Great Rock Albums!
Nov 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #91 of 114
  Same here. Back in my 7th grades I had 2 other friends and we would borrow CDs, rip them into mp3 and put the songs on random with Winamp or Jetaudio. That were how we became fans of Led Zepplein, Guns n' Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, Scorpions & Iron Maidens

Singular - Bruce Dickinson and the gang
Plural - the all-lady cover band

wink.gif
They rock too - missed them when they played in Long Beach as I drove up to San Francisco on that weekend but I managed to catch another band there anyway.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #92 of 114
  Same here. Back in my 7th grades I had 2 other friends and we would borrow CDs, rip them into mp3 and put the songs on random with Winamp or Jetaudio. That were how we became fans of Led Zepplein, Guns n' Roses, Metallica, Nirvana, Scorpions & Iron Maidens. 

I'm in 10th grade and my friends and I do the same thing. I'm the supplier of most CDs, but I we share music through CDs, thumb drives, etc, trading stuff back and forth. They rip stuff in mp3s I think, so I buy the CD if I like what they share with me.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #93 of 114
  I'm in 10th grade and my friends and I do the same thing. I'm the supplier of most CDs, but I we share music through CDs, thumb drives, etc, trading stuff back and forth. They rip stuff in mp3s I think, so I buy the CD if I like what they share with me.

I did basically the same thing around 7th grade or so in the mid 1980's which meant mixed tapes though I was also was into complete albums.  The more things change the more they stay the same including the recording industry's view of the practice:

Never mind the fact that once I had the means a few years later I left my tape dubbing days behind and bought hundreds of CDs...

Nov 24, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #95 of 114
  I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't really have a favorite album. I prefer to listen to my single favorite songs of a genre in a playlist, not full albums from the same artist. I really only listen to full albums from The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin and Nirvana, though these aren't necessarily my absolute favorite bands (Zeppelin and The Beatles are very high up though). From these, albums I listen to in full and recommend include The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road, Revolver, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side Of The Moon, Full Moon Fever, Nevermind, and In Utero. 

I find that especially with Pink Floyd, each album is an entire work of art like a painting and I can't just pick and choose songs into a play list. 
redface.gif

That said, I'm impressed that someone in the 10th grade would have such amazing taste in music! 

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #96 of 114

I find that especially with Pink Floyd, each album is an entire work of art like a painting and I can't just pick and choose songs into a play list. 
redface.gif

That said, I'm impressed that someone in the 10th grade would have such amazing taste in music! 

I feel the same way. I will only very occasionally pick out a song from a Pink Floyd album, I'll almost always listen to it from start to end (unusual for me). With The Beatles, it's similar, but I do frequently listen to single songs. I don't usually listen to The Beatles on the go though, and prefer to listen to the records when I'm at home and it's quiet. 

My dad brought me up listening to AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, etc. All the classic rock. The first rock song I remember loving was "The Ballroom Blitz" by The Sweet. I started to branch out into more rock (alternative, progressive, punk) and metal a couple years ago, and now listen to almost anything that could be considered rock (more picky about metal). I still do and will always love classic rock, and was actually planning on listening to AC/DC on the bus and Pink Floyd during my study hall.

Nov 25, 2014 at 5:59 AM Post #97 of 114

I don't know about anyone else here, but I don't really have a favorite album. I prefer to listen to my single favorite songs of a genre in a playlist, not full albums from the same artist. I really only listen to full albums from The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Tom Petty, Led Zeppelin and Nirvana, though these aren't necessarily my absolute favorite bands (Zeppelin and The Beatles are very high up though). From these, albums I listen to in full and recommend include The White Album, Sgt. Pepper's, Abbey Road, Revolver, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side Of The Moon, Full Moon Fever, Nevermind, and In Utero. 

redface.gif

+1.....I agree 100% Peter.

I am also very impressed that for someone in 10th grade has these great taste in music.

redface.gif

I feel the same way. I will only very occasionally pick out a song from a Pink Floyd album, I'll almost always listen to it from start to end (unusual for me). With The Beatles, it's similar, but I do frequently listen to single songs. I don't usually listen to The Beatles on the go though, and prefer to listen to the records when I'm at home and it's quiet. 

My dad brought me up listening to AC/DC, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Metallica, etc. All the classic rock. The first rock song I remember loving was "The Ballroom Blitz" by The Sweet. I started to branch out into more rock (alternative, progressive, punk) and metal a couple years ago, and now listen to almost anything that could be considered rock (more picky about metal). I still do and will always love classic rock, and was actually planning on listening to AC/DC on the bus and Pink Floyd during my study hall.

This sounds so much like my son and I.   I am so glad to see young people listening to this wonderful music.

He was raised listening to Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and the same type of music that you were listening to with your , father.

This past weekend my son and I went to see Joe Bonamassa...for the most part, the crowd was forty's and over......my son had a blast and just loves hearing Bonamassa play.

I can highly suggest him if you have never listened to him...if you ever get the chance to see him...you will not be sorry.....he is just incredible to watch....many wow moments.

Here are a few pics.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #98 of 114
This is a great thread. Thanks @MacedonianHero 

There is great sale of MP3 albums by Microsoft through their xbox live music access. There is 100 free albums and also there are great albums under $2...for example I picked up the complete Led Zeppelin collection (165 songs total).

All you need is a win8 PC (I am using my laptop with Win 8 to download all of this) or windows phone.

Go here for more information.

http://slickdeals.net/f/7418606-xbox-music-deals-app-100-various-artist-albums-avicii-linkin-park-more-free-windows-8-or-smartphone-required 

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #100 of 114
I have to thank you guys for this thread, it lead me to a total classic Rock Revival 

I've been enjoying,

The Eagles  Hotel California, One of These Knights
I grew up listening to the eagles, and my gawd... they are really good! 

Santana Caravanserai
like one of my new favorite albums ever... it's so post modern and just awesome!

Albert King Born Under a Bad Sign
classic blues and the inspiration for a lot modern rock 

just a small list thus far, more to come

but thanks to you guys for starting the thread! 

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:24 AM Post #101 of 114
I have to thank you guys for this thread, it lead me to a total classic Rock Revival 

I've been enjoying,

Santana Caravanserai
like one of my new favorite albums ever... it's so post modern and just awesome!

+1. All are excellent albums!

Nov 26, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #102 of 114
I find that especially with Pink Floyd, each album is an entire work of art like a painting and I can't just pick and choose songs into a play list. :xf_eek:  

Yes, that is true of some albums. I've used the rip as one feature of dBPoweramp to create a single file that included multiple songs from certain albums. DSotM was one. Then I can still use shuffle mode.

Nov 26, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #103 of 114
Over the holidays I usually visit family who have a really nice record store near them. The records are a little overpriced but they're all in good condition and there are some great ones there. Fortunately, they give me money for Christmas and I might be getting a USB Turntable (AT-LP60USB). Might grab a Pink Floyd, AC/DC, or Led Zeppelin album while I'm there. From AC/DC, some great albums:
  1. High Voltage
  2. Highway to Hell
  3. Back In Black
  4. Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap
  5. AC/DC Live [Collector's Edition]
  6. The Razor's Edge

Pink Floyd:
  1. Wish You Were Here
  2. DSotM
  3. Meddle
  4. The Wall

Led Zeppelin:
  1. All of them

Dec 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM Post #105 of 114

I've been enjoying,

Santana Caravanserai

albert king is just awesome....love born under a bad sign and i recently just bought I'll play the blues for you.....great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back