Great article on why Bose suck, and a critical dissection of the acoustimass 15.
Feb 28, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 7
I read some of that article. As much as I agree that bose is overpriced and not that great, the author seems to be overly critical. Most people who buy bose arent audiophiles to begin with, and are being sold to a specific market that wants a more stylish and compact system. If they actually cared about high sound quality, they would probably try to do more research than go to a best buy or bose store, and go to an actual audio store. I am no audiophile and have no problems in saying that I dont mind listening to my mom's bose lifestyle system for casual listening etc. I personally wouldnt have bought the system, esp after I got my B&W 601's which i love, but I feel that most listeners, including me, think the bose system sounds fine.

Feb 28, 2005 at 7:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
I read some of that article. As much as I agree that bose is overpriced and not that great, the author seems to be overly critical. Most people who buy bose arent audiophiles to begin with, and are being sold to a specific market that wants a more stylish and compact system. If they actually cared about high sound quality, they would probably try to do more research than go to a best buy or bose store, and go to an actual audio store. I am no audiophile and have no problems in saying that I dont mind listening to my mom's bose lifestyle system for casual listening etc. I personally wouldnt have bought the system, esp after I got my B&W 601's which i love, but I feel that most listeners, including me, think the bose system sounds fine.

The point isn't that Bose sounds bad per se, to most listeners (yourself included) it probably is a big step-up, compared to what they are used to. The point is that the quality you get from your Bose system could be had for much less money, or conversely, the money you spent on your Bose system could get you much more performance through better components.

Feb 28, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 7
edit

Feb 28, 2005 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
This has been posted and discussed at least twice before. Try using the search.

I know we've discussed that Bose is crap on this forum before, but I hadn't seen this article on here before so I posted it. Sorry I'll use the search next time.

Feb 28, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by backdrifter
Most listeners don't like the idea of wasting their money and being mislead by advertising. Most people want something that is at least manufactured to a reasonable level of quality before spending that kind of money.

If they were that concerned about it, people would to their research.

I thought that the parts of the article talking about the Bose displays in audio stores made the company look a bit underhanded. For the rest of it, it sounds like they make overpriced, underperforming speakers. No one's forcing them to buy Bose and if people wanted to do a little research, they'd find there are better alternatives. Can't fault Bose for advertising and telling people they think their products are great, can you? Maybe the other, respected names in HiFi could take out some magazine ads in mainstream magazines?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back