Great Headphones ~$150 - $200
Jul 7, 2011 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mooshimuushi

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I've been looking for a pair of headphones for a very long time. 
My budget use to be ~$50, but now I am now allowed to go around $150-200.

I've been searching around lately, and I have already knew some very good pair of headphones. E.g

1. ATH-M50
2. Grado SR-80/Alessandro MS1
3. Shure SRH440/840

and many more!

But I wanted to know what other headphones I should look around for. 

Type of Music: Jazz (John Coltrane), Rock (Wolfmother/ACDC), Ambiance (Sigur Ros), Alternative (Radiohead/Bloc Party)

Source: Laptop/iPod Touch 4G

Anyway other headphones I should know?

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 8
There is a button on the top called search : )
As these kinda question has been answered countless times. 
There is also a thread about buying a new head phone which i believe you can find in this section or just search about" buying headphone" or something like that

Jul 7, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
There is a button on the top called search : )
As these kinda question has been answered countless times. 
There is also a thread about buying a new head phone which i believe you can find in this section or just search about" buying headphone" or something like that

Sorry about that, but I have. Most of the answers are all the same. 

M50's, Grado's/Alessandro's, DT 770's. Aren't there any other headphones which are also great? What about the AKG's and others? Aren't there any other brands than the ones that are all mainstreams (in a way)?

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 8
Just wondering, are u planing to getting an amp?

But based on your genre of music, the Grados do seem to fit your taste with so much detail

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
Just wondering, are u planing to getting an amp?

But based on your genre of music, the Grados do seem to fit your taste with so much detail

Ahaha, that's a tiny little problem. AMP/DAC. I'm thinking on getting some cheap good amp/dac as well. I thought of the Fiio E7/E9 Combo, but I haven't asked or read much about Amps, so. . .fine. I'm a virgin at amp/dacs. 

Any suggestions for cheap amps and dacs? (or should I keep that for the amp section?)

About the Grados. Yeah, I might as well jump for it :D
But there's this tiny dilemma about the Sr80i and the MS-1. *sigh*

Jul 7, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 8
I think the tread I mentioned is right on top of this section they give out very detailed comparison.
I can tell you right now and most people would tell you the same.
For closed ones? Shure 840/940 M50( try to get them under $100 other wise forget about em ) Audio Technica A700/900. ( frankly they all pretty much the same..... either way you won't regret) I know someone would give you the more bassy Ultrastone HPS, but i never been a fan of them nor the grado. Not a fun of AKG either. The phones you mentioned that every one was talking about has its reason. The first two SHure/M50 offer a rather neutral sound which it's not a bad thing. You probably don't even have much clue about the idea of neutral, so don't worry about it. Just go for em, I talk my friend into a M50 he love it like it's his new gf. I would say these are your safest bet. 

For an Open back which will have leakage problem. Sennheiser 555/598 are my choice( IMO, getting 595 or 558 is pointless). You can't be disappoint although the 598/555 are all kinda bass lite. It dose not means there is no bass, just not banging you head much. ) 

HD555 is my first Audiophile HP, It's the biggest wow i got ever since I step in this hobby. 

On a side note, if you have around $200 getting a Denon D2000 it's also a good idea, plenty of bass and fun to listen. Can be upgrade to something close to D5000 later. Don't need an amp. 

Last words get used ones if you can. Just change the ear pad if they are worn. 

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #7 of 8

Quote:
I think the tread I mentioned is right on top of this section they give out very detailed comparison.
I can tell you right now and most people would tell you the same.
For closed ones? Shure 840/940 M50( try to get them under $100 other wise forget about em ) Audio Technica A700/900. ( frankly they all pretty much the same..... either way you won't regret) I know someone would give you the more bassy Ultrastone HPS, but i never been a fan of them nor the grado. Not a fun of AKG either. The phones you mentioned that every one was talking about has its reason. The first two SHure/M50 offer a rather neutral sound which it's not a bad thing. You probably don't even have much clue about the idea of neutral, so don't worry about it. Just go for em, I talk my friend into a M50 he love it like it's his new gf. I would say these are your safest bet. 

For an Open back which will have leakage problem. Sennheiser 555/598 are my choice( IMO, getting 595 or 558 is pointless). You can't be disappoint although the 598/555 are all kinda bass lite. It dose not means there is no bass, just not banging you head much. ) 

HD555 is my first Audiophile HP, It's the biggest wow i got ever since I step in this hobby. 

On a side note, if you have around $200 getting a Denon D2000 it's also a good idea, plenty of bass and fun to listen. Can be upgrade to something close to D5000 later. Don't need an amp. 

Last words get used ones if you can. Just change the ear pad if they are worn. 

Now that is one big/great summary 
biggrin.gif

Thank you for that!

I'm thinking on getting the Alessandro MS1i. Why?

The Alessandro people have said that the MS1i is a modded version of the SR125. Also in reviews people have said that it is great all rounder (which my music genre is!). So I hope this would be the best cans to step into the world of Head-Fi :D

I'll also/might be buying an AMP to go with it so if I still have money, I might tackle down a pair of closed headphones for portable use :D 

Jul 9, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 8
It's not like the AKG/Ultrastone/Grado won't make decent product. In fact Grado's entry to mid-fi level head phones can offer rather good value and unique sound signature. However it's rather small sound stage, forward presentation and brightness it's just unbearable on a lot of songs and after the GS1000 it seems like Grado just dosen't have much more to offer.. AKG701 is awesome headphone at $250, you hardly find anything else that is better in terms of tech attributes. However it requires an amp that could costs your 5 times than itself.. just to properly drive em. HD650 at $330( new ) can sound just as good on an entry level amp and also has the potential of scale on better amp. The Ultrastone always has its fame among the bass heads. It excels in Electronics but that's about it. It's sound signature is a bit wayyy back tilted, again most of them are closed design in which case I think most likely would be inferior to the open design at its class. I'm not a bass head my self neither a electronic frenzy so Ultrastone it's not really my cup of tea. Besides, their flagships it's way over priced, I think they were the reason why Sennheiser raised the HD800 MSRP lol 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back