Great Amps to drive the old Joe Grado's?
Nov 19, 2003 at 1:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Jono3642

Head-Fier
Wondering what are some good amps to drive let's say (sr-100,sr-200, sr-300)

Maximum price for amp is about $400.

Also, I know the Joe's have a higher impedance but has anyone tried the RA-1 with them, any good?

Nov 19, 2003 at 2:33 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Jono3642
Wondering what are some good amps to drive let's say (sr-100,sr-200, sr-300) Maximum price for amp is about $400. Also, I know the Joe's have a higher impedance but has anyone tried the RA-1 with them, any good?

Looking for tubes or solid state ? Your music preferences would come into play as well (fill out your profile
wink.gif
)

With a little patience & luck you might find the old Joe Grado HA-1 or HA-2 on Audiogon in your price range. Or with a few bucks more perhaps a Melos SHA-1.

I might be wrong, but I believe the impedance to be 40 ohms, slightly higher than the current day 32 ohm models but the RA-1 will drive them just fine. (Just tried the 100s on the RA-1...)

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 6
My favorite solid state amp with the HP-1000 was the Gilmore V2. I compared it to several great designs. Joe Grado phones and the Gilmore go really well together.

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #4 of 6
I think Vwap is selling a Melos SHA-1 right now. Best bang for your buck for HP-1000's. Do a search its nearly unani
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 19, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #5 of 6
I going to have to go with the Gilmore amps here also. Both the V2 and the Se mate very nicely with my HP-1s...

Nov 19, 2003 at 4:13 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for the replies

I was thinking about the melos but does it have a very tubey sound. Just I don't want to mess with the pure neutrality of the grados.

I am into all kinds of music to be honest, Pink Floyd, Zepplin, classical etc, (whatever is good) so I need an all purpose amp.

How does the Gilmore compare to the RA-1. I would expect it to be better but is it night and day. You can get Ra1's for $175 if you look hard enough and that is certainly preferable to $400.

Finally, does anyone know if the Melos has a switch mode power supply. I may be moving back to England and need to know if it will work.

Any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back