Great Electronica (give me suggestions!)
Apr 2, 2008 at 7:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 78

T.B.N.

100+ Head-Fier
I really like electronic music, although it's hard to get into it after being a fan of rock for so long, being that no one I know listens to it...

Luckily, I've stumbled across some really cool crap over the years, but I want more! Here is what I know (and like):

Popular electronica:
Massive Attack
Thievery Corporation
Portishead

Stuff that none of my friends listen to but I like:
the Orb (weird but good)
Vangelis (old-school, I like it)

Can anyone give me some suggestions for stuff that I might like? I want to listen to some trance too, but I don't know where to start...

Apr 2, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 78
I'm a big fan of Portishead and Massive Attack, so you might like some of the electronic music I like. My tastes: Amon Tobin, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Venetian Snares, Boards of Canada, . . . If you are on iTunes, check out their iTunes Essentials list for "Experimental Electronica." That'll give you a lot of interesting music to check out.

Bryan

Apr 2, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #4 of 78
Hooverphonic

listen to samples (some full tracks, esp older albums) under Discography
A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular (Inhaler, 2Wicky, Revolver)
Blue Wonder Powder Milk (Eden, Lung, Out of Tune)
Magnificent Tree (Autoharp, Everytime We Live Together..., L'Odeur Animale)
More Sweet Music (CD2 - no more sweet music 30 sec sample)
No More Sweet Music (CD1 - no more sweet music 30 sec sample, different mix)

very heady headphone sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:35 PM Post #7 of 78
The bigs one are already covered, so here are some more obscure artists. The ones toward the end are more "blurred" as to whether they are actually in the genre of electronica or not.

See if you like Ochre - Sticklebrick Symphony

To be honest I haven't listened to much else of his stuff - but I really like that one a lot!

One of my favorite electronica artists: 65daysofstatic

Also, if you played any old video games from NES to SNES, check out xoc ; he "covers" video game music using live guitar and electronica, and he also "covers" existing / writes new music using (low)-bit electronic instruments.

...also, and this is getting a little blurry, because of live vocals, but you might try something like ghostinthewater.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #8 of 78
Kraftwerk is pretty much my favorite. The album Trans-Europe Express is pretty much an alltime classic, and then you have the Man-Machine, etc etc.

I'm the operator of my pocket calculator.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #9 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt fury /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Kraftwerk is pretty much my favorite. The album Trans-Europe Express is pretty much an alltime classic, and then you have the Man-Machine, etc etc.

I'm the operator of my pocket calculator.

Can't believe I forgot Kraftwerk.

Autobahn is magic.

Apr 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM Post #10 of 78
Niice, a lot here to check out...

so far I heard some Hovephonic-- it's pretty awesome. I'll definitely be getting one of their cd's.

That Ochre track is sweet too, especially the "beat' comes in (if you can call it that, it's kinda ambient-ish)

thanks for the link to CBS.nu, internet radio is pretty awesome especially to hear music you haven't heard before

there's a lot here, thanks I'll definitely check it all out.

Apr 2, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #14 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheAnomaly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LCD soundsystem
smily_headphones1.gif

I shall scope these guys out, thanks for the heads up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back