Great crooners of our time?
Jul 24, 2005 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Tech2

1000+ Head-Fier
I was watching Bruce Almighty (meh) the other night, which features a scene with Tony Bennett singing, and it got me wondering:

We've had Frank, Perry Como, Mel Torme, Nat, and Bing, along with Tony Bennett (and others). Once they are gone, who will take their place?

The only contemporary I can think of, who's style is old school, is Harry Connick Jr.

Are there any others, or are we witnessing the passing of an era only to be enjoyed through recordings?

Jul 25, 2005 at 9:04 AM Post #3 of 6
Surely Chris Isaak qualifies.

And this might be stretching a bit, but...Dave Gahan (Depeche Mode)?

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:24 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
Are there any others, or are we witnessing the passing of an era only to be enjoyed through recordings?

Very few. Maybe in the Country genre with George Jones or Don Williams.

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tech2
I was watching Bruce Almighty (meh) the other night, which features a scene with Tony Bennett singing, and it got me wondering:

We've had Frank, Perry Como, Mel Torme, Nat, and Bing, along with Tony Bennett (and others). Once they are gone, who will take their place?

The only contemporary I can think of, who's style is old school, is Harry Connick Jr.

YOu've either got to widen your defintion of "crooner" or accept that those stylists thrived in an era of singers working with jazz swing bands or big bands, and not the singer-songwriters that came of age in the 60's, or the male leaders of rock bands.

I prefer to widen the definition. Thom Yorke from Radiohead croons his head off (you just can't understand what he is saying, LOL). Doesn't Bono croon? Ddin't Jon Anderson croon, or Robert Plant? I even think Neil Young croons a bit, but his sound is pretty far away if you use Sinatra or Bennet as the model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back