"Great" Albums you just don't "get"?
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #46 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see, you've similarly used the quotation marks around the word great just like the topic title. I thought this was implied that it's widely considered "great"

FWIW Iron Maidens Fear of The Dark was not a "great" album, and neither was Floyd's "The Final Cut"

Care to give me the name of the deity who decided this?

All I know is that within Floyd circles there are plenty of people considering Final Cut one of their greatest.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #47 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REM, now that's a mystery. REM, U2 and Radiohead all sound sort of the same to me.

I think Radiohead used to open for REM.
dt880smile.png

Can't see the similarity, but Stipe really liked them, I guess.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #48 of 239
Quote:

Care to give me the name of the deity who decided this?

pick one, or many

Quote:

All I know is that within Floyd circles there are plenty of people considering Final Cut one of their greatest.

perhaps, but it isn't one that is usually mentioned in the same breath as Dark Side, WYWH or even The Wall.

Imagine if they had put out a SACD of Final Cut instead of Dark Side...

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:08 AM Post #49 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would say Radiohead, but I've never been able to even get through an entire album they're so awful. I've heard a few songs here and there that seem okay (fake plastic trees, I could be wrong - not even sure what albums they come from), but usually whenever I hear that caterwauling voice I just tune out. Creep is my favorite song by them, lol.

Thom Yorke seems like a cool guy, but I just don't get their music. It's like they're intentionally trying to be depressed/depressing, right? Like it's really deep to be depressed because society is in such a bad state of fragmented alienation from all the technology, is that the general idea?
confused.gif

*sigh*
I knew clicking on this thread would make me angry...

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #50 of 239
Love Pink Floyd, like Muse, but radiohead I just dont get what the hype is about. I thought there live album was the most listenable for whatever reason.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:15 AM Post #51 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
*sigh*
I knew clicking on this thread would make me angry...

Go listen to some Radiohead, maybe it will cheer you up, lol.
dt880smile.png

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #52 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
see, you've similarly used the quotation marks around the word great just like the topic title. I thought this was implied that it's widely considered "great"

I considered that. I guess I was just hoping that wasn't what this thread was really about.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:30 AM Post #54 of 239
Gonna go with Radiohead also.

To clarify, I really like The Bends. However, OK Computer bores the heck out of me. I tried listening to Kid A, Hail to the Thief and Amnesiac a few times but I just can't do it, it's too dull for me.

I hope this qualifies, but I also wanna throw in the Grateful Dead. Never been a big fan at all. Went on a trip with my dad and he just listened to this Grateful Dead station for hours, it was rough. Can't think of any specific albums.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:39 AM Post #55 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything by Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin or Radiohead.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Uthadude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This seems understandable given your username.
(That's not a value judgment, just an observation)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HipHopScribe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be a silly (and incorrect) judgment to make.

I agree with you. That’s why I wasn’t making a judgment. Just an observation.

My interpretation of the thread was kinda like, “what’s an album (by a band that you already like or have other albums by) that you didn’t get (or buy or like or understand)?

When I saw your post and username I smiled. I thought to myself, I don’t “get” anything trance. But in my case it really means don’t “like”.

As for Radiohead, I only had one song of theirs, and I liked it: Idioteque. So I got some other stuff by them. Didn’t “get” much of it.

The album I don’t “get” is Alison Krause & Robert Plant. Love them separately. Don’t “get” them together.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #56 of 239
I hate to pile on Radiohead because I really like a lot of their material, but the first album that comes to my mind is Kid A. OK Computer is easily one of my favorite albums, but Kid A just seems too....sterile.

I find Kid A interesting (I think I actually said "that's interesting" a couple times the first time I heard it) but nothing on there makes me feel anything. It's like a joke that makes you say "that's funny" instead of a joke that actually makes you laugh.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #57 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Qonmus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope this qualifies, but I also wanna throw in the Grateful Dead. Never been a big fan at all. Went on a trip with my dad and he just listened to this Grateful Dead station for hours, it was rough. Can't think of any specific albums.

I almost thought you meant something else at first.
k701smile.gif

Funny image though - kid sitting in the car rolling his eyes while his dad listens to the grateful dead for hours. Maybe he thought it would get you into them -- leetle did he know heez master plan would backfire.
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #58 of 239
Quote:

Interesting, I've never met anyone who actually liked it. I've never spent much time on music boards so maybe that's why.

My bet is that if someone did a pole like the Beatles pole going on now, Final Cut wouldn't be near the top of PF albums.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #59 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by userlander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I almost thought you meant something else at first.
k701smile.gif

Funny image though - kid sitting in the car rolling his eyes while his dad listens to the grateful dead for hours. Maybe he thought it would get you into them -- leetle did he know heez master plan would backfire.
biggrin.gif

haha, I didn't even consider that.

And shoot, a little kid? This was a year ago. 21 year old me and my 62 year old dad driving listening to this deadhead station on XM Radio. After the third hour I was like "****, Dad, are you high or what? Enough Dead for me."

We went on another trip just a few months ago during which we were glued to this Elvis station for nearly two hours. Thank god my Mother was with us to change the station before it got ugly.

Now there's another one. Elvis, anyone?

I have Elvis at Sun, and I like it, but most Elvis I just can't enjoy.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #60 of 239
re: Final Cut

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, I've never met anyone who actually liked it.

LMAO on progarchives.com, even the More soundtrack (3.17) is rated higher than TFC (3.15) among the PF studio releases.

I can't be bothered to cull the results from the Floyd Fans net, but it seems there isn't another album with a wide ranging score (from 2 to 9) in part due to the fact that it's primarily a Waters solo album

edit: Qonmus ... 21 is a tad late to intiate anyone into the Dead (without the help of pharmaceuticals)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back