"Great" Albums you just don't "get"?
Oct 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #3 of 239
Anything by Radiohead.

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 239
Metal:

Metallica - Master of Puppets (sounds like a copypasta of RtL to me)
Iron Maiden - Powerslave (they sound so old and uncreative in this album)
Slayer - Reign in Blood (I liked them until this album)
Anything from Dream Theater (useless band)

Rock:

The Beatles - The White Album (the most tedious of their albums to listen through)
AC/DC - Back in Black (useless band)
Radiohead - OK Computer(pretentious X10000)
Yes - Close to the Edge (has aged incredibly badly)

Classical music:

Anything from Gardiner (especially his beethoven)
Gould's Goldberg
Ruberstein's Chopin
Bernstein's Mahler
Klemperer's St Matthew Passion
Any mono recording of symphonies (no soundstage = automatic suck)

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 239
it looks like people don't realize listing a band/album here is acknowledgment that the band/album is, in fact, great

btw, WhoTF are Lloyd Zeppelin
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #9 of 239
Amazingly interesting topic title... =D

Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Not the most popular albums from the band, but still. I find it plain boring, even the biggest hits are pretty weak.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:36 PM Post #10 of 239
I dunno…if I don't get something, I have a hard time thinking of it as "great." Everyone else is just wrong.
biggrin.gif

For the record, though, I actually know there's artistic merit in both the Fugees's The Score and Kanye West's The College Dropout, but there's an obviousness in each's music choices that I find annoyingly contrived.

DMahler: Without being presumptuous, if my bead on your taste is accurate, I think you may not get Horses because you're a melody-above-all-else kinda guy, and that record's really not about melody in any straightforward way. It's sorta like the way Linton Kwesi Johnson describes dub poetry, or at least why he started out reading and ended up with a band: "the rhythm of the language is the rhythm of the music, and the language of the music is the language of the verse". To me, it's almost like Patti isn't trying to make rock & roll on Horses; at that particular moment in time, she is rock & roll, as expansive as anyone might want it to be. If there's a problem with her music today, it's that she often seems stuck in that moment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rubenstein's Chopin

Damn, I thought that was just me.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it looks like people don't realize listing a band/album here is acknowledgment that the band/album is, in fact, great

This could turn into a listing of bands or albums particular people don't like and never could like cause it's not a style of music that they could be interested in.

My interpretation of the question is to list a great album that you could have liked and that you like other albums in the genre and you want to like the album but that particular album just doesn't do it for you and never will.

I'm not sure what to list for myself. I'll have to look through my collection and think about it.

Oct 21, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #12 of 239
@Ham: I think that's a relevant distinction and worth thinking about.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM Post #13 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anything by Radiohead.

x2

Plus Pat Metheny
ph34r.gif

I consider myself very open minded with guitarists liking some of the "out there" albums from Steve Vai, Al di Meola, Buckethead, John McLaughlan, etc. But Pat Metheny makes me feel like I'm listening to someone on acid with a midi. I want to hear actual guitar playing - and a guitar that sounds at least a little like a guitar.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #14 of 239
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This could turn into a listing of bands or albums particular people don't like and never could like cause it's not a style of music that they could be interested in.

Nah…I think Head-fiers are a bit more thoughtful than that. Looking at the thread thus far, I don't get the sense that any of the choices amount to, "What's up with people liking that stupid genre, let alone that album?!?" I mean, I could have chosen, say, Nick Drake, but truth is, I actually find his music kinda ponderous and boring (and have argued about it plenty), whereas with the Fugees and Kanye it's almost like what makes their music good is kinda what rubs me wrong…if that makes any sense.
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back