Great Rap
Dec 28, 2001 at 10:12 AM Post #31 of 40
Quote:

I listen to a lot of the original artists for the lyrical content: Rakim, EPMD, Public Enemy, Def Squad, Notorious B.I.G., Naughty By Nature, there's more but I don't listen to old school very often anymore...

Not to be too anal, but Notorious B.I.G. and Naughty By Nature aren't really old school
wink.gif

Dec 28, 2001 at 10:27 PM Post #32 of 40
Hmm I haven't seen much about Tupac in this thread. I like his older stuff before he really went big. He had a lot of talent. Also Notorious B.I.G. had a ton of talent. I wonder what rap would be like if both of those guys were still around.

Dec 29, 2001 at 3:04 AM Post #33 of 40
Some of my favorite rappers/groups

Del the Funkee Homosapien
Kool Kieth
Mos Def
Blackalicious
Jurassic 5
Ozomatli
Talib Kweli
Common

Dec 29, 2001 at 7:13 AM Post #34 of 40
You guys are awesome. I thought I was one of the only people in Head-Fi that likes rap and hip hop music.
Oh and all of you guys have great taste. I just took your advice and d/l'ed two albums: "Mos Def - Black on Both Sides" and "De La Soul - AOI : Bionix "
Great stuff, thanks for the recommendations.

Personally, my top faves are:
Ja Rule
Xzibit
Outkast
De La Soul (since yesterday - thanks for the recommendation BenG!)
2pac
Jinusean (Korean rap)
Slimm Calhoun

I also like:
Black Eyed Peas
Black Rob
Cee-Lo
D'Angelo
Dungeon Family
(some) Eminem
Goodie Mob
John Reuben
K2S
Kurupt
Moka Only
Nate Dogg
Snoop Dogg
Swollen Members
Tha Dogg Pound

Dec 29, 2001 at 11:32 AM Post #35 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by sapphiremodena
De La Soul (since yesterday - thanks for the recommendation BenG!)

I was also referring to some of the older stuff like "Stakes Is High" and "Ballon Mindset"

You should've seen the video for one of the singles of "Bionix" . The members are dressed up as Wizard of Oz characters, and Busta Rhymes is the Wizard - some funny ****.

That new Busta Rhymes video where he head-butts a ram is pretty amusing too. "You wanna ram with me?"

Dec 29, 2001 at 7:21 PM Post #36 of 40
i <3 rap but not that commercial crap these days except outkast.. yay for outkast..

as for massive attack.. im a huge fan.. trip hop is based on hip hop beats so i think its ok to say massive attack is someones favorite hip hop group.. mezzanine is great and prob their best but blue lines(their first lp) is one of the most important albums of the 90's .. people say they invented trip hop.. and massive attack grew out of a hip hop group "the wild bunch" out of bristol..

Daddy g "addy daddy g wild bunch crew at large" - [five man army]

especially in blue lines its definitely more hip hop than mezzanine..
more rhyming including tricky who's amazing on blue lines.. it was cool cos massive attack released blue lines while west coast gangsta rap was the fad and it was such a huge thing at the time.. its a classic.. unfinished sympathy is an instant classic..

mezzanine is what theyve progressed too.. mezzanine i dont think is very hip hop.. but its AWESOME.. the whole album is good but Inertia Creeps is my favorite..

uhm as for other hip hop stuff.. someone had a top 5 list.. please take out eminem and put jay z's reasonable doubt ;x
jk its ur list.. ur opinions rock! even if people dont agree..

some of my favorite rappers... big L, arrested development, outkast, biggie, and then its jus songs cos i dont like many artists.. i hear awesome things bout atmosphere tho..

rap is an artform i totally believe that.. but only when its used the right way.. not talking bout bitches and gats and hoez.. it can be such a powerful tool when used in a real way.. i mean who cares how many diamonds jay z has.. i get offended.. hes basically saying "u buy cds i buy diamonds" we make him rich so he can spend money on "Ice" :/ i mean no question his lyrics are on point but i dunno

i could take the time to discover good rap groups.. underground stuff but im not really dedicated enough to the genre..

also if u like massive attack you might like portishead .. also from bristol.. theyre awesome too.. they have a lead singer tho beth gibbons.. its cool sorry its long again - referrin to the post :/

Dec 30, 2001 at 8:38 PM Post #38 of 40
Quote:

Originally posted by rickcr42
Does Curtis Blow qualify ?

LOL! I haven't heard Curtis Blow in ages, Rick! "Basketball"
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2001 at 3:38 AM Post #40 of 40
hehe,curtis blow,glad someone else here has heard of one of the originals.
BASKETBALL ! CLASSIC !
was/is kinda fun to listen to,unlike some of the lyrics from wu tang clan (yes I do own wu tang clan) which can be a bit uncomfortable at times.
A bit over the top ,especially played out loud when the little ricks are around
I do enjoy the wit of ice-T though.Rough edge at times also but brilliant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back