Great Resources for Beginners!
Jan 16, 2009 at 12:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ledzepberkeley

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I am very new to head-fi as well as hi-fi in general, and all I can say is that I am becoming frighteningly addicted to experiencing and enjoying the best sonic bliss I can get my hands on ever since discovering this website
smily_headphones1.gif
I recently used this site to do research and bought myself a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 ohm, and seeing as my laptop onboard sound just seem to cut it (please feel free to correct me if it does, as I am VERY new), I am considering purchasing an iBasso D2 Boa. Any thoughts/recommendations on this?

Anyways, I just wanted to share two resources that I found very useful/educational, especially for people just beginning to understand and fully appreciate a new level of musical indulgence. Hope you learn something new!

Good for basics, covers EVERYTHING, good place to start at the top, then do further research for more specific things!
GeekTech: The Geek Gets Serious About Audio

About stand-alone DACs vs. computer DACs
Need come clarification - External Audio Interfaces vs Internal cards - Sharky Forums

About DACs and amps, and this site has further links to even more great resources!
HiFi headphone review featuring Airhead and Bithead amplifiers: Page 1

About computer sound cards:
Howstuffworks "How Sound Cards Work"

Just a good song!
YouTube - Fingathing - You Fly Me

Namaste!

Jan 16, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 15
Great post, and a nice way to enter this community.
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Jan 19, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 15
Does anyone have any recommendations for an amp/dac that is less than $200? I'm thinking the Nuforce Icon Mobile or the iBasso D2 Boa. Any thoughts? Also, would having an amp/dac improve the SQ by that much?

Jan 20, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 15
imo, the laptop onboard soundcard in most is perhaps the worst source of audio anyone can have.

if u buy d2 boa..u ll notice a very obvious jump in sound coming out of it..it is also a headphone amp so it ll also drive your h'fones better.
of course its portable so its not a very powerful amp but for a laptop dac..it is a highly recommended purchase and its priced reasonably.

Jan 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 15
Ok, now I'm shopping for an amp that is less than $200, I've come up with the iBasso D2 Boa's, and the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Any thoughts on this anyone? I would love to drive my DT 770s to their full potential...

Jan 21, 2009 at 10:38 PM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok, now I'm shopping for an amp that is less than $200, I've come up with the iBasso D2 Boa's, and the Nuforce Icon Mobile. Any thoughts on this anyone? I would love to drive my DT 770s to their full potential...

Chirp.....chirp.....

This will not drive your hps to their full potential. Don't set such a high standard and you may be able to control the drug that is high end audio.

Full sized hps need more power than a battery can muster. Depending on how quiet the amp is, the background should be quieter and details can be heard with less volume.

The dac will make a noticable improvement because the conversion to analog is done in a cleaner environment, outside the computer.

A good place to start for your budget. Go to a meet (see meets forum) to see what can be put together. There are rocket scientists here and you couldn't conceive of the systems they have come up with.

Great to share a hobby with gear heads.

Jan 21, 2009 at 11:22 PM Post #8 of 15
Ah, thanks for the advice. I guess until I graduate and get a legit job I'll stick with the portable amps as I think the amp/dac will bring out a lot of the potential of the full-sized headphones, even if it's not 100%

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This will not drive your hps to their full potential. Don't set such a high standard and you may be able to control the drug that is high end audio.

Full sized hps need more power than a battery can muster.

That depends.....

The 80ohm DT880 Pro (sensitivity 98db) and with max power handling of 100mw will be dead easy to drive to hearing damaging levels - many battery powered amps will power these perfectly well and have headroom to spare.

P = VI
V = IR

P = I^2 R

.1 = .00125 x 80

I ^ 2 = 0.00125 , I = 0.035A = 35mA

V = P/I

V = .1/.035 = 2.86V

and you do not want to put 100mw though these unless you are stone deaf.

Jan 22, 2009 at 4:56 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick_charles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- many battery powered amps will power these perfectly well and have headroom to spare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ledzepberkeley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice technical post, not familiar with those numbers but I'll trust your opinion. So the Nuforce it is?

Many does not sadly mean all I am afraid

Technical Details

* Power output: 80mW x 2 @ 16-Ohm

P = I^ 2 R

.08W = I ^ 2 x 16
I^ 2 = .08/16 = 0.005

I = sqrt 0.005 = ~ 0.07 = 70mA

V = I R

V = .07 x 16

V = 1.12 V

P = VI = 1.12 x .07 = ~ 80mW (rounded)

V = IR
I = V/R as the impedance goes up the current goes down, but since P =VI the power into 80 ohms is less than the power into 16 ohms. My rough calculation is about 16mW

Technically this will not drive the DT880-80 to their full capacity but it should provide enough power for sensible listening. At full whack these headphones will deliver over
120db.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #13 of 15
Wow, well I think that anything over 90-100 db of listening especially when the drivers are placed in closed cans right next to the ears will lead to ear damage and isn't even pleasant to listen to. Thanks for all the advice, I ordered the Nuforce Icon Mobile and if people want I'll post my impressions. Can't wait to hear the DAC/amp!

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #14 of 15
For a portable amp/dac > $200, you could try the Leckerton Audio UHA-3
(Leckerton Audio - Home). Not a lot of users of this unit here. I enjoy mine. Do some research here - there is a ton on amp/dac combos in general, and a little on the Leckerton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back