"Great Expectations" by Charles Dickens
Dec 13, 2006 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

exX08

500+ Head-Fier
I am currently reading this is my English class and I find it very good. I'm not gonna lie I really don't like to read but I don't mind this. Anyone els like this book?

Dec 13, 2006 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 22
I remember reading it during my sophmore year. It was okay, but I forgot most of it (Still remember Ms. Havisham and that cake...yuck!).

Dec 13, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob_McBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some other Dickens books like A Tale of Two Cities. Lots of good reading available.

Wait, are you saying TOTC is a good book?
blink.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 22
I read Great Expectations last year, and to be honest, i could not stand it. I don't know if i'm too impatient or what, but i could not read more then a chapter without getting bored out of my mind. I understand where people would like the book, just not my taste.

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #7 of 22
I find Dickens like I find Tolkien. Bloated and overwritten beyond any possible hope of enjoyment. I also think that Dickens, for all of the "charm" or "intricacy" that his books may have, absolutely does not merit his reputation as being the Shakespeare of novels.

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #8 of 22
Dickens was gravely important in advancing the complexity of English literature. You don't have to like it, but you can't deny its significance.

And the Dickens/Tolkien relationship is absolutely incorrect. Tolkien, in all honesty, was a constantly-stoned author of, as Duggeh put it, "bloated and overwritten" literature. Dickens, on the other hand, implemented innovative and new (at the time) usages of humor, wit, and character elasticity (or lack thereof) to significantly further his meaning. The two are not at all in the same category. Dickens' contribution to English literature was MUCH greater in importance and achievement.

Dec 13, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait, are you saying TOTC is a good book?
blink.gif

A Tale of Two Cities was a beautiful book. I LOVED the ending.

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you implying it's not?

Are you implying an insinuation of any implication that it may or may not be one or the other?
rs1smile.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you implying an insinuation of any implication that it may or may not be one or the other?
rs1smile.gif

Haha, thanks for the laugh, Duggeh.

I guess the book is more enjoyable when you don't have a time limit set on it and have to analyze it beyond any scrap of fun
plainface.gif

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:19 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find Dickens like I find Tolkien. Bloated and overwritten beyond any possible hope of enjoyment. I also think that Dickens, for all of the "charm" or "intricacy" that his books may have, absolutely does not merit his reputation as being the Shakespeare of novels.

Tolkien and Dickens are on completely different levels.

Don't even begin to compare them.

-Matt

Dec 13, 2006 at 5:26 AM Post #14 of 22
To be clear: I didnt compare them, I said I found reading them to be the same way. Too much for my perhaps constipated mind to take in. As far as writing style in itself is concerned, the only similarity that they have is that I dont enjoy either of them.

I really wish I did though, Id love to be able to enjoy Dickens, Milton, Keets, Melville, Tolstoy. However my shallow mind is happier with Pratchett and Forsythe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back