Great Electronica (give me suggestions!)
Apr 11, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #46 of 78
x2 for for Shpongle. Intelligent and seductive electronica. They are working on their fourth album now.

Aside from that, 70ies Tangerine Dream is wonderful, as are many of Klaus Schulze's records.

Apr 15, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #49 of 78
just recieved two bogdan irkük, a.k.a. bulgari, records.
great if you like the "cosmic" italo sound!
biggrin.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #50 of 78
I'll also add:

Simian mobile disco - Attack, decay, sustain, release
Playgroup - playgroup
2manyDJs - As heard on radio soulwax vol2
Stylophonic - man, music, technology

and on a slightly different idea
Senor coconut - El Baile Aleman (Kraftwerk songs in a latin music style) As weird as this sounds it actually works!

Dec 25, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #51 of 78
I listen to a wide variety
smily_headphones1.gif
But if anyone is interested ill name a few of my fav. Alot of Minimal/Techno/Electro etc.

James Zabiela
Sven Vath
Trentemoller
Luciano
Tocadisco
MSTRKRFT
Surkin
Toxic Avenger
Cut Copy
Redial
Boyz Noise
Ladyhawke

Dec 25, 2008 at 2:55 PM Post #52 of 78
Let's not forget the grand master of electronic music, Brian Eno.

I have Black Tape For a Blue Girl and I classify them as Darkwave/Neoclassical, same with Delerium. Frontline Assembly and Front242 I classify as Industrial music. I don't think Richie Hawtin has been mentioned yet. He is very good electronic artist.

Richie Hawtin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I heard some Bluetech that I liked too.

Bluetech - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think all the other eelctronic I like has already been mentioned. My favourite is Autechre from the 1990's period (Amber, Tri Repetae and Incanabula) but don't care for their newer sound as it is too discordant and is completely devoid of melody.

Dec 25, 2008 at 3:12 PM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by ditzydj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

more "industrial/darker"

Yello

Yello??? They are light sounding and not very good IMO. Not industrial or dark at all. Art of Noise is a much better choice for similar style to Yello.

Let's not forget the OP asked specifically for 'electronica' the 'a' at the end of electronic refers to a much less broader range than just electronic music. Even Brain Eno is not a good choice if you are looking for electronica. Aphex Twin, Autechre, The Orb, Richie Hawtin etc. is.

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #54 of 78
personally, my recommendations are:

Boards of Canada
Aphex Twin
Autechre
Four Tet
Squarepusher
Plaid

start with those.. some of the best

Dec 25, 2008 at 10:41 PM Post #55 of 78
Here are the artists I listen to (all different genres of electronic music, from drum and bass to trance to house, etc.):

Armin van Buuren, Above & Beyond, Aly and Fila, m.o.r.p.h., BT, Markus Schulz, Tiesto, Gouryella, Paul van Dyk, Agnelli & Nelson, Veracocha, Ferry Corsten (System F), Blank & Jones, Three Drives on a Vinyl, George Acosta, Solar Stone, Gabriel & Dresden, Tilt, Andy Moor, and Oliver Lieb (Spicelab, L.S.G.), Thrillseekers, Chicane, Sash!, Sasha, John Digweed, Nick Warren, Deep Dish, Sharam, Dubfire, Dave Seaman, Paul Oakenfold, Oceanlab, ATB, Junkie XL, Basement Jaxx, Leftfield, 4 Strings, Apollo 440, Aphrodite, Goldie, Grooverider, Andy C, Adam F, Bad Company, Roni Size, LTJ Bukem, Chase & Status, Dilinja, Lemon D, Shy FX, Spor, Noisia, Teebee, Evol Intent, Calyx, Fabio, J Majik, Dieselboy, Photek, Concord Dawn, Pendulum, Derek Howell, Sander Kleinenberg, Aphex Twin, Juan Atkins, Richie Hawtin, Kevin Saunderson (E-Dancer), Derrick May, Jeff Mills, Plastikman, Way Out West, Orbital, The Crystal Method, The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, Moby, Fatboy Slim, Danny Tenaglia, Benga, Omni Trio, Boards of Canada, µ-Ziq, Autechre, Ulrich Schnauss, Infected Mushroom, Carl Cox, Felix da Housecat, Speedy J, Underworld, Kenny Larkin, Mauro Picotto, Energy 52, A Guy Called Gerald, Ed Rush & Optical, 808 State, Altern8, Matrix, High Contrast, Counterstrike

Think that's most of it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Might have missed a few though.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #56 of 78
zero 7 - simple things
058f224128a034172e494010.L.jpg

air - moon safari
a019828fd7a084944ed30110.L.jpg

jazzanova - in between
31NE2DSNFRL._SS500_.jpg

groove armada - vertigo
41ldQkBu%2B6L._SS500_.jpg

thievery corporation - the mirror conspiracy
41RF3HC33ML._SS500_.jpg

dj shadow - preemptive strike
a87b225b9da0ee5c84523110.L.jpg

Dec 27, 2008 at 3:51 AM Post #57 of 78
ratatat, air france, animal collective, bjork, boys noize, girl talk, holy ****, justice, karin reijer, the knife, lcd soundsystem, mia, santogold, massive attack, MODESELEKTOR!!!!!, mum!!!, portishead, and - if they count- radiohead and sigur ros

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:49 AM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, if you people are going to list non electronica bands then I will throw in 808 State as a good choice.

The title asks for electronica but the main posts asks for trance and electronic music. This lead me to believe that the OP uses these terms interchangeably and is looking for electronic music in general. I personally don't think "electronica" is a real genre anyway.

Dec 27, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #60 of 78
Infected Mushrooms. Tune up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back