Great Christian albums?
Dec 22, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #77 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopPop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Christian music, originally called Jesus Music, once fearlessly sang clearly about the gospel. Now it yodels of a Christ-less, watered down, pabulum-based, positive alternative, aura-fluff, cream of wheat, mush-kind-of-syrupy, God-as-my-girlfriend kind of thing."

-Steve Camp, thesis 41, "A Call for Reformation in the Contemporary Christian Music Industry"

It's interesting to read of Steve Camp's quote here.

Looking back at the history of music however, I guess I would take issue with the narrowness of Camp's views.

The Christian Vespers of the the medieval century; the liturgical works of the church; the vespers and the plainsongs throughout centuries of music - have never borne such sterility which Camp describes. Palestrina; Mozart; Bach; Beethoven; Handel and countless others from the pre-modern era; Gorecki; Szymanowski; Taneyev; Arvo Part, Gubaidalina, Dutilleux and Messaien from the modern era.

So Camp is referring only to modern 'pop' music. Camp seems to describe the post 1970's shift, from 'Jesus music', which was, probably in its founding days, an essential and important genre for some 'christians'. However today? Do we really need hectoring and preaching to the converted? Does he really think, that atheists and non-christians, want to listen to dire music, strapped along with preachy lyrics?

Camp forgets' St Francis' maxim: "Preach Christ always: if necessary - use words".

Instead, Camp seems to think that a quota of words, including 'Jesus', makes one a 'christian' artist. This is incredibly shallow, and typical of the fundamentalism inherent in some of the Jesus music pioneers' attitudes today.

What on earth is 'christian music' anyway? How does 'christian music' differ, from 'christian mathematics'? Is there such a thing as 'christian mathematics even?

Is there such a thing as christian music then?

I do listen to a lot of music by artists who profess christian faith on a personal level; whose work, reveals that faith, rather than purposely being spun around that faith in a didactic and preachy manner.

Here's some:

Bruce Cockburn
The Innocence Mission
Over the Rhine
Maire Brennan
Iona
Susan Enan
Sixteen Horsepower
Vigilantes of Love
The Choir (earlier works until Kissers & Killers - then they went downhill)
Adam Again (fantastic band, cut short by the death of Eugene)
Riki Michele (the wife of the lead singer of Adam Again)
The Prayer Chain (cool band, but disbanded)
Starflyer 59 (cool band that we all seem to love!)

However most are not on a 'christian' label: this cannot be the deciding factor for what 'christian music' is.

Maybe we need to mature, and grow out of pigeon-holing artists as a 'christian artist' or not a christian artist? Who are we to judge anyway? If their lyrics are meaningful to us; then there is some light in the music we hear. Isn't it more important to engage with music which moves us; is meaningful to us, rather than just to wave, because it has some kind of 'christian' label on it?

Music can shed some light. Not all the light. If we want all the light - then it isn't music we turn to. Music isn't capable of possessing this. It is a form of art; a spiritual expression; an expression of praise; a movement towards sanctuary....however if one's music collection is all there is that constitutes spiritual life, then it isn't really much of a life.....

If that makes sense...

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #80 of 96
belle.jpg

Al Green - The Belle Album

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:51 AM Post #81 of 96
Head_Case: very insightful discourse on defining Christian music. Having written a few reviews of CCM albums for my church's youth ministry site, I've had to grapple with that same issue myself.

Btw for the TS: been listening to Michael Gungor's "Bigger Than My Imagination". It's a very well-recorded worship album; great acoustic guitar there, and while the songs themselves aren't lyrically outstanding, they are sung with a level of conviction that's hard to ignore. =)
On lyrics: second the vote for Sara Groves. "Tell Me What You Know" and her latest, "Fireflies and Songs" are finely writ, although "Add To The Beauty" may be her best album to date.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM Post #83 of 96
How about Phil Keaggy........His early "Glass Harp" stuff!!! Killer guitar player northern Ohio.....Check out "Synergy" or "It Makes me Glad"

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #85 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm always surprised to hear Christain hardcore punk. Oh then there's 'white metal' for extra jaw dropping action!

Yes I'm not being helpful. Can I be the fail comic relief character?

White Metal? I've got White Power Metal.
YouTube - worst metal band ever

No ban please >_>

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM Post #86 of 96
sufjan stevens is a christian artist that's totally inoffensively christian. i mean that, even if your unaffiliated, you won't felt preached too. but if you believe, you will definitely find a bit more beauty in his music. and oh man, is his music beautiful. i'm listening to it right now actually. (cd: http://www.amazon.com/Illinois-Sufja.../dp/B0009R1T7M) great stuff.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #88 of 96
I'll probably echo some that have already been mentioned. It really depends on what kind of music you're into, I suppose, and what do you define as a "Christian Band"...but here's a few of my favorites in no particular order (these are all artists I enjoy):

The Innocence Mission
Nickel Creek
Gillian Welch
16 Horsepower
Woven Hand
Sufijan Stevens
Over the Rhine
Live

Patty Griffin just came out with Downtown Church, which I'm starting to warm up to after a few listens (love her original stuff - this is mostly traditionals)

Rickie Lee Jones has a few recent efforts that speak to her beliefs, though the one that most directly addresses them is one of my least favorite of her albums (The Sermon on Exposition Blvd.).

Bob Dylan has several albums that speak to this as well.

Feb 1, 2010 at 12:47 AM Post #89 of 96
I didn't see this title being mentioned so I will throw in an old song:

Album: Winds Of Worship 12 - Live From London
Title: Come Now Is The Time To Worship

May 7, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #90 of 96
I like very little modern Christian music (give me some hymns!), but I like Mat Kearney, and Dustin Kensrue (lead singer of Thrice; has a couple solo albums out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back