Great rockers for car road trip
Aug 2, 2001 at 8:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

albau

500+ Head-Fier
Ok, so we (Gabi The Dog, Audi The Car and me) are taking no prisoners and going across America from NYC deep down South and then criss-cross to California. Naturally we'll need some great pumping and bashing muscle road music to compliment excitement and not to fall asleep. And I want your suggestions, folks!

Here're my few initial takes to burn on CDR's (in no particular order):
  1. Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild,
  2. Steppenwolf - Magic Carpet Ride,
  3. Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath,
  4. Jethro Tull - Aqualang,
  5. Deep Purple - Highway Star,
  6. Deep Purple - Stormbringer,
  7. Deep Purple - Fireball,
  8. Lynard Skynard - Sweet Home Alabama,
  9. Rolling Stones - Sympathy For The Devil,
  10. Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter,
  11. Led Zeppelin - Whole Lotta Love,
  12. Led Zeppelin - Immigrant Song,
  13. Jimmy Hendrix - House Burning,
  14. Black Sabbath - Paranoid,
  15. Black Sabbath - Children Of The Grave,
  16. Pink Floyd - Welcome To The Machine,
  17. Pink Floyd - Have A Cigar,
  18. Pink Floyd - next Brick In The Wall Part II,
  19. Pink Floyd - Not Now John,
  20. Roger Waters - Sexual Revolution,
  21. Roger Waters - What God Wants,
  22. Roger Waters - Bravery Being Out Of Range,
  23. CCR - Keep On Chugling,
  24. Grand Funk Railroad - We're An American Band,
  25. Mungo Jerry - Lovin' In The Alleys,
  26. ZZ Top - Tush,
  27. ZZ Top - Tube Snake Boogie,
  28. AC/DC - Stiff Upper Lip,
  29. Steely Dan - Try It Again [/list=1]

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, especially by Gabi The Dog
    smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2001 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 30
I'll have to give you my suggestions later, but I'm glad to see those first two. I just bought MCA's 20th Century Masters: The Millenium Collection Steppenwolf CD at CVS of all places for $10, I couldn't say no. Songs 1 and 2 on that CD are your 1 and 2, I put that disc in the CD player, roll down the windows and speed away, it's awesome.

Hmm, and as I look further down the list, wow, I love your taste in music, I own just about every one of those CDs. Jethro Tull is another great band to listen to while driving. I also got the MCA (see above) Lynyrd Skynyrd CD and track 1 is none other than Sweet Home Alabama.

Oh, okay, here are a few suggestions, you seem to have a lot of my favorites covered already:

George Thorogood: Bad to the Bone
One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer
I Drink Alone (I think that's what it's called)
If You Don't Start Drinking I'm gonna leave
(I'm not an alcoholic by the way
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Ozzy Osbourne: Crazy Train (This may be Black Sabbath, I forget)

How about some Tom Petty, Aerosmith, or Neil Young? I'll have to give you the specific songs later.

And while it doesn't really go with your other suggestions, the Fast and the Furious Soundtrack has some great songs on it for driving like Rolling' and some rap stuff that you probably wouldn't like.

Aug 2, 2001 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 30
grrr223 glad to hear that I'm not alone in my outdated rock tastes. Your suggestions are great. Btw, I'm not that old fashioned and listen to some current music but it's my beleive that few bands now produce this good old rockers that are engaging and fast and melodic at the same time. How one can get driving excitement listening to Radiohead?

Some more rockers that I missed 1st time:

Guess Who - American Woman
Lucinda Williams - It's Not Over
Gratefull Dead - Space Truckin'
Ten Years After - Goin' Home
Kinks - Lola
Jefferson Airplane - Somebody To Love
ELP - Show That Never Ends

I've noticed few rocking ladies. Suzie Quatro had some engaging tunes but I don't remeber song names. And Beatles, did they have real rockers except for Helter Skelter? Nah, don't think so, they were too melodic.

