seems pretty split with people on one side saying an amp is necessary and others saying it sounds great without an amp straight from a PC/iPhone.

They don't sound bad "unamped," but a good external amp really makes a huge difference. Maybe you should get the MD and, later, when funds allow, an amp.

Oct 30, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 17
I've tried the Momemtums at my local BestBuy and didn't really think they were worth the $350...though the yamaha pro 400/500 do seem enticing as they tick all the boxes. The Pro500 is actually the same price as the Pro400 right now on amazon ($300). Are they worth it? Also, which mobile amp is recommended for the Mad Dogs? It may not be a bad idea to get them now and save up for an amp later. I've noticed that the general consensus here is that the Mad Dogs are the best closed headphones in the $300 category...is this true or am I overlooking other great headphones at the price point? Thanks for all the responses! :)

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #11 of 17
The MD really is a great headphone. You would need something like a Fiio E12 to really do them justice, though.

Oct 30, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #12 of 17
Okay, so I've narrowed it down to two options: The AKG K550 with removable cable mod (BTG) or the Mad Dogs. I can get the AKGs for around $160 used (around $200 new) and the cable mod is about $40 I believe. So if I could get the AKGs with the cable mod for about $210, would they be the better set than the Mad Dogs without an amp or with the Fiio E11? How's the build quality on the Mad Dogs? I tried out the K550 at my local Best Buy in SD and the build quality was phenomenal.

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #13 of 17
Mad Dogs all the way. A very nice sounding headphone all the way around - and also very comfortable. I haven't heard the K550s, but I have heard the Q701, K701 & K240. I liked the Mad Dogs better. YMMV.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the amp. Try it without the amp, then take your time, save some money and watch the buy/sell forum for a deal on an amp. Or, just try something cheap like a Fiio E6 or a CMoy just to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't seem to make a difference for you, then you can go and enjoy your headphones. Don't let the "you have to have an amp" bug control your decision for the headphones. Listen for yourself. The reality is that a decent, but inexpensive amp that is properly driving good headphones will do MUCH more than a great amp driving mediocre headphones. People badmouth inexpensive amps because they bought a really cr@p amp like a Boostaroo, or they tried to drive hungry & completely inappropriate headphones with a small portable amp, or they put really cheap headphones on a decent amp and then complained it didn't make a difference. Try to drive a 300 Ohm 'phone off your iphone, then put a $30 Fiio amp in line, and you *will* hear a significant difference - even if it just in volume! :wink:

Oct 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #14 of 17
Mad Dogs all the way. A very nice sounding headphone all the way around - and also very comfortable. I haven't heard the K550s, but I have heard the Q701, K701 & K240. I liked the Mad Dogs better. YMMV.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the amp. Try it without the amp, then take your time, save some money and watch the buy/sell forum for a deal on an amp. Or, just try something cheap like a Fiio E6 or a CMoy just to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't seem to make a difference for you, then you can go and enjoy your headphones. Don't let the "you have to have an amp" bug control your decision for the headphones. Listen for yourself. The reality is that a decent, but inexpensive amp that is properly driving good headphones will do MUCH more than a great amp driving mediocre headphones. People badmouth inexpensive amps because they bought a really cr@p amp like a Boostaroo, or they tried to drive hungry & completely inappropriate headphones with a small portable amp, or they put really cheap headphones on a decent amp and then complained it didn't make a difference. Try to drive a 300 Ohm 'phone off your iphone, then put a $30 Fiio amp in line, and you *will* hear a significant difference - even if it just in volume! :wink:

Thanks for the advice! I'm leaning a lot more towards the Mad Dogs now.

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #15 of 17
Hey guys, so I've decided on the Mad dogs and am at the checkout. I wanted to know if you guys knew any coupon codes that I could use because there's an area where I can enter one. I hate sales tax -.- I was also wondering if he has the option for me to pick them up since I live in San Diego anyway. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Does MrSpeakers ever have winter/holiday promotions (ie. Black Friday, Christmas, etc)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back