Great Electronica (give me suggestions!)
Dec 28, 2008 at 7:49 AM Post #61 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The title asks for electronica but the main posts asks for trance and electronic music. This lead me to believe that the OP uses these terms interchangeably and is looking for electronic music in general. I personally don't think "electronica" is a real genre anyway.

Well, yea, electronica has many sub genres but far less than just electronic so it is not really a genre on it's own but it does refer to more modern contemporary electronic music and not old school electronic music.

I finally read the OPs original post and see now he wants more than just electronic'a' suggestions. This is really on the outside but I think the OP would really like Mike Oldfield Tubular Bells and Hergdest Ridge even though they are not electronic music. They are like listenig to Tangeringe Dream albums in their composition though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hergest_Ridge_(album)

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:19 PM Post #62 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by demoNMaCHiN3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally don't think "electronica" is a real genre anyway.

I used to be big fan of the term electronica. Now that I'm older, not so much. To me it has caused more confusion and debate than anything. People can't help but segment it. That's my two cents.

Of note, this is a relatively older thread. T.B.N. hasn't been active for over eight months.

I'll add Squarepusher's Just Another Visitor as one of the better albums I"ve heard recently. Techy DnB mixed with fusion. It's an odd mix, yet thrilling and creative to my ears.

Dec 28, 2008 at 7:21 PM Post #63 of 78
I just call everything Electronic. That's what it is after all.

In my opinion, and based on your current listening, The Cinematic Orchestra might be to your taste. They're not heavily electronic, but they have a really unique sound that is incredibly addictive.

Definitely check out the album 'Ma Fleur'
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 28, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #65 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by BadassBob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Misted Muppet
SynSun
Sesto Sento
Infected Mushroom (older stuff to be exact...pre-2004)
Ott
Shpongle
Hallucinogen
Astrix
Outersect
HiFi Companions
Talpa
Koxbox

YES!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's not forget the grand master of electronic music, Brian Eno.

I have Black Tape For a Blue Girl and I classify them as Darkwave/Neoclassical, same with Delerium. Frontline Assembly and Front242 I classify as Industrial music. I don't think Richie Hawtin has been mentioned yet. He is very good electronic artist.

Richie Hawtin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard some Bluetech that I liked too.

Bluetech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think all the other eelctronic I like has already been mentioned. My favourite is Autechre from the 1990's period (Amber, Tri Repetae and Incanabula) but don't care for their newer sound as it is too discordant and is completely devoid of melody.

Bluetech is awesome!!

I'll add:

Afgin (Free album)
CPU
Doof
Electro Sun
Etnica
Jikkenteki
Loud
Master Margherita
Pleiadians
Prometheus
Solar Fields
Space Cat
Vibe Tribe
vibrasphere
Younger Brother

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #66 of 78
Only one mention of Leftfield.. Shame on us all! Leftism is an astounding album: an encapsulation for a generation of this sort of music and an indication of what was to come in electronica.. Essential in any music library.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #67 of 78
The Orb - Orbum Terrarum, UF Orb, Live 93
Sphongle - All Three Albums
Koxbox - U-Turn and first album (don't remember name)
Hallucinogen - Both albums.. Twisted & Lone Deranger
Juno Reactor - the best of CD is really good.. you can find it on Amazon.
Infected Mushroom - The Gathering, Classical Mushroom, and BP Empire.. BP Empire is ridiculously good.
Prometheus - Corridor of Mirrors and Robot-o-Chan
Aphex Twin - Richard D James Album
Squarepusher - Go Plastic
Fatboy Slim - Better Living Through Chemistry, You've Come a Long Way Baby
Cosmosis - Cosmology & Howling at the Moon EP
Ott - In Dub (Hallucinogen remix album) and Blumenkraft
Ozric Tentacles - lots of good albums
Eat Static - Abduction, Crash & Burn, Science of the Gods, De-Classified
X2 on Leftism by Leftfield.. haven't heard that one in a while, but I remember it was pretty good.

Dec 31, 2008 at 5:49 PM Post #68 of 78
Goldfrapp (vocals)
Ladytron (vocals)
Matmos
Tangerine Dream
Synergy
Amethystium
Banco De Gaia
Higher Intelligence Agency
The Fiery Furnaces (vocals)
Venus Hum (vocals)
Jean Michael Jarre
Amon Tobin
Kitaro

Jan 10, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #70 of 78
Wow, what a great thread. It's almost like the yellow pages of electronica. Don't forget Future Sound of London and Saul Stokes.

On the deeper and/or more atmospheric side, I recommend Steve Roach, Robert Rich, Vidna Obmana, Alio Die, Biff Johnson, Paul Schutze, David Parsons, Temps Perdu, Vir Unis, and the latter offerings of Patrick O'Hearn.

Are we there yet?
cool.gif

Jan 10, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #71 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by LHS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really like Prefuse 73

Seconded...
Thirded...
GOOOAALLLL!!!!!

I dont make sence, but definatly check Prefuse 73 out...i bow to them.

They make the weirdest sounds come together and feel whole.
L3000.gif

Jan 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #75 of 78
did anyone mention BT a.k.a Brian Transeau.

the guy is highly talented..he sings, he composes and he does DJing,..u shud see his Stage6 Interview.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back