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 30
Doors - Roadhouse Blues
Violent Femmes - Add It Up
Violent Femmes - Gone Daddy Gone
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Jethro Tull - Locomotive Breath
Bachman, Turner, Overdrive (BTO) - Takin' Care of Business
Billy Idol - White Wedding
Billy Idol - Dancing With Myself
Cream - Crossroads
Cream - Sunshine of Your Love
George Thorogood - Who Do You Love
Humble Pie - I Don't Need No Doctor
Iggy Pop - Wild Child or Real Wild Child
Teenage Head - Teenage Beer Drinkin Party
B 52's - Rock Lobster
Mountain - Mississippi Queen
Bruce Springstein - Born To Run
Peter Gabriel - Shock The Monkey
Dandy Warhols - Bohemian Like You (questionable...but I like it)
Talking Heads - Life During Wartime

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 30
Albau, the Radiohead comment was the perfect example to use. I actually picked up Amnesiac for my drive to Boston over the fourth of July and there really aren't that many good songs on it, and most of them would put you to sleep. I know there are better Radiohead albums, but that one wasn't one of them.

Classic Rock is awesome, I've been copying all of my parents CDs since I bought a burner last weekend, and so I've been listening to tons of 70s and 80s rock at work lately, and it's great, even stuff I'm not really familiar with still sounds better than if I turn on the radio to the latest Top 40 station.

My goal at the moment is to get my younger brother out of his gangsta rap phase and begin enjoying some good music.

I also love to drive to classical stuff like Carmina Burana, the Gladiator Soundtrack, or even Metallica's S&M (but those weren't the kinds of things you were asking about). I know exactly what you mean by wanting some "Great Rockers". I love to drive by myself because I don't have to appease my passenger's taste in music or even desire to close the windows or turn it down.

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 30
Mbriant, How could I ever forget White Wedding? I will always remember that song. I went to go visit colleges for a week. I had set up visits at Columbia, Brown, MIT and Cornell, and my parents gave me the keys to their car, their cell phone and credit card, and off I went on a 1500 mile road trip all by myself. My first experience at true freedom, and the tape that happened to be in the car was Billy Idol, and off I went blasting White Wedding as I got from Philly to NYC in a little over 90 minutes.

You've gotta be careful what you're listening to while you drive, you could get yourself a speeding ticket and never even realize how fast you were going just because you were enjoying yourself so much.

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 30
Now where's napster when you need it
smily_headphones1.gif
? Although I do own the majority of those albums, I think i'll be making myself some CDs when I get home from work.

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 30
AC/DC - Thunderstruck
Bob Seager - Betty Lou's Getting Out Tonight
BTO - What I Like About You
Dire Straits - Heavy Fuel
ELO - Roll Over Beethovan
Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Welcome to the Pleasuredome
Max Webster - Hangover
PJ Harvey - Long Snake Moan
Vapours - Turning Japanese

and for when you're nearing California.....

Wall of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:49 PM Post #11 of 30
Thanks for reminding about Doors and Bruce. Some more:
  1. Doors - Break On Thru, Light My Fire
  2. Bruce Springsteen - Murder Incorporated
  3. Queen - Another One Bite The Dust
  4. Bob Dylan - Hurricane
  5. Joe Cocker - Summer In The City
  6. Alice Cooper - Million Dollar Babies
  7. Ten Years After - Rock And Roll Music To The World
  8. Chuck Berry - Roll Over Beethoven ("...and tell Chaikovsky the news", I love this)
  9. Pink Floyd - Money (how did I forget this one?
    confused.gif
    )
  10. Dire Straits - I Want My MTV (or whatever the name), Calling Elvis (live version)
  11. Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man, Paint It Black

There's some classical and jazz stuff good for driving enjoyment (think Wagner and Dave Brubeck, for example) but here I'm interested mostly in rock and blues stuff.

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #13 of 30
Mbriant, do you read my mind or something...
I was about to recommend about 75% of these. Basically combined with Albau's initial list these make the perfect driving compilation. I'd add some more simple classical rock'n roll like

Kiss: Hotther Than Hell
Joan Jett: Little drummer boy
The Police: Message in a bottle

For me driving music should be fairly unengaging but fresh and keeping you allert, you would'n like to to have your attention too much on the music.
Besides, Albau, have a nice trip.

Aug 2, 2001 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 30
blr: There's no trick to it. Classics are classics.

For wide open hiway listening I like music that makes you bounce up and down in your seat.

And of course, if it happens to be raining while you're driving, you can always put on the Doors' "Riders on the Storm"..... like every radio DJ has been doing since the song first came out. I've won money betting people in the car with me during a rainstorm that one of the local rock stations will play "Riders" within 10 minutes.

Damn....almost forgot Golden Earring - Radar Love

and I forget who does this one...." Crazy 'bout a Mercury".....Gonna buy me a Mercury and cruise it up and down the road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back