Great jazz albums NOT by all-time jazz giants
Aug 24, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
hehe...he said NOT by all-time jazz giants...
tongue.gif

I think Mr. Montgomery definitely qualifies...
icon10.gif

Peace,

Graz

True, but Wes was not on the OP's list of 22 artists.

As long as we're on the subject of jazz guitar, here are some albums that come to mind:

The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery - a classic album, and an essential in any jazz guitar collection, if not any jazz collection, period.

The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow - Tal in a trio with piano and bass, no drums.

The Genius of the Electric Guitar - Charlie Christian - Christian was a pioneer in his day, and one of the first to make the guitar into a soloing instrument. Christian's playing sounds very "inside" by modern standards, but Christian was a big influence on later players like Wes Montgomery, and this album is worth it for its historical perspective.

If you're interested in solo jazz guitar:

Virtuoso - Joe Pass - Joe Pass set the standard by which all subsequent solo jazz guitarists were judged, and this is his seminal recording. It's called Virtuoso for a reason.

Solo - Jimmy Bruno - this album was just released a few months ago. Jimmy Bruno is exceptionally talented. He has amazingly fast chops, but he also has the ability to put together very tasteful and delicate lines. The virtuostic solo version of Clifford Brown's "Joyspring" is worth the price of the CD by itself.

Aug 24, 2005 at 4:36 AM Post #32 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graz
hehe...he said NOT by all-time jazz giants...
tongue.gif

I think Mr. Montgomery definitely qualifies...
icon10.gif

Peace,

Graz

Wes Montgomery the jazz guitarist is definitely a giant; however, you'll notice that my originaly post says Wes Montr omery. Mr. Montromery with an 'r' is a lesser-known jazz kazooist who named his album "Full House" because it was his favorite hand in poker -- God knows he couldn't pack any venue
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
Wes Montgomery the jazz guitarist is definitely a giant; however, you'll notice that my originaly post says Wes Montr omery. Mr. Montromery with an 'r' is a lesser-known jazz kazooist who named his album "Full House" because it was his favorite hand in poker -- God knows he couldn't pack any venue
biggrin.gif

How could I have forgotten...dude totally does jam on the kazoo. If we could put him & mouth-harp legend Miles Dabis in the same band together...yikes, that would be legendary.
tongue.gif

I'm also a big jazz guitar fan... Scofield & Metheny would be at the top of my faves list.

Some more lesser known jazz guitarists worth highlighting here:

Kurt Rosenwinkel...I have most of his stuff & it's all excellent, but check out a release called "The Next Step"...some really smokin' modern bebop.

Also...
Mike Stern - "Upside Downside" & "Time in Place"

Peace,

Graz

Aug 24, 2005 at 6:22 AM Post #34 of 43
Ooh, I like this jazz guitar twist. I'll add to it "Mark Whitfield - 7th Ave. Stroll"

This was a great idea for a thread, BTW.

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:20 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
Jimmy Smith - Damn!

jimmy smith, no doubt. although i'd pick one of his older albums, like The Sermon, House Party, or the brilliant (and brilliantly recorded) live album Root Down!.

Aug 25, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #36 of 43
Some of my faves from the 60s/70s...
Alice Coltrane Ptah the El Daoud or her collection Astral Meditations - in her husbands shadow, undoubtedly, but mostly a fine artist IMHO. Almost anything by the great Pharoah Sanders (love the tone of his horn), especially Karma and the Let us go into the House of the Lord track.

More up to date:
The Pharoahs (no relation)....such a cool outfit, I have two CDs, the names of which totally escape me (writing this @ work!) One is Up from the Basement or similar. They can swing with modern jazz and some almost RnB numbers. Latin/jazz/rock: Flora Purim Open Your Eyes You Can Fly -superb mix of all three elements.

Great stuff

steviebee

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #37 of 43
How could i forget Eric Dolphy?

ornette coleman gets most of the credit as the father of free jazz, but if dolphy had lived, i think his legacy would have surpassed coleman's.

start with Out to Lunch...

puts a smile on my face every time i listen to it.

Aug 25, 2005 at 2:59 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
How could i forget Eric Dolphy...ornette coleman

Two top recommendations -but surely they are utter jazz giants -at least in my ears!

One out & out controversial modern classic is the 'jazz opera' Escalator Over the Hill by Carla Bley etc. A stone classic that still intrigues/infuriates....and a vote for bassists Charlie Haden (Music Liberation Orchestra is the album I know best...) and Sirone, Live...

............... I'll shut up before I get all carried away
wink.gif

steviebee

Aug 25, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #40 of 43
Thw two "wheelchair" albums by Frank Zappa - Waka Jawaka & The Grand Wazoo.

Aug 28, 2005 at 8:14 AM Post #42 of 43
bill evans..sunday at the village vanguard. (i hope this hasnt been posted yet im too lazy to check)
bill evans is great but it is scott lafaro's bass playing that makes this my favourite jazz album ...personally i think it is the heaviest, beautiful, and most intense bass ever recorded.

Aug 29, 2005 at 2:18 AM Post #43 of 43
For the avante-garde minded, here's a "classic:" John Zorn - Naked City

and here's a more, shall we say, mild one: John Zorn - Bar Kokhba

and then for that Space-Jazz sound, Sun Ra - The Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Vol. 1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